The 2016 Olympics Coming To The New World ?

Started by Armyknife, October 01, 2009, 07:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armyknife

The venue for the 2016 Olympics is chosen today*, October 2nd, will be be coming to The New World.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/7884296.stm

I thinks its a straight fight between the Obama effect backing Chicago vs Brazils growing economic and diplomatic presence swinging it for Rio.

Incidentally if Chicago does win, that mean the Olympics will take place at the height of the 2016 presidential election campaign, with it in some ways marking the end of a possible 8 year Obama presidency.  I reckon that would be a rather good back drop to a political thriller, zeitgeist novel ? :unsure:

*proper time.  :bowler:

Ed Anger

I hope it says far, far away. All the world needs is a bunch of Chicagotards with an even more swollen ego.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DisturbedPervert

Hopefully Tokyo.  The US and Spain both had one last decade and Brazil is scary.

Admiral Yi

As long as the rest us aren't stuck with the tab I don't mind Chicago.

Agelastus

I'd prefer the Games to be in Brazil, I think. It would be appropriate given the size of their economy and the fact that the Games have never been to South America.

And I believe the bid city is Rio de Janeiro, isn't it? Good scenery never hurts the Olympics for a TV viewer.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Admiral Yi

Rio would be cool.  I don't know how the athletes are going to compete without their kidneys though.

Agelastus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 01, 2009, 07:42:54 PM
Rio would be cool.  I don't know how the athletes are going to compete without their kidneys though.

Oh come on - the athletes will be safe. It's the spectators who'll have to worry, and who's going to miss a few of them anyway... <_<
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Neil

Quote from: Agelastus on October 01, 2009, 07:44:38 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 01, 2009, 07:42:54 PM

Oh come on - the athletes will be safe. It's the spectators who'll have to worry, and who's going to miss a few of them anyway... <_<
Anybody who would actually go to the Olympics gets what they deserve.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Lettow77

This is foolish to worry about, as everyone knows the world ends in december 2012.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Monoriu

Anybody but the Brazilians.  If the games has never been held in South America, then we must fight for the status quo.

Warspite

Quote from: Monoriu on October 02, 2009, 04:42:29 AM
Anybody but the Brazilians.  If the games has never been held in South America, then we must fight for the status quo.

The games have never been in Chicago either.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Alatriste

I don't think Madrid or Tokyo have got many chances.

Choosing Madrid would go against the non written rule that the Games won't take place in Europe several times in a row, respected since 1952. Our time will probably come in 2020 or never.

Tokyo... well, only 8 years after Beijing? Again, I don't think they have got many chances. Personally I would love to see how would the Japanese organize them (high jump for robots under 20 tons? ;) ) but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Probably it's Rio or Chicago, and I think the members of the Committee will feel the pinch that South America has never organized the Games.

Oh, some media in Spain have aired a supposed deal between Rio and Madrid. If one is eliminated, their supporters would vote for the other... but I wouldn't rely on that deal being real (or the committee members feeling compelled to respect such deal if it exists). 

Monoriu

Quote from: Warspite on October 02, 2009, 04:59:01 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 02, 2009, 04:42:29 AM

The games have never been in Chicago either.

I would be happy to see a rule that says the Olympics must not be held in any city that hasn't held it before.  But I am willing to settle for the continent level :contract:

CountDeMoney

Caliga

Hopefully Rio.  The opening ceremonies will feature tons of scantily dressed chicks with big boobs.

If it's Chicago, the opening ceremonies will feature tons of old guys with potbellies and surnames ending in -sky.  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points