Anyone else looking forward to Dragon Age? (Spoilers and plot discussion here)

Started by Berkut, October 06, 2009, 08:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on November 10, 2009, 11:05:33 AM
I don't understand why you would even read posts from Valmy or Grallon.  They don't bother to read yours before insulting you.

What you talkin' about Willis?  Me and Caliga are good buddies.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Solmyr

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on November 10, 2009, 01:43:39 AM
So, I have Shale now.  Wonderful character, hilarious, and I think I'll keep it as one of my four to see what it says.

But....I was not happy that the girl died because I couldn't do the sliding puzzle. I wanted to kill Kitty and keep the girl alive.

You can save the girl if a) First you agree to free the demon in exchange for not possessing the girl, and b) After you do the puzzle and she breaks the deal, get her upset so the girl gets scared and runs away.
The sliding puzzle isn't too difficult to solve, just need to rotate the right directional tiles into sequence.

Legbiter: I am a bit further in the story and so far it does feel like Loghain is trying to do what he thinks is best for the kingdom (in a Lawful Evil way).

saskganesh

Quote from: grumbler on November 10, 2009, 10:50:53 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on November 10, 2009, 08:46:21 AM
wrt Grumbler's comment about about sidequests, I would say since its Bioware: "do them all and put off the main plot as long as possible." never hurts to level up some more, and time-sensitive storyliness are usually not an issue.
Yeah, that's what I have learned.  "Immediately" in a quest command means "sometime this year."  A little bit immersion-breaking, but, once understood, acceptable.  I think I will probably restart the game to get access to all of that stuff I have been leaving behind when the cutscenes unexpectedly yank my character out of the story and place it somewhere else.

ya, it may seem that time is of the essence, but really . in game time, you have all the time in the world.

first few times I played the BGs, I tried to be in a rush. But missed a lot of good stuff, and so died too often in the hard parts. Now I play more... methodically.
humans were created in their own image

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2009, 11:52:27 AM

Grumbler mistook your Frankish love of mockery for active dislike.   ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 10, 2009, 12:06:05 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2009, 11:52:27 AM

Grumbler mistook your Frankish love of mockery for active dislike.   ;)
So did Tamas, Caliga and everyone else but you.  ;)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: saskganesh on November 10, 2009, 12:04:26 PM
ya, it may seem that time is of the essence, but really . in game time, you have all the time in the world.

first few times I played the BGs, I tried to be in a rush. But missed a lot of good stuff, and so died too often in the hard parts. Now I play more... methodically.
Yep.  It is just a game convention to understand, methinks.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on November 10, 2009, 12:09:17 PM
So did Tamas, Caliga and everyone else but you.  ;)

I am glad I have you around to tell me who I dislike or not. :lol:

In  any case my penchant for lashing out emotionally and sarcasm is fairly well known.  Nothing personal and I can be reasoned with ;)
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

In BG1 there was this  deal where if you took too long to go to Nashkel your party members would rebel but that proved to be so universally unpopular they cut out all time requirements for their future games.  I remember in Fallout 1 where was that ridiculously long time requirement to get the waterchip and even that was so unpopular with the fans that Interplay released a patch getting rid of it.

RPG players just like to take their sweet time I guess.

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2009, 12:13:37 PM

RPGers usually are kind of obsessive-compulsive when it comes to either exploring or getting all possible loot or both. Time limits are a big crimp on that.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2009, 12:11:17 PM
I am glad I have you around to tell me who I dislike or not. :lol: 
Sorry, but I don't get into that kind of thing.  You will have to figure it out on your own.

QuoteIn  any case my penchant for lashing out emotionally and sarcasm is fairly well known.  Nothing personal and I can be reasoned with ;)
Dunno why you are taking this so personally.  I just told Cal not to bother responding to you and Gral when you guys were obviously not reading the posts to which you are responding.  It was, and is, good advice.  :cool:

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2009, 12:13:37 PM

In BG1 there was this  deal where if you took too long to go to Nashkel your party members would rebel but that proved to be so universally unpopular they cut out all time requirements for their future games.  I remember in Fallout 1 where was that ridiculously long time requirement to get the waterchip and even that was so unpopular with the fans that Interplay released a patch getting rid of it.

Fallout 1 had a time limit (even after you could send a water convoy, if you took too long to finish the game the ending sucked because, even though you "won," the end credits showed the supermutants having killed pretty much everyone you met).  The Jagged Alliance games punished dawdling as well. In Morrowind, it was kinda cool that the questgiver kept sending you out to adventure between each main quest stage he would give you.

"Modern" RPGs seem to have moved away from the "timing" approach, and that is good.  The only bad thing about it is that they pretend that they haven't.

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on November 10, 2009, 12:43:37 PM
Dunno why you are taking this so personally.  I just told Cal not to bother responding to you and Gral when you guys were obviously not reading the posts to which you are responding.  It was, and is, good advice.  :cool:

Yes that was good advice I took it personally because you said I don't read before I insult Cal...which is probably true...but I don't insult Cal that often darnit!

Syt

According to my CC statement the game cost me 34 EUR, btw. The weak GBP and D2D be praised. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Syt on November 10, 2009, 01:06:53 PM
According to my CC statement the game cost me 34 EUR, btw. The weak GBP and D2D be praised. :)

The game cost me 800 baht, or $24