Obama to take on military gay ban at `right time'

Started by garbon, October 04, 2009, 11:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Agelastus on October 05, 2009, 05:30:54 PM
Not to the extent they used to be (the "super regiments" have rather a wide catchment area compared to the old County regiments for the sort of cohesion you talk about, plus we have a fairly large percentage of Commonwealth citizens in the army) but you do still have a point. The basic recruitment structure is still regional.
Do you have any info on my previous question?  Do gays serve openly in British combat units?

Faeelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 05, 2009, 05:50:10 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on October 05, 2009, 05:30:54 PM
Not to the extent they used to be (the "super regiments" have rather a wide catchment area compared to the old County regiments for the sort of cohesion you talk about, plus we have a fairly large percentage of Commonwealth citizens in the army) but you do still have a point. The basic recruitment structure is still regional.
Do you have any info on my previous question?  Do gays serve openly in British combat units?

Yes. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/16/world/europe/16iht-gays.4.5740115.html

Martinus

Thanks for posting that. Btw, I love the distinction between the nav and the other armed forces:

QuoteThe military actively recruits gays and punishes any instance of intolerance or bullying. The navy advertises for recruits in gay magazines and has allowed gay sailors to hold civil partnership ceremonies on board ships and, last summer, to march in full naval uniform at a gay pride rally in London. (Army and air force personnel could march, but had to wear civilian clothes).
:lol:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 05, 2009, 04:32:03 PM
First, that gays serve openly in those militaries, and second, it has not impacted small unit cohesion?
Gays are required to serve in Israel - just like everyone else.  The only NATO country that doesn't have gays openly serving in the military, aside from the USA, is Turkey.  I mean there's been a gay soldier (recently back from Afghanistan) on the front of the British forces magazine.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 06, 2009, 07:12:30 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 05, 2009, 04:32:03 PM
First, that gays serve openly in those militaries, and second, it has not impacted small unit cohesion?
Gays are required to serve in Israel - just like everyone else.  The only NATO country that doesn't have gays openly serving in the military, aside from the USA, is Turkey.  I mean there's been a gay soldier (recently back from Afghanistan) on the front of the British forces magazine.
I strongly suspect that gays can't serve openly in countries like Poland, the Baltics etc either - it's just that the level of homophobia is so high this has not become an issue before because no gay soldier would dare to come out in the first place.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on October 06, 2009, 07:17:09 AM
I strongly suspect that gays can't serve openly in countries like Poland, the Baltics etc either - it's just that the level of homophobia is so high this has not become an issue before because no gay soldier would dare to come out in the first place.
They may not be able to practically, because of culture.  But legally they can in Estonia, Lithuania, Romania, Czech Republic and Slovakia - at least.  I don't know about Latvia or Poland.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 06, 2009, 07:27:26 AM
They may not be able to practically, because of culture.  But legally they can in Estonia, Lithuania, Romania, Czech Republic and Slovakia - at least.  I don't know about Latvia or Poland.
yeah there is nothing preventing them from serving legally in Poland. I suspect though they would be seriously bullied and forced to resign/leave by their bosses.

The Brain

Let's not beat the dead horse anymore. America is ridiculously backwards and they don't even recognize it themselves. Laughing stock of the world. Hope it's worth it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

citizen k

QuoteGays question Obama 'don't ask, don't tell' pledge
By CHRISTINE SIMMONS, Associated Press

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama restated his campaign pledge to allow homosexual men and women to serve openly in the military, but left many in his audience of gay activists wondering when he would make good on the promise.

"I will end 'don't ask-don't tell,'" Obama said Saturday night to a standing ovation from the crowd of about 3,000 at the annual dinner of the Human Rights Campaign, a gay civil rights advocacy group. He offered no timetable or specifics and he acknowledged some may be growing impatient.

"I appreciate that many of you don't believe progress has come fast enough," Obama said. "Do not doubt the direction we are heading and the destination we will reach."

Some advocates said they already have heard Obama's promises and now they want a timeline. Cleve Jones, a pioneer activist and creator of the AIDS Memorial Quilt, said Obama delivered a brilliant speech, but added "it lacked the answer to our most pressing question, which is when."

"He repeated his promises that he's made to us before, but he did not indicate when he would accomplish these goals and we've been waiting for a while now," said Jones, national co-chair of a major gay-rights rally scheduled for Sunday on the National Mall.

Aubrey Sarvis, executive director of the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network said he was encouraged to hear Obama's pledge but added "an opportunity was missed tonight." He said his group "was disappointed the president did not lay out a timeline and specifics for repeal."

Obama also called on Congress to repeal the Defense Of Marriage Act, which limits how state, local and federal bodies can recognize partnerships and determine benefits. He also called for a law to extend benefits to domestic partners.

He expressed strong support for the HRC agenda of ending discrimination against gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender people but stopped short of laying out a detailed plan for how to get there.

"My expectation is that when you look back on these years you will look back and see a time when we put a stop against discrimination ... whether in the office or the battlefield," Obama said.

Obama's political energies are focused on many issues, including managing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the economic crisis and his ambitious plan to reform the health care system.

The HRC holds out hope of seeing more action.

"We have never had a stronger ally in the White House. Never," Joe Solmonese, the group's president, said at the dinner before the president spoke.

garbon

Which is pretty much the same as the intro article for this thread except now Obama said it...<_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Faeelin

On the other hand, the gays and lesbians who marched today are part of the left lunatic fringe. So,  :hug:

Fireblade

Quote from: Martinus on October 06, 2009, 07:29:00 AM
yeah there is nothing preventing them from serving legally in Poland. I suspect though they would be seriously bullied and forced to resign/leave by their bosses.

You wouldn't know though, because you bribed a doctor to dodge the draft.

Why do you hate Poland?  :mad:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Fireblade on October 12, 2009, 12:24:44 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 06, 2009, 07:29:00 AM

You wouldn't know though, because you bribed a doctor to dodge the draft.

Why do you hate Poland?  :mad:

Lol, really?  :lol:

Wow, that's low.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habsburg

He does realize he's not going to get a second term?  :huh:

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 12, 2009, 12:33:56 AM
Lol, really?  :lol:

Wow, that's low.
Not really. I have a medical condition. Either way we abolished draft last year, and spending 9 months in dirt- and lice-ridden barracks with social rejects wasn't my idea of a good time.