Obama to take on military gay ban at `right time'

Started by garbon, October 04, 2009, 11:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 04, 2009, 12:11:18 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on October 04, 2009, 11:56:36 AM
I don't even see why this would need to go through Congress.  I'd think the CinC could just "make it so".

Quote from: The Constitution of the United States, Article 1, Section 8
The Congress shall have Power... To make Rules for Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;...

:yes: POTI never take huge dumps on the constitution.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: The Brain on October 04, 2009, 12:12:32 PM
:yes: POTI never take huge dumps on the constitution.

First...

QuotePOTI

:bleeding: Your faux Latin makes baby Sulla cry.

Second, for sure they do, but the lower commanders can refuse illegal orders, and the POTUS would also probably get his pee-pee smacked once Congress found out that he tried to go over their heads so blatantly.
Experience bij!

garbon

Someone who stayed in my apt this weekend told me that people should be happy that Obama spoke to this issue...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Gotta admit, so far Obama has been a bit of a disappointment in terms of actually doing stuff.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on October 05, 2009, 02:58:44 PM
Gotta admit, so far Obama has been a bit of a disappointment in terms of actually doing stuff.
He's good at making promises, it seems  :cool:

Next time around, why not elect a televangelist?  They're also good at that.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on October 05, 2009, 02:58:44 PM

Identity politicians frown on your shenanigans. :mad:

DGuller

I can sort of understand Obama's hesitation, even if it is very cynical in nature.  Repealing DADT would cost him political capital, and he wants to preserve it for the big fights.  Healthcare and financial reforms are ultimately more important.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on October 05, 2009, 02:10:31 PM
Someone who stayed in my apt this weekend told me that people should be happy that Obama spoke to this issue...

This reminds me of an old communist era joke about Stalin.

Comrade Stalin was walking down a street in Moscow when a group of little children ran up to him and started to ask him for candies. Comrade Stalin looked at them angrily instead and said "Fuck off you little brats".
Question: Why does this story demonstrate the good people-loving nature of Comrade Stalin?
Answer: Because he could have killed them instead.

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on October 05, 2009, 03:11:58 PM
I can sort of understand Obama's hesitation, even if it is very cynical in nature.  Repealing DADT would cost him political capital, and he wants to preserve it for the big fights.  Healthcare and financial reforms are ultimately more important.

It kinda sucks though, being gay, to be thrown under bus so consistently by the very people that are supposed to be your allies. I guess it's hard to offer any political retort to that, other than shaking an angry fist, I guess.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on October 05, 2009, 03:18:51 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 05, 2009, 03:11:58 PM

It kinda sucks though, being gay, to be thrown under bus so consistently by the very people that are supposed to be your allies. I guess it's hard to offer any political retort to that, other than shaking an angry fist, I guess.

Stop your innuendo please.

Martinus

I wonder if the "right time" will happen after or before he achieves the world peace and develops the cure for cancer.

Caliga

The "right time" will be after his re-election, if he wins a second term, since then he'll have nothing to lose if he makes a bold move like that.  As the 2012 election cycle heats up he'll make more vague promises to the gay lobby just to make sure the gay vote is secure.  But if he does anything prior to 2012 he might lose a portion of the Democrat vote since alot of poor Democrats (the union types, I'd guess) probably hate gays.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on October 05, 2009, 03:24:40 PM
The "right time" will be after his re-election, if he wins a second term, since then he'll have nothing to lose if he makes a bold move like that.  As the 2012 election cycle heats up he'll make more vague promises to the gay lobby just to make sure the gay vote is secure.  But if he does anything prior to 2012 he might lose a portion of the Democrat vote since alot of poor Democrats (the union types, I'd guess) probably hate gays.

Only that by 2012 he will probably not have a majority in the Congress.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on October 05, 2009, 03:28:25 PM
Quote from: Caliga on October 05, 2009, 03:24:40 PM

Only that by 2012 he will probably not have a majority in the Congress.

So solly!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

And to be serious for a moment, before Mart explodes in a rage.

I always figured it'll be the courts doing most of the work, tossing out various state constitutional amendments. The Magic negro is worthless.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive