News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Nobel Prize 2009

Started by Viking, October 07, 2009, 06:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on October 07, 2009, 10:01:36 AM
It should be awarded to Obama - not for what he's done, but for what he's going to do.

;)

well, that is the reason Arafat, Rabin and Peres got it.
Ironically, you cannot even make that argument for Gore getting it!  :lol:

People get the Peace Prize because they are trendy in a way that catches the awards committee's fancy.  The award itself certainly has no remaining cred.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Cecil

Quote from: grumbler on October 07, 2009, 10:14:52 AM
It should be awarded to Obama - not for what he's done, but for what he's going to do.

;)

People get the Peace Prize because they are trendy in a way that catches the awards committee's fancy.  The award itself certainly has no remaining cred.

Poor ol Alfred must have been smoking some strong shit when he gave the norweigian parliament the power over this prize. :(

Cecil

In other news the good prizes seems to have found worthy recipients but then they always do....well most of the time anyhow.

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on October 07, 2009, 09:57:26 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 07, 2009, 09:43:41 AM
...You could also get the award for very little discernable reason (Kissinger).
Ended some obscure little tiff called "The Vietnam War" and only got it because somebody named Le Duc Tho was getting half the award and the prize committee needed someone to give the other half to.

Well, he didn't really end that obscure tiff, though he did play a big role in expanding it. Looking at his record globally, he was a terrible choice--and was recognized as such at the time.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Viking

Quote from: Cecil on October 07, 2009, 10:18:05 AM

;)

Poor ol Alfred must have been smoking some strong shit when he gave the norweigian parliament the power over this prize. :(

He gave it to Norway because he thought that small, independent, anti-imperialist and non-aligned norway was diametrically opposed to the larger imperialist sweden.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on October 07, 2009, 10:30:50 AM
He gave it to Norway because he thought that small, independent, anti-imperialist and non-aligned norway was diametrically opposed to the larger imperialist sweden.
Except that Norway was not only not non-aligned, it wasn't even independent, when Nobel made that decision!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

wake me up when it's the Riksbank's turn.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Fidel won't be around much longer. Is it time for his 15 minutes?

Of all the great things Nobel did keeping the Peace Prize out of Sweden is by far the greatest. Now it doesn't cheapen the real prizes.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 07, 2009, 11:59:30 AM
wake me up when it's the Riksbank's turn.

Those liberal commies?  They threw our election last year!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

I think our Languish forum should be up for a Nobel Prize for peace. Since we have a worldwide group that wisely and intelligently discusses issues in peaceable and respectful manners.   :cool:

;)

Agelastus

;)

Certainly not since Theodore Roosevelt won it, anyway.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Viking

Quote from: KRonn on October 07, 2009, 01:04:23 PM
I think our Languish forum should be up for a Nobel Prize for peace. Since we have a worldwide group that wisely and intelligently discusses issues in peaceable and respectful manners.   :cool:

;)

Imagine Siegy on Stage with Arafat. And then tell me if it is a good idea.

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on October 07, 2009, 05:19:51 PM
Quote from: KRonn on October 07, 2009, 01:04:23 PM

;)

Imagine Siegy on Stage with Arafat. And then tell me if it is a good idea.

For one, Arafat won't smell so good right now ...   :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius