The 2016 Olympics Coming To The New World ?

Started by Armyknife, October 01, 2009, 07:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on October 02, 2009, 12:20:29 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 02, 2009, 12:17:16 PM
Shouldn't Salt Lake be more in people's memories? Wasn't that much more successful?

When selecting spots for the Summer Olympics?  No.
Olympics are Olympics.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: KRonn on October 02, 2009, 12:11:54 PM
Good for Chicago for dodging this mess. Would have been an expensive mess,  though the, or we, taxpayers would have wound up bailing them out, while the connected people pulling the strings made big bucks via that corrupt Chicago political machine. Apparently many cities wind up losing money hosting the Olympics.

But it is a great way to raise the profile of a city.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 02, 2009, 12:22:38 PM
Olympics are Olympics.

No there is a big difference in profile between the Summer and Winter Olympics.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on October 02, 2009, 12:26:57 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 02, 2009, 12:22:38 PM
Olympics are Olympics.

No there is a big difference in profile between the Summer and Winter Olympics.
Indeed.  While the Winter Olympics are huge, the Summer ones read like a copy of Obscure Sports Quarterly, with a crappy basketball tournament tacked on.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Zanza

Brazil will also host the 2014 Football World Cup. So investments in sport and tourism infrastructure can be spread over two massive events.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on October 02, 2009, 12:45:24 PM
Indeed.  While the Winter Olympics are huge, the Summer ones read like a copy of Obscure Sports Quarterly, with a crappy basketball tournament tacked on.

Albertville, Nagano, Lake Placid? Those are hardly metropoli.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Good for Chicago for dodging this mess. Would have been an expensive mess,  though the, or we, taxpayers would have wound up bailing them out, while the connected people pulling the strings made big bucks via that corrupt Chicago political machine. Apparently many cities wind up losing money hosting the Olympics.

You need watch a little less Glen Beck.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 02, 2009, 12:50:52 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 02, 2009, 12:45:24 PM

Albertville, Nagano, Lake Placid? Those are hardly metropoli.
Indeed.  But the Games are massive events.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Savonarola

QuoteDon't fret Chicago; Detroit feels your pain
Read Comments(11)Print E-mail Share Facebook

Chicago 2016 supporters watch the announcement from the IOC on the host city for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games in Chicago today. (M. SPENCER GREEN/Associated Press)

BY MARK W. SMITH
FREE PRESS WEB EDITOR

There are surely some long faces in Chicago this afternoon after the Windy City was eliminated in the first round of voting to host the 2016 Olympics.

But you're not alone, Chicago. Detroit feels your pain.

Detroit is the city that has failed the most for its bid for an Olympic Games without ever hosting them, according to a story this week by the Economist.

Detroit has failed six times — in 1952, 1956, 1960, 1964, 1968 and 1972.

The Motor City was also a candidate for the 1944 Olympics before they were ultimately canceled due to World War II.

Los Angeles has also missed out on six bids, but has hosted the Games twice — in 1932 and 1984.

:(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on October 02, 2009, 12:55:01 PM

Yep, 'cuz we all know Chicago is not rife with corruption :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

citizen k

I don't see anything Glenn Becky in KRonn's comment. It's a pretty common criticism of the Olympics.

It's time for your meds, Raz.

Caliga

Sav, why has it been so long since Detroit made a bid?  Why not try again now?  I mean, soon there will lots of open space on which to build in Detroit, yes? :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Savonarola

Quote from: Caliga on October 02, 2009, 02:12:17 PM
Sav, why has it been so long since Detroit made a bid?  Why not try again now?  I mean, soon there will lots of open space on which to build in Detroit, yes? :)

Not only that; there would be records set in the marathon; since the Detroit marathon route takes one through areas that encourages one to run as quickly as possible.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

KRonn

Nah, I heard problems over money spending discussed elsewhere. Being expensive for various reasons, and that isn't something I realized before. I figured Olympic games were a great money maker for a city.

Caliga

:lmfao:

But then again they might be really confused as to when the race really is supposed to start.  :(

"...and there's the shot starting the... oh wait... no, that wasn't the right one either..."
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points