News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Nobel Prize 2009

Started by Viking, October 07, 2009, 06:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

The Candidate has already been chosen, according to the head of the committee. There has been some discussion about a chinese dissident being chosen, but apparently the Nobel Committee doesn't want to piss off the chinese communists. But there is some speculation on who might get it. I've never heard of any of  them. Here are a few of the "hottest candidates"

Sima Samar - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sima_Samar Afghani Human and Womens Rights advocate. An apparently decent and honourable person, but I have to ask, does she honour the prize or does the prize honour her?

Prince Ghazi bin Muhammad - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Ghazi_bin_Muhammad WTF? How the fuck can you even be considered for a Nobel Prize when the only person to contribute to your wikipedia article is YOUR OWN FUCKING PRIVATE SECRETARY! I can get his CV at the Jordanian Ministry for Blue Bloods.

Piedad Córdoba - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piedad_C%C3%B3rdoba She is a FARC friendly Colombian politician who has participated in negotiations freeing 50 FARC hostages. She has been implicated in the farcopolitcs scandal and has been seen hugging and kissing FARC leaders.

If these are the hottest candidates then I am completely sure that not awarding the award is preferable.

If I had to suggest candidates I'd possibly suggest the Presidents of Armenia and Turkey for their work normalising relations, the African Union officials involved in the Darfur operation, the Niger Delta amnesty people and the people involved in the Aceh peace.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Errr perhaps it is worth mentioning what the prize is for? Chemistry? Biology? Literature?

Viking

1 - this does not belong in the gaming thread move plz. I fucked up
2 - The Prize I'm referring to is the Peace Prize.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

HisMajestyBOB

So is this like the old DOS game President Elect, where you have to try and get your nominee the prize?
Or do you play as the committee, and have to pick the best nominee?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Viking

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 07, 2009, 08:33:39 AM
So is this like the old DOS game President Elect, where you have to try and get your nominee the prize?
Or do you play as the committee, and have to pick the best nominee?

I'm an idiot, I should have posted in the Off the Record.

I've done this before. I'm an Idiot.

BVN

I must say, you always start threads about weird games. What was it last time? Pigeons or something, if I remember correctly.

Viking

Quote from: BVN on October 07, 2009, 09:11:44 AM
I must say, you always start threads about weird games. What was it last time? Pigeons or something, if I remember correctly.

:ultra: :ultra: :ultra: :ultra: :ultra:

Viking

Now that we are in the right place now lets talk about the progressive cheapening of the Nobel Peace Prize

Berkut

Afte rthe unexpected success in Iraq, it should certainly go to Bush.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Viking

Quote from: Berkut on October 07, 2009, 09:33:18 AM

I believe that he should have gotten it with Colin Powell for the South Sudan Peace Treaty.

Edit: I keep misspelling believe.

Malthus

It should be awarded to Obama - not for what he's done, but for what he's going to do.

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

A game with the goal of winning the Nobel Prize could be fun. You could win by leading a massive non-violent campaign for basic rights (MLK), for giving people false hope that you might not tolerate terrorism anymore (Arafat), or while asking tough questions such as whether western scientists created HIV to destroy Africa (someone I had never heard of). You could also get the award for very little discernable reason (Kissinger).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

And still they fail to recognise me :sigh:
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on October 07, 2009, 09:43:41 AM
...You could also get the award for very little discernable reason (Kissinger).
Ended some obscure little tiff called "The Vietnam War" and only got it because somebody named Le Duc Tho was getting half the award and the prize committee needed someone to give the other half to.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on October 07, 2009, 09:38:47 AM

It should be awarded to Obama - not for what he's done, but for what he's going to do.

;)

well, that is the reason Arafat, Rabin and Peres got it.