And we're back!

Main Menu

Roman Polanski arrested in Zürich

Started by Syt, September 27, 2009, 07:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on October 19, 2009, 12:08:30 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2009, 10:50:51 AM
Only that he doesn't make rules for his kids. They are not his property.
No one can "make rules" for their property.  :huh:

Well, I suppose you could make a rule that your house must jog around the block every day, but the house won't obey your rule.

My dogs are my property.  I make rules for them.

Some rules are followed more closely than others...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maximus

You can make rules for something if it is your property, but the converse is not true. Many organizations, including the state, make rules for people who are not their property.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2009, 12:13:21 PM

The rules that you train them to follow, they follow.  The ones you don't train them to follow, they ignore.  This is thus an issue of training, not rules.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on October 19, 2009, 01:08:12 PM

The rules that you train them to follow, they follow.  The ones you don't train them to follow, they ignore.  This is thus an issue of training, not rules.

This is true.

But my example only goes to counter your point that you can't have rules for property.  You can.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Even so, dogs aren't computer programs and will never follow those rules as closely as one might like.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on October 19, 2009, 12:20:00 PM
You can make rules for something if it is your property, but the converse is not true.

I make all kinds of rules that I expect people (who are not my property) to follow.  My employees and my kids come to mind.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 19, 2009, 01:26:57 PM

Even so, dogs aren't computer programs and will never follow those rules as closely as one might like.

My dog is much more reliable then many programs out there.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2009, 01:23:32 PM
But my example only goes to counter your point that you can't have rules for property.  You can.

I think you missed Grumbler's grammatical critique.

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on October 19, 2009, 12:08:30 PM
No one can "make rules" for their property.  :huh:

Well, I suppose you could make a rule that your house must jog around the block every day, but the house won't obey your rule.

Ok, my point (and opposition to CCR's position) was that people above age of consent (which I consider to be around 15-16) should be free to make their own decisions - and I would prefer a parent who raised his kids in a way that would allow them to make such an informed decision themselves, rather than making it a subject to a "my-house-my-rules" fiat, on something as personal and intimate as sexual intercourse.

I disagree with grallon that age of consent is irrelevant or it is "I-take-them-as-I-see-them" but just as I oppose child abuse, I oppose overbearing parents making arbitrary decisions for their children who are capable of making them on their own.

I think my position is the most principled one of the three (the other two presented by grallon and CCR).

Valmy

He has authority over his kids.  The government has authority over me and they make rules for me...does that mean I am the property of the state?  I think you are living a bit too close to Russia.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2009, 02:30:28 PM
Ok, my point (and opposition to CCR's position) was that people above age of consent (which I consider to be around 15-16) should be free to make their own decisions - and I would prefer a parent who raised his kids in a way that would allow them to make such an informed decision themselves, rather than making it a subject to a "my-house-my-rules" fiat, on something as personal and intimate as sexual intercourse.

Children are stupid and need some rules. News at 11.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

and I would prefer a parent who raised his kids in a way that would allow them to make such an informed decision themselves, rather than making it a subject to a "my-house-my-rules" fiat, on something as personal and intimate as sexual intercourse.

Well if there is anything 15 and 16 year old are known for it is informed and sound judgements.  A 16 year old may have a drivers license but if he is abusing the privledge somehow a parent would and should step in even if what the kid is doing is not technically illegal in someway.  It is the same if a kid had the right to consent, if they are using it in a self destructive manner the parent, such as CCR, should step in.

Despite what you might believe a parent may still have a few lessons left to teach their child after the kid turns 15.  Even about sex.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 19, 2009, 02:47:01 PM

What he said.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on October 19, 2009, 02:47:01 PM

People are stupid in general. There is nothing to suggest parents are not more stupid than their 15-16 y.o. kids.