Anyone else looking forward to Dragon Age? (Spoilers and plot discussion here)

Started by Berkut, October 06, 2009, 08:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 12, 2009, 02:03:15 PM
2) on my mage, I cant figure out how to tell everyone not to attack anyone when I am casting a sleep spell.  I would really like to be able to follow that up with the mass confusion spell (forget the name) which works automatically on people that are asleep and then horror on one target still asleep without having that combo messed up by my party hitting them and waking them up.
Use horror from your mage right after the sleep spell, then get everyone on that target.
Or disable tactics and do it manually.

Or, create a tactic slot that says "attack the target of main character" and immediatly attack the bad guy you want.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on November 12, 2009, 03:21:05 PM
Use horror from your mage right after the sleep spell, then get everyone on that target.
Or disable tactics and do it manually.

Wont work that way.  Using Horror on a sleeping target kills them most of the time so there is nothing there to target once horror goes off.  Also, I cant get people to attack my intended horror target before horror goes off because they might wake the target.  Further, in the time I take to cast horror my group will have attacked (and roused) other sleepers so that my Nightmare spell will be less effective.

I have tried simply getting the group to walk away for a distance while casting the trio of spells, but I dont think that works as well has Grumblers idea.

What I would really like is a command structure that says if X party members does y you do z.
That way I can tell people to stop attacking until after I cast the last of the three spells in the combination.

It might be there but I havent had enough time with the game to find it.

Kleves

Try giving your party a hold order in the advanced tactics menu. Then, unless they're standing right next to your targets, they won't go after them.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Martinus

Quote from: viper37 on November 12, 2009, 01:30:42 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 12, 2009, 12:07:15 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 12, 2009, 12:00:03 PM
FYI, you don't need to kick anyone, you can keep them.

Errr, what part of "I want to have Zevran in my party" you didn't get?
When you say "kick them out", do you mean asking them to leave your camp or simply not having them in your party?  Because you can keep everyone in camp, but only 3 in your party, and I understood as if you were willingly getting rid of characters that could be one day useful (I keep Sten for example, but  I almost never use him).

EDIT: ah, everyone answered the same :D

Ah ok sorry. I meant keeping them in your party. :)

Btw, anyone beat Flemmeth yet? I went there for Morrigan but she made a quick work of my party. I may put Sten in the party instead of Zevran next time but still I think we are too weak.

Also, bloody Wynne is a homophobe. She gave me a talking-to that it's unseemly I'm fucking Zevran. Well, that or she doesn't like me having sex with an amoral assassin who tried to kill me but I'm blaming that on racism and homophobia. :P

Either way, I'm loving Denerim. I'm working for the Chantry, the Mage Collective, the Antivian Ravens, the City Guard, the Innkeeper and the Blackstone's Irregulars. And I spent 180 silver coins on whores (after I haggled the price down to 30 silvers per pop).

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 12, 2009, 03:41:15 PM
Wont work that way.  Using Horror on a sleeping target kills them most of the time so there is nothing there to target once horror goes off.  Also, I cant get people to attack my intended horror target before horror goes off because they might wake the target.  Further, in the time I take to cast horror my group will have attacked (and roused) other sleepers so that my Nightmare spell will be less effective.

I have tried simply getting the group to walk away for a distance while casting the trio of spells, but I dont think that works as well has Grumblers idea.

What I would really like is a command structure that says if X party members does y you do z.
That way I can tell people to stop attacking until after I cast the last of the three spells in the combination.

It might be there but I havent had enough time with the game to find it.
SPACE BAR = PAUSE.
Quite useful I found ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on November 12, 2009, 07:13:05 PM
Btw, anyone beat Flemmeth yet? I went there for Morrigan but she made a quick work of my party. I may put Sten in the party instead of Zevran next time but still I think we are too weak.
You don't have to beat her, just take the grimmoir, bring it back to Morrigan.

Also, bloody Wynne is a homophobe. She gave me a talking-to that it's unseemly I'm fucking Zevran. Well, that or she doesn't like me having sex with an amoral assassin who tried to kill me but I'm blaming that on racism and homophobia. :P
I got the same speech for Morrigan.  It's not homophobia, she just doesn't think love is for you.

Either way, I'm loving Denerim. I'm working for the Chantry, the Mage Collective, the Antivian Ravens, the City Guard, the Innkeeper and the Blackstone's Irregulars. And I spent 180 silver coins on whores (after I haggled the price down to 30 silvers per pop).
Didn't spend any money on whores, but yeah I worked for everyone :)  And it's the Crows, not the Ravens.  :P

Martinus

Oh but if you take the grimoire from Flemmeth, she will eventually kill Morrigan. I want a happy ending, even for the feminazi bitch. :P

Barrister

Local EB Games finally got it. :w00t:

Now usually in RPGs I play a hott chick character, since all you do is stare at your character's ass during the game.

However with all the sex options, I'm not sure I want to play a hott chick and watch her hit on male NPCs (and lesbianism isn't really my thing either).

Decisions, decisions...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Combat is hard.  Can't figure out the tactics menu, but pausing every 3 seconds is frustrating as well...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

I got Flemeth grimoire, I found it somewhere else then with Flemeth :O

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Ok, it's a mild spoiler I just read, but apparently it's possible to have a game ending in which you enter into a political marriage with the Queen, but keep Zevran on a side as your life-time lover.

Assuming it's possible for an elf character, I'm SOOOOOOO going for this.  :cool:

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on November 12, 2009, 10:28:07 PM
Local EB Games finally got it. :w00t:

Now usually in RPGs I play a hott chick character, since all you do is stare at your character's ass during the game.
Not an issue in this game.  These toons cannot look hott, and the girls and boys look the same from behind.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on November 13, 2009, 01:00:41 AM
Combat is hard.  Can't figure out the tactics menu, but pausing every 3 seconds is frustrating as well...
In the early game, just setting up your tactics to have your tanks melee and your rogues and mages blast from a distance is going to work.

I haven't decided yet whether it is best to have my rogues switch to melee when attacked, or to use that slot to have them melee-attack anyone attacking the mage (and thus getting that sweet backstab bonus).

In a way, the tactics thing is one of the few things keeping me in this game.  I find this story much less interesting and well-done than the one in The Witcher.  NPCs in the party are amusing for a bit, but their banter gets old after a while.  Non-party NPCs are not compelling.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on November 12, 2009, 07:47:11 PM
Oh but if you take the grimoire from Flemmeth, she will eventually kill Morrigan. I want a happy ending, even for the feminazi bitch. :P
From a lead writer:
Insofar as Morrigan goes, if you're really dying to know the answer is there is no outcome where she remains by your side for a happily ever after. If you're romancing her, she very likely has warned you this would happen -- in fact, the more serious with her you become, the more reticent she gets because she knows what is coming.That may be disappointing, but she is who she is. I would suggest going through to the end and seeing how it actually plays out, but as with everything that is up to you.

So, it always ends badly.  From an hetero point of view, at least :P
[/]

Solmyr

Quote from: Cecil on November 11, 2009, 01:33:10 PM
The spirit form is probably the least useful form. You need it yes but only in 2 places total. I´d advice to go the other way instead and learn Golem and burning man form. They are useful  and needed in dozens of places. So go clockwise 2 steps then back and counterclockwise. Last but not least do the nightmares and finish up where you began. The demon fight can be pretty harsh though but doable, just make sure you got a good bit of healing.

The spirit form lets you access all the phased-out stat boosters, too.