Anyone else looking forward to Dragon Age? (Spoilers and plot discussion here)

Started by Berkut, October 06, 2009, 08:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on November 10, 2009, 08:38:37 AM
I don't have a problem with foreshadowing and predictability, to be honest. I see this as a conscious design decision for at least two reasons:

1. Roleplayers are jaded. We have seen it all - undead innkeepers putting poison in our oatmeals or comely wenches turning into demons from hell. So unless you really go out there (in which case people would bitch it is a stretch or deus ex machina or unrealistic), you can't come up with the story that will be surprising to everybody. The way I approach such stories, I roleplay my character and whether he would be surprised by the turn of events.

2. If you had totally unexpected turns of action, this would actually make the game un-replayable.
I guess we just have different standards, and play different games.  This game does not meet my standards for unexpected events and complex plot, when others have.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on November 10, 2009, 09:42:19 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 10, 2009, 08:19:23 AM
I expected something bad to happen, and while #1 was fairly obvious, #2 took me actually more by surprise.
Exactly.  The second event was nicely done, because it completely changed your view of the Grey Wardens and the extent to which even your own involvement was voluntary.

I don't know if you got to that point, but if you get Alistair to like you he will tell you more "bad" stuff about Grey Wardens.

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on November 10, 2009, 09:45:15 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 10, 2009, 08:34:12 AM
Yeah, the betrayal was intentionally "leaked" though, when the plan-discussion finished the betrayer dude turned away and said something like "glorious indeed" or something like that. That was so obvious and so villainy, you knew what was going to happen.
Yes, but you knew even before that.  The whole plan was so illogical that you knew it had to be done that way to set up another bad guy.  There is no reason why the guys in an impregnable castle need to attack the Rnotorcs except as part of a plot device.

I thought the castle wasn't impregnable - my impression was it was a ruined castle that was just a good place to pretty much settle a camp and set up lookouts, but it was no Helm's Deep.

Besides, the King was confident of his victory and numerical superiority - again, it wasn't a Helm's Deep situation, at least in his perception - he was hoping to finish off the invasion in one battle and go home.

saskganesh

Quote from: Martinus on November 10, 2009, 09:29:56 AM
Well, that's the standard fantasy game fare, anyway. :P

some games are far far more linear.
humans were created in their own image

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on November 10, 2009, 08:34:12 AM
Quote from: Caliga on November 10, 2009, 08:18:52 AM
Yeah, I had the same reaction... I do think the thing with the Tower of Ishal was more obvious, though.

Yeah, the betrayal was intentionally "leaked" though, when the plan-discussion finished the betrayer dude turned away and said something like "glorious indeed" or something like that. That was so obvious and so villainy, you knew what was going to happen.

Wow aren't you guys smart.  Do you want a cookie?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2009, 10:33:40 AM
:mellow:

Dude, none of us are bragging "OMG I AM SMRT I FIGURED IT OUT!!!111" or anything.  More like, "Wow, that was hardly shocking."  I guess the question is whether the writers wanted it to be or not.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: saskganesh on November 10, 2009, 08:46:21 AM
wrt Grumbler's comment about about sidequests, I would say since its Bioware: "do them all and put off the main plot as long as possible." never hurts to level up some more, and time-sensitive storyliness are usually not an issue.
Yeah, that's what I have learned.  "Immediately" in a quest command means "sometime this year."  A little bit immersion-breaking, but, once understood, acceptable.  I think I will probably restart the game to get access to all of that stuff I have been leaving behind when the cutscenes unexpectedly yank my character out of the story and place it somewhere else.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grallon

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2009, 10:33:40 AM

:lol:  They need their epeen moments - don't spoil it.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Personnally, I was totally surprise by the events following the Tower ones.

Still am. I want him back.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on November 10, 2009, 10:03:05 AM
I thought the castle wasn't impregnable - my impression was it was a ruined castle that was just a good place to pretty much settle a camp and set up lookouts, but it was no Helm's Deep. 
My character was inside the castle, and the walls were pretty obviously over 100 feet from the ground.

QuoteBesides, the King was confident of his victory and numerical superiority - again, it wasn't a Helm's Deep situation, at least in his perception - he was hoping to finish off the invasion in one battle and go home.
I understand that the king was supposed to be more than a bit thick, but, again, that doesn't mean that the outcome of his stupidity is unexpected.  It makes the game less fun when you know that whatever you do is pointless, because the plot has already been written with just one ending.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on November 10, 2009, 10:52:26 AM
:frusty:
I don't understand why you would even read posts from Valmy or Grallon.  They don't bother to read yours before insulting you.

It is, as Gral would have it, "their epeen moment" when they think for some reason that they are so much smarter than we are.  Just ignore them, and watch those epeens shrivel.  :D

Bayraktar!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Legbiter

Quote from: Martinus on November 10, 2009, 10:03:05 AMBesides, the King was confident of his victory and numerical superiority - again, it wasn't a Helm's Deep situation, at least in his perception - he was hoping to finish off the invasion in one battle and go home.

The King was an idiot who got what he deserved. I was actually rather pleased when Loghain did the sensible thing and withdrew in good order. I hope that when I catch up with him he won't go all "Mwhuhahaha, Ferelden is MINE" on me.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on November 10, 2009, 10:50:42 AM
Dude, none of us are bragging "OMG I AM SMRT I FIGURED IT OUT!!!111" or anything.  More like, "Wow, that was hardly shocking."  I guess the question is whether the writers wanted it to be or not.

Yeah that was why I responded the way I did.  I don't think anything was intended to be a big shocker.  It was pretty obvious when you got to Ostagar that bad shit was going to go down man and likely Loghain was going to have something to do with it...the primary question I have is Loghain's motivations but I have not gotten that far in the game yet.

It sounded like Tamas was complaining about it than merely observing it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."