News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Roman Polanski arrested in Zürich

Started by Syt, September 27, 2009, 07:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 20, 2009, 10:16:35 AM
And, of course, only applicable to males.
Well duh... land ownership requirements. :contract:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Grallon on October 20, 2009, 10:22:57 AM
This is so disingenuous!   As if we should expect teens to be conversant in sexual theory before engaging in recreational sex.  I maintain they can since they do already with other teens.  In fact what matters here is whether or not they can determine if they really want to accept an offer or if they feel pressured into accepting it.  And that is entirely subjective and should be approached on a case by case basis.

G.

That has been taken into consideration; law is a balancing act between one's personal rights and the protection of society.  Are there teenagers who are cognizant enough to judge for themselves?  Probably.  However, if that group exists, it is small enough that it must be discounted in favor of protection for the larger group of those that are not mature enough to make the decision for themselves.
Experience bij!

The Minsky Moment

As if we should expect teens to be conversant in sexual theory before engaging in recreational sex.  This strawman argument of mine is so disingenuous!  G.

I put your statements in the correct order and added needed explanatory language so that it would make sense
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on October 20, 2009, 10:22:57 AM

Wait - you two want only males to be able to consent to sex?

Fags. <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2009, 11:27:03 AM

Fags. <_<

And/or rapists, thanks very much.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Caliga

Fags. <_<
I may or may not have been bribed by Marti to make that statement.  NO FURTHER COMMENT.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 20, 2009, 11:28:42 AM

Fags. <_<

And/or rapists, thanks very much.

I stand corrected.

Fags and/or rapists. <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2009, 02:55:15 PM
Perhaps they are bad parents then? It's funny that you used the word "authority" to describe the parent-child relationship. I guess it is a cultural gap between America and Europe, but we stopped viewing the relationship this way some time ago. It's guardianship and guidance.

I guess I should keep it in mind that you are less culturally progressed on the other side of the pond. :)
I love how Marty uses this "we" shit when he is talking about "them."  If be "we" you mean condescending twits (the only "we" i can see you claiming), then the "we" is you, Grallon, and I.  But we don't agree on how much authority a parent should have in the lives of their children, so this "we" is useless in this argument.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

This is so disingenuous!   As if we should expect teens to be conversant in sexual theory before engaging in recreational sex.  I maintain they can since they do already with other teens.  In fact what matters here is whether or not they can determine if they really want to accept an offer or if they feel pressured into accepting it.  And that is entirely subjective and should be approached on a case by case basis.

G.
Understanding one's sexuality is a bit more complex than recognizing whether or not one should kill another human being. Nothing disingenuous about that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on October 20, 2009, 12:22:27 PM
I love how Marty uses this "we" shit when he is talking about "them."  If be "we" you mean condescending twits (the only "we" i can see you claiming), then the "we" is you, Grallon, and I.  But we don't agree on how much authority a parent should have in the lives of their children, so this "we" is useless in this argument.

:D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on October 21, 2009, 02:34:04 AM
Understanding one's sexuality is a bit more complex than recognizing whether or not one should kill another human being. Nothing disingenuous about that.

Apparently, it is when you're busy confusing sexual arousal with balanced emotional and physical sexuality. :contract:
Experience bij!

Grallon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 21, 2009, 09:07:18 AM

Apparently, it is when you're busy confusing sexual arousal with balanced emotional and physical sexuality. :contract:

Who here has reached a 'balanced emotional and physical sexuality' (whatever that means)?   Bhudda?  You?  Brain?  Marty?  Should your ability to consent be questioned whenever you are offered a treat because your emotional and physical sexual 'balance' is offset at times?  Give me a break!

You people keep approaching these topics as if they were zero-sum games.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Of course you approach it as if we should be thrilled to allow old men to sleep with teens, even though there is most certainly no benefit to society and likely much harm.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Grallon on October 21, 2009, 10:32:23 AM
Who here has reached a 'balanced emotional and physical sexuality' (whatever that means)?   Bhudda?  You?  Brain?  Marty?  Should your ability to consent be questioned whenever you are offered a treat because your emotional and physical sexual 'balance' is offset at times?  Give me a break!

You people keep approaching these topics as if they were zero-sum games.

G.

On the other hand, what we're not trying to do is claim that the research by an army of psychologists and sociologists depicting psychological maturity as coming later than physical maturity is a myth perpetuated by a repressive government just bent on keepin' a young brothah's pecker down.
Experience bij!

garbon

Really? You thought it was appropriate to post that?