News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dystopian Motif in British Cinema/Art

Started by Martinus, September 30, 2009, 03:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Anti-authoritarianism and underdog love is the British thing.
██████
██████
██████

Brazen

I'd say it owes a lot to post-war austerity and rationing and has the same root as kitchen sink drama.

Brazen

Quote from: Queequeg on September 30, 2009, 04:29:33 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 30, 2009, 04:26:20 PM
Because he is fat. :P
You never see his face.  Body double.
Having a masked Aussie (who starred in Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, remember) faking a British accent is almost the same thing.

Brazen

John Hurt's opening speech mentions my home town, Enfield. When I went to see it, everyone stood up and gave a llittle cheer at that point :D

Warspite

The British, like the rest of Europe, ploughed headfirst into the social upheaval and trauma that were the first and second world wars. But unlike our more unfortunate European brothers, we never experienced first hand the crushing weight of authoritarianism and totalitarianism, so we were left to explore it in our literature and arts. Also remember that foreign examinations of the same sort of dystopian phenomena are harder to access without knowledge of that language.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on September 30, 2009, 09:36:18 PM
well the movie is based on the book.... if they turned it into an anti bush thing they didn't get it. Bush is no Thatcher, not by a long shot.
Indeed.  Thatcher was brilliantly successful in many things.  Bush was merely average.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

saskganesh

some post WWII "American" dystopias:

Phillip K Dick (Blade Runner et al)
Burrough's Interzone
Matrix
Gibson's Neuromancer
Logan's Run
Terminator
Max Headroom
Robocop
Truman Show

most of these are considered "science fiction". there are of course many subgenres: Zombie (Night of the Living Dead et al) and post-Apocalypse (Postman, The Day After, Boy and His Dog) and so on.

Most of the films are from Hollywood, so apparently they are part of a dreamworks machine that have no connection to public hopes and fears. ;)

anyhow, I think the popularity of dystopias are a modern reaction to a complex world, and are part of global culture as the creatives who come up with them consume and  influence each other, transcending national cultures (Mad Max anyone?). There's no "28 Days Later" without Romero, there's no "V for Vendetta" without Eisner or Kurtzmann.
humans were created in their own image

DontSayBanana

Quote from: saskganesh on October 01, 2009, 07:38:09 AM
some post WWII "American" dystopias:

Phillip K Dick (Blade Runner et al)
Burrough's Interzone
Matrix
Gibson's Neuromancer
Logan's Run
Terminator
Max Headroom
Robocop
Truman Show

most of these are considered "science fiction". there are of course many subgenres: Zombie (Night of the Living Dead et al) and post-Apocalypse (Postman, The Day After, Boy and His Dog) and so on.

Most of the films are from Hollywood, so apparently they are part of a dreamworks machine that have no connection to public hopes and fears. ;)

anyhow, I think the popularity of dystopias are a modern reaction to a complex world, and are part of global culture as the creatives who come up with them consume and  influence each other, transcending national cultures (Mad Max anyone?). There's no "28 Days Later" without Romero, there's no "V for Vendetta" without Eisner or Kurtzmann.

You forgot Fahrenheit 451. Reading banned in favor of easier-to-manipulate television and squads of "firemen" destroying information sounds pretty dystopian to me. :contract:
Experience bij!

saskganesh

yeah, good one. of course, there are many more.

note that Farenheit 451 the movie was produced by Universal, but directed by Truffaut, who is pretty much "non-Hollywood" if that actually means anything..
humans were created in their own image

Ed Anger

Quote from: saskganesh on October 01, 2009, 09:47:55 AM
yeah, good one. of course, there are many more.

note that Farenheit 451 the movie was produced by Universal, but directed by Truffaut, who is pretty much "non-Hollywood" if that actually means anything..

So that explains the awfulness of that movie.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

It's America so therefore not worthy of Mart's consideration.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on October 01, 2009, 09:50:20 AM
It's America so therefore not worthy of Mart's consideration.

As an American and therefore a god upon the earth, I find Mart not worthy of any consideration.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

well the movie is based on the book.... if they turned it into an anti bush thing they didn't get it. Bush is no Thatcher, not by a long shot.

Indeed.  Thatcher fought to save the environment by shutting down those horribly polluting coal mines.  Unfortunately she failed to stop global warming but she will always be remembered as the greenest of the green.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Warspite

Quote from: Valmy on October 01, 2009, 09:55:49 AM

Indeed.  Thatcher fought to save the environment by shutting down those horribly polluting coal mines.  Unfortunately she failed to stop global warming but she will always be remembered as the greenest of the green.

And being a trained chemist, she was instrumental in pushing forward the ban on CFCs.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA