News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Roman Polanski arrested in Zürich

Started by Syt, September 27, 2009, 07:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2009, 02:49:12 PM
Despite what you might believe a parent may still have a few lessons left to teach their child after the kid turns 15.  Even about sex.

Perhaps they are bad parents then? It's funny that you used the word "authority" to describe the parent-child relationship. I guess it is a cultural gap between America and Europe, but we stopped viewing the relationship this way some time ago. It's guardianship and guidance.

I guess I should keep it in mind that you are less culturally progressed on the other side of the pond. :)

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2009, 02:53:18 PM
People are stupid in general. There is nothing to suggest parents are not more stupid than their 15-16 y.o. kids.

Actually there's quite a bit of research to show that while kids might not have a higher or lower IQ intelligence, that teenagers are noticeably less effective in decision making.  The centres of the brain that deal with assessing risk and consequences are nowhere near fully developed until the early to mid 20s.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on October 19, 2009, 02:47:01 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2009, 02:30:28 PM
Ok, my point (and opposition to CCR's position) was that people above age of consent (which I consider to be around 15-16) should be free to make their own decisions - and I would prefer a parent who raised his kids in a way that would allow them to make such an informed decision themselves, rather than making it a subject to a "my-house-my-rules" fiat, on something as personal and intimate as sexual intercourse.

Children are stupid and need some rules. News at 11.

People are stupid in general. There is nothing to suggest parents are not more stupid than their 15-16 y.o. kids.

What an interesting argument. So you think that people ability to make good decisions peaks at 15 or so? Nothing to learn after that?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

ulmont

Except, of course, every study done on emotional maturity.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2009, 02:56:17 PM

Actually there's quite a bit of research to show that while kids might not have a higher or lower IQ intelligence, that teenagers are noticeably less effective in decision making.  The centres of the brain that deal with assessing risk and consequences are nowhere near fully developed until the early to mid 20s.

I love how self-serving peoples logic is - Marty wants to have sex with teenagers, so he is perfectly willing to undergo whatever mental gyrations are necessary to "justify" it.

0 rows returned

Martinus

That being said "they are not having sex until they are out of my house" sounds like a particularly stupid decision to make. Of course CCR's kids may inherit from him his inability to make good decisions, but this we will have to wait to find out.

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on October 19, 2009, 02:58:37 PM

I love how self-serving peoples logic is - Marty wants to have sex with teenagers, so he is perfectly willing to undergo whatever mental gyrations are necessary to "justify" it.

This is an insulting ad hom. I don't want to have sex with teenagers. I never had sex with a teenager - despite the age of consent in Poland being 15. Go fuck yourself, you miserable troll.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2009, 02:55:15 PM
Perhaps they are bad parents then? It's funny that you used the word "authority" to describe the parent-child relationship. I guess it is a cultural gap between America and Europe, but we stopped viewing the relationship this way some time ago. It's guardianship and guidance.

I guess I should keep it in mind that you are less culturally progressed on the other side of the pond. :)

Yes what I said was that the parent-child relationship=authority.  Are you going to respond to my points or simply twist it around in a ridiculous and moronic way?  I fucking said they have things to teach their kids you douchebag, not order them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

ulmont

An article on the topic:

"the cognitive-control system is the part of the brain that regulates behavior and makes the ultimate decisions, but is still maturing during adolescence and into a person's mid-20s at least."
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/67714.php

Valmy

Quote from: ulmont on October 19, 2009, 03:02:11 PM
"the cognitive-control system is the part of the brain that regulates behavior and makes the ultimate decisions, but is still maturing during adolescence and into a person's mid-20s at least."

Wow.  Yeah I know I didn't stop making rather irresponsible decisions until I was about 25 exactly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

katmai

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2009, 03:04:05 PM
Quote from: ulmont on October 19, 2009, 03:02:11 PM

Wow.  Yeah I know I didn't stop making rather irresponsible decisions until I was about 25 exactly.

I'll let you know when i stop making them..
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2009, 02:59:57 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 19, 2009, 02:58:37 PM

This is an insulting ad hom.

While I am sure you are insulted by your terrible logic being pointed out, it is certainly not an ad hom to do so.
I don't want to have sex with teenagers.

Of course you don't. You just think it is ok, but for some reason don't want to.

I never had sex with a teenager - despite the age of consent in Poland being 15.

Congratulations on that! Way to go, you should be very proud of yourself, considering your ability to justify having sex with 15 year olds based on completely made up data like "adults are no more capable of making decisions that a 15 year old!" type comments.
Go fuck yourself, you miserable troll.

Hmm, I think calling someone  "miserable troll" might be considered an ad hom -certainly suggesting that they "go fuck themselves" is not exactly the height of rational debate. You should watch yourself, I heard that isn't supposed to be very nice. Some people complain about it, although most don't promptly do it themselves to illustrate it so nicely.

Bravo!

0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on October 19, 2009, 03:08:31 PM
Of course you don't. You just think it is ok, but for some reason don't want to.
Uhm, yes. I do think it is ok. And I don't want to. This may be inexplicable for you but that's how tolerance and liberalism work.

There are other things I don't want to do yet I think it is ok for people to do it. Having sex with women. Following a non-violent religion. Being a sex worker. Smoking cigarettes or pot.

I guess considering you are pretty much adopting a Taliban approach, you can't fathom that in your fundamentalist mind.

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2009, 03:11:26 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 19, 2009, 03:08:31 PM
Uhm, yes. I do think it is ok. And I don't want to. This may be inexplicable for you but that's how tolerance and liberalism work.

There are other things I don't want to do yet I think it is ok for people to do it. Having sex with women. Following a non-violent religion. Being a sex worker. Smoking cigarettes or pot.

I guess considering you are pretty much adopting a Taliban approach, you can't fathom that in your fundamentalist mind.

Ahhh more of your non-ad hom responses. I see how that works for you.

I don't agree with Marty than nailing kids is a-ok, so I am just like the Taliban. Gotcha. That is even better than

"There is nothing to suggest parents are not more stupid than their 15-16 y.o. kids"

Got any more whoppers, counselor?

0 rows returned

Martinus

Well, your position is essentially that of an islamist. I am not sure if this is because of your relatively low education, your cultural upbringing or some defect of your personality.