Obama to take on military gay ban at `right time'

Started by garbon, October 04, 2009, 11:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091004/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_gays_military

QuoteWASHINGTON – President Barack Obama will focus "at the right time" on how to overturn the "don't ask, don't tell" ban on gays serving openly in the military, his national security adviser said Sunday.

"I don't think it's going to be — it's not years, but I think it will be teed up appropriately," James Jones said.

The Democratic-led Congress is considering repealing the 1993 law. Action isn't expected on the issue until early next year.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., recently wrote Obama and Defense Secretary Robert Gates asked to share their views and recommendations on the contentious policy. In Sept. 24 letters, Reid also asked for a review of the cases of two U.S. officers who were discharged from the military because of their sexuality.

"At a time when we are fighting two wars, I do not believe we can afford to discharge any qualified individual who is willing to serve our country," Reid wrote.

Jones said Obama "has an awful lot on his desk. I know this is an issue that he intends to take on at the appropriate time. And he has already signaled that to the Defense Department. The Defense Department is doing the things it has to do to prepare, but at the right time, I'm sure the president will take it on."

As a candidate, Obama signaled support for repealing the law. To the disappointment of gay-rights supporters, he has yet to made a move since taking office in January. The White House has said it will not stop the military from dismissing gays and lesbians who acknowledge their sexuality.

Last year, 634 members of the military were discharged for being gay, or .045 percent of the active-duty U.S. force, according to an Aug. 14 congressional report.

The largest number of gays who were ousted under the "don't ask, don't tell" policy came in 2001, when 1,227 were discharged, or .089 of the force.

The House is considering legislation to repeal "don't ask, don't tell" and allow people who have been discharged under the policy to rejoin the military.

Jones appeared on CNN's "State of the Union."

Ok, okay...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Faeelin

I have to say, I am impressed Obama has pretty much taken away any incentive for me to vote for the Democrats on a national level.

The Brain

No need to worry. When we've won the WoT these oppressive medieval regimes will be but a memory. Modern Western values will be the order of... Oh wait, this is America doing this ridiculous shit? For real? LOL at least they're not afraid of being laughed at.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DisturbedPervert

Is the right time right after the last gay Arabic speaker has been kicked out?

Faeelin

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on October 04, 2009, 11:47:25 AM

Listen, he's busy sailing finance reform, health care, and climate change through Congress. Given that, and his success in getting the Olympics for Chicago, I think we can cut him some slack.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on October 04, 2009, 11:47:25 AM

Indeed, of those that were discharged, a disproportionate number of them worked in intel.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Tonitrus

I don't even see why this would need to go through Congress.  I'd think the CinC could just "make it so".

DontSayBanana

I hope they come up with a statistic of homos in the forces as part of their fact-finding. The sound of conservitards collectively choking on their kool-aid will be well worth it. :D
Experience bij!

Faeelin

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 04, 2009, 11:56:36 AM
I don't even see why this would need to go through Congress.  I'd think the CinC could just "make it so".

Clinton tried this, and there was an uproar over it which led to the policy "Don't Ask Don't Tell," passed by legislation.

There are ways for the president to decide, given that it's a war, to not to carry out the policy and prosecute people for this, but. Well. You know.

The Brain

What was the law before DADT that Obama wants to return to? Hmm?

DisturbedPervert

Assuming he's even really interested in doing so

The Brain

It's racism to suggest that black people are homophobic.

Faeelin

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on October 04, 2009, 12:04:09 PM

Assuming he's even really interested in doing so

Since it's come out that he sabotaged an effort to repeal the bill in the house, he probably isn't.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: The Constitution of the United States, Article 1, Section 8
The Congress shall have Power... To make Rules for Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;...
Experience bij!