Careers you dreamed about doing but were too afraid to try?

Started by Martinus, October 09, 2009, 03:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: alfred russel on October 09, 2009, 05:03:49 PM
Academia
Reporter
Self-Employment

The above three are the careers that I've most wanted to follow in my life. I'm applying for grad school now, worked as a freelance writer for several years, and will be working for a woman helping her build up her company from a one-woman business to a 15-20 person factory. So I've sort of toyed with all of the careers that I wanted to do.

Oh, and add novelist to the list. I've written a book, but it was crap. I'll be working on another one at Christmas Break, when I have four weeks off from work.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 09, 2009, 04:36:13 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on October 09, 2009, 03:31:37 PM
Uncle Sam once offered me the opportunity to get my PhD and then design telecom equipment for the Air Force.  It would have been a cut in pay, and I would have had to move to Dayton, but there are days I wish I had taken him up on the offer.

Still better than Detroit. Dayton's government functions. Sorta.

And Rhine McLin leads the world in silly hat technology; but Dayton would still be low on the list of places I to which I would want to move.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

saskganesh

long story but I got discouraged from being a writer and journo around 1989. mostly because I was in a situation, did not stick up for myself, and just walked away. but by 95 I made the same decision again, actually followed through and in 97 I had a job as a writer and a journo.

novelist and foreign correspondent remain on the dream list.
humans were created in their own image

Barrister

Why the fascination with being a writer/journalist?  :huh:

Perhaps it's from being the son of a writer (in particular, a sports writer) but it seems that while journalism has its perks, it doesn't pay well, has lots of competition, and depending on who you talk to may be a dying industry.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

I want to be a Pilot. I used to lack school notes, now I lack money.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on October 13, 2009, 03:42:21 PM
I always dreamed about being an actuary.  :)

I was around 10-12 when I decided I wanted to be a lawyer. :hug:

About a year ago I received an email from an old childhood friend of mine, who I hadn't spoken to since the age of 13.  WHen I said I was a lawyer he rpelied "nothing would have surprised me less."  :lol:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on October 13, 2009, 03:36:46 PM

Perhaps it's from being the son of a writer (in particular, a sports writer) but it seems that while journalism has its perks, it doesn't pay well, has lots of competition, and depending on who you talk to may be a dying industry.

I dream of writing a novel. However, around chapter 5 it falls apart.

Journalists though, are scum.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on October 13, 2009, 03:36:46 PM

When I was 8 or 9, I discovered the wonderful world of carbon copying paper, and took it upon myself to start my own newspaper.  I pulled my toy box out into the living room and put it in the corner so I could still watch TV, got all the really cool office supplies my parents would give me from their jobs, made a sign, and created my own News Bureau. 
I spent all Friday evening working on a legal pad, pressing really hard and writing really slow to make as many copies as I could with the carbon paper.  That one page of legal pad had tons of info on it: the state of the dogs, an interview with my 6 year old sister, news about my friends, info about dinner plans that weekend, etc.  It was cool.  I was so damned impressed.
Next morning, I'm all ready with copies of my Saturday Edition.  The whole family was there in the kitchen, and I offered copies of the newspaper for .50 to everyone: Mom, Dad, and Sis.  I was gonna clear $1.50, baby.
My Dad bought one, and said: "Now I can let Mom and your sister borrow it so now they don't have to buy one."

A career in underpaying journalism nipped right there in the fucking bud.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 13, 2009, 04:03:43 PM
Ow.  :lol:

Yeah, Dad's a real sensitive cat when it comes to dreams.

"Dad, I want to go to Annapolis and be a naval pilot."
"With your grades, you can pilot your navel anywhere you want."

"Dad, I want to go to film school."
"What, so you can refill my iced tea at Friendly's like the rest of the film school grads?"

Barrister

I remember my dad once brought home a bunch of mid-80s mock-ups for laying out a newspaper page (this was before computers did everything).  It was a bunch of wire stories, a big newspaper mock-up, and glue and exacto-knives.  That was fun. :wub: