Anyone else looking forward to Dragon Age? (Spoilers and plot discussion here)

Started by Berkut, October 06, 2009, 08:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Am I the only one who found the human noble story trite and unsurprising?

[SPOILERS]

First off, you have your usual, "Sole survivor" background with a grudge against the guy who killed your family and took your home. Secondly, that betrayal was pretty clear when you first met Arl Howe and asked him why his troops were delayed. Yes, the cutscenes were very good, but my original thinking was, "They sure didn't use something that clichéd?"

Besides, you arrive at the army camp constantly asking about your brother, but once you're on the path to the becoming a Grey Warden you hear nothing of him anymore. Heck, after the battle you'd expect the hero to worry even more ... but nothing. Not to mention that you're now not only the (presumably) last of your family, you're now also the (presumably) second but last Grey Warden.

Speaking of which ... again an ancient warrior order that stems the tide of evil? The drinking of the Darkspawn blood (and surviving it or not) reminded me of the background in the Witcher stories who weed out their recruits in a similar way, trying to give them immunity to poisons/elixirs.

I like the game so far, but I had hoped the story might be a bit more original; though the cutscenes mostly make up for this.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Well, it's a good story. :P

Speaking of spoilers, did anyone manage to bed the son of the visiting noble lady in the human noble start. I flirted with him in the room near the library and he agreed to come to my room at night - and later, when the "attack" sequence starts, he was there, naked.  :lol:

Too bad he was the first one to get a knife through his throat when Howe's men burst through the door. :P

Martinus

Also, make sure to take your mother to the castle treasury during the siege sequence. I am now replaying the start since something went wrong with my save, and I can't believe how much shit I missed.

Scipio

Quote from: Syt on November 07, 2009, 01:45:53 AM

[SPOILERS]

First off, you have your usual, "Sole survivor" background with a grudge against the guy who killed your family and took your home. Secondly, that betrayal was pretty clear when you first met Arl Howe and asked him why his troops were delayed. Yes, the cutscenes were very good, but my original thinking was, "They sure didn't use something that clichéd?"

Besides, you arrive at the army camp constantly asking about your brother, but once you're on the path to the becoming a Grey Warden you hear nothing of him anymore. Heck, after the battle you'd expect the hero to worry even more ... but nothing. Not to mention that you're now not only the (presumably) last of your family, you're now also the (presumably) second but last Grey Warden.

Speaking of which ... again an ancient warrior order that stems the tide of evil? The drinking of the Darkspawn blood (and surviving it or not) reminded me of the background in the Witcher stories who weed out their recruits in a similar way, trying to give them immunity to poisons/elixirs.

I like the game so far, but I had hoped the story might be a bit more original; though the cutscenes mostly make up for this.
The mage background is pretty damn good, IMHO.

Also, mages KICK ASS.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

DisturbedPervert

Just wait till you get to the commoner Dwarf story gay Dwarf who is exiled to the surface because of his forbidden love

Syt

God, I hate the annoying mage bitch. I replaced her on the party first chance I got.

Though it should be fun to play an "evil" character with her in the party.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

I'm playing my human warrior not as evil per se, but as a sort of vainglorious fop and a bit of a heartless bastard.

Syt

So, like the king then? :P

Usually my first playthrough in Bioware games is as "nice guy" (with ME being the exception so far), then later as a selfish dude.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

I don't like playing as a completely selfish and evil guy since it usually gets cheesy at some point. And I rarely replay games (hell, I rarely if ever finish them on the first play-through). So I kinda go for a neutral kind of approach.

Martinus

And yeah, they get along with the King swimmingly. :P

Syt

Errr .... this is weird.

Anyone can use potions, but not everyone can make them. Fair enough.

On the other hand, only people who can make poisons can apply them to weapons (i.e. a warrior unable to mix poisons is totally unable to coat his sword with some reagent)? Even if you could explain it away with lore (maybe very difficult/dangerous to apply, requires certain Satanic rituals, speaking the Ave Maria backwards while doing a handstand in front of a mirror or whatever), from a gameplay point of view it sucks.

:huh:
—Stephen Jay Gould

DisturbedPervert

That doesn't bother me.  I imagine poison is quite dangerous and difficult to apply, kinda like setting traps.  It'd be nice if the poison maker could apply it to other people's weapons before battle, but it's not a big deal to me.  It only takes one rank in poison to use it, I might have my melee characters add it.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on November 07, 2009, 01:45:53 AM

[SPOILERS]

SPOILERS

Ok, about the "you don't heard about your brother anymore" - I think you are not fair there. I mean you arrive at the camp, where the King promises to look into the Howe's betrayal after the battle is over, and then you have a sequence of one afternoon and the battle itself. And after the battle, it's presumed everybody is dead, no?

Not to mention, my character keeps having options to discuss Howe's betrayal in convos, with Alistair, for example.

Too bad Alistair can't be seduced by a male PC, though - since I got about +10 relationship with him already. :P

Syt

I've met Sten. I predict hairpulling conversations in my near future. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

Who is Sten? :D

Btw, I now feel an urge to restart as a mage. :P Just not sure whether human or elf.