I don't care.  I shouldn't even be reading this
15 (22.1%)
Mildy dislike/make occasional pot shot
7 (10.3%)
It's like the Bataan Death March with school girls
16 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Martim Silva

Anime was a great way to avoid American junk when I was a kid... well, that and the fact that a nice chunk of our childrens' programs came from the Warsaw Pact.

(I also liked Misha the Bear, a Polish puppet production... I wonder if Martinus is old enough to remember Misha...  :unsure: )

Started watching it regularly in 1974, got hooked with 'Future Boy Conan' in 1979. Did my best to keep up with it since them. Which is why I got a MP4 player, so I can watch what I can in just about any inch of time I can squeeze out of my schedule.

Quote from: Agelastus on September 29, 2009, 01:03:11 PM
You should probably finish Outlaw Star...of course, my reccommending it should probably send you screaming to the hills if you believe some of my fellow Languishites. ;)

And don't forget Angel Links, set in the same universe as Outlaw Star.

Quote from: Mr. Penguin
Judging from what I see in the two main comic store here in Copenhagen (Fantask and Faraos Cigarer) are 90% of the manga readers in Denmark female, in their late teens and early 20's, most of them quite good looking...

From what I see in stores here and in Spain, manga readership is all over the place. Kids like their Naruto and girls their Shoujo, but 30-50 males also buy about anything, from Seinen to Shounen and even Shota ( :x ), and 40+ women gather in specialized stores to discuss their favourite Josei (or even Shoujo) manga. Yaoi magazines are popular amongst the younger female readers.

Quote from: Disturbed Pervert
Battle Royale isn't anime, it's a film, and it's awesome.  I bet most everyone here would like it.

"Beat" Takeshi is very much the best part of the film  :D. Anyway, it's based on a 15-tankubon manga (itself from a novel, as mentioned), which is about 100x better than the movie.

Martinus

Mild dislike. Mainly because I dated guys who liked it. Otherwise I'd hate it with passion. :P

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on September 29, 2009, 04:30:54 PM
Mild dislike. Mainly because I dated guys who liked it. Otherwise I'd hate it with passion. :P

So, did they show you their pokemans?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DisturbedPervert

Oh, in case anyone wants to watch Battle Royale, it's on google video.  On youtube too but broken in to many parts.

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=1225842003597524246&hl=en

Neil

I have no problem with it.  Even the worst anime is much less offensive than Martinus or some leftist Portuguese clown.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martim Silva

Oh, and for those who appreciate the bande dessinée francophone, there are many french-japanese fusions of the two genres.

One of the latest is "Valérian et Laureline",  anime version directed by Philippe Vidal and Eiichi Sato of the "Valérian: Agent Spatio-Temporel" series by Mézières and Christin that has been running since 1967.

http://www.valerian-et-laureline.com/

Neil

No one on this forum speaks French.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martim Silva

Quote from: Neil on September 29, 2009, 05:08:10 PM

Zoupa does, and Duque de Bragança too. And I think some of the others showed some understanding of it.

Btw, there is an anime called "Hetalia - Axis Powers"*, where countries are represented in human form. In in, the Japanese present Canada as an invisible man that the Allies never notice while holding their war councils.

(actually, they kinda notice a presence, often with the US asking Britain, France, the USSR and China if they don't "feel like there is someone else in the room?", but nobody notices anything. Translucent Canada, whose voice cannot be heard by the others, just goes and sulks by the corner)

*: Hetalia being a pun on Italy. In Japanese, 'Hetalia' can be interpreted to mean "useless thing". One of the puns of the show is when WW2 starts and a messenger says this to Germany:

Trooper: "Chief! Chief! Something terrible has happened!"

Germany: "What?"

Trooper: "Italy has become our ally! AARGH!"

Capetan Mihali

Never read a page of an anime book nor seen a minute of an anime movie.  I'm actually not 100% sure what the term exactly denotes.  So I am pretty indifferent to it on balance. 

As a library employee, I found shelving anime books to be a pain in the ass because of its reversed order, and because the call number section was so overstuffed with material.  So I guess that gives me a mild dislike.  But now when I'm at the local public library, I enjoy seeing the oddball young kids of all races digging into their crazy anime with such pleasure.  So it equals out.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

Poor Australia doesn't even get noticed enough to make an invisible character in the movie.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 29, 2009, 05:16:47 PM
Never read a page of an anime book nor seen a minute of an anime movie.  I'm actually not 100% sure what the term exactly denotes.  So I am pretty indifferent to it on balance. 

As a library employee, I found shelving anime books to be a pain in the ass because of its reversed order, and because the call number section was so overstuffed with material.  So I guess that gives me a mild dislike.  But now when I'm at the local public library, I enjoy seeing the oddball young kids of all races digging into their crazy anime with such pleasure.  So it equals out.
Manga at a library?
OK...14 year old me is full of jealous rage. :(
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Martim Silva on September 29, 2009, 05:15:23 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 29, 2009, 05:08:10 PM

Zoupa does, and Duque de Bragança too. And I think some of the others showed some understanding of it.
I met Zoupa.  We spoke English.  The facts seem to disagree with your opinions.

Eddie Teach

He frequently breaks out la francaise on the forum.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Tyr on September 29, 2009, 05:22:19 PM
Manga at a library?

Oh yeah, and plenty of serialized TV show DVDs.  I have been reluctantly privy to a lot of parent-child arguments over how many DVDs the youngsters could check out.   :D
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Agelastus

Quote from: Tyr on September 29, 2009, 05:22:19 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 29, 2009, 05:16:47 PM

Manga at a library?

British libraries tend to have a little Manga, but they really love American comic books.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."