How Many Books Have You Read So far In 2009 ?

Started by Armyknife, September 21, 2009, 07:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How Many Books Have You Read Sofar In 2009 ?

4 (8%)
1-5
7 (14%)
6-10
10 (20%)
11-25
11 (22%)
26-50
11 (22%)
51-100
4 (8%)
101-150
1 (2%)
151-200
0 (0%)
201-300
0 (0%)
301+
2 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Armyknife

Leaving aside technical material/manuals, I think I may have completely read about 3 books sofar this year. :blush:

Theres a huge pile of books I'm partway through/given up on/forgotten what I've already read etc.  :Embarrass:

* I thought about making the poll ' how many books have you read in the last year' but figured a post Xmas 2008/1st January start would allow better recollection of what you've recently read.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Armyknife on September 21, 2009, 07:55:50 PM
Leaving aside technical material/manuals, I think I may have completely read about 3 books sofar this year. :blush:

Theres a huge pile of books I'm partway through/given up on/forgotten what I've already read etc.  :Embarrass:

* I thought about making the poll ' how many books have you read in the last year' but figured a post Xmas 2008/1st January start would allow better recollection of what you've recently read.

Twelve.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

I read - on average - one book a week. I am rarely without a book or three that I'm working my way through. So, I voted 26-50 figuring that there were some rough weeks this year where I couldn't concentrate long enough for a book to hold my attention. I doubt that I could name all that I've read, though.

Interestingly, the school where I work is having a reading contest. We were asked in the first week of school to put down our pledge for the year of how many books we would try to read. I wrote 50, figuring about 1 book every 4-5 days. Apparently, I'm the only one who was so ambitious. Most people put down 10-15.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

MadImmortalMan

Lately I have found the ability to fall asleep rather quickly at night. This is a skill I have NEVER had before---I always had to read for an hour or two before I could sleep. So my reading volume has dropped significantly in the last six months or so. I wonder if it will last...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Fireblade

at least 50 so far. But I work in a library, and usually read books while I'm smoking hookah, so I go through books rather quickly.

I just wish books weren't so damned expensive. After I pay all my bills, it usually comes to a choice between buying books and buying booze.. and booze usually wins.  :Embarrass:

ulmont

Quote from: Fireblade on September 21, 2009, 09:22:05 PM
I just wish books weren't so damned expensive. After I pay all my bills, it usually comes to a choice between buying books and buying booze.. and booze usually wins.  :Embarrass:

Yeah.  There was a time when my budget worked out to one-third rent, one-third books, and one-third "other."

BuddhaRhubarb

It's a slow year for me only about maybe 12-15. Should be more like 30-40 usually by this time of year. when I left Japan I gave away 300+ books that I had read in the 3 years there, some of them twice.
:p

DisturbedPervert

Haven't kept track.  Maybe a few dozen, maybe less, who knows.

DGuller

If I don't count poker books or actuarial study material, I think it's two or three.

HisMajestyBOB

Read and finished:
Jack Weatherford's Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World
David Weber's Off Armageddon Reef and By Schism Rent Asunder
Prachett's Guards! Guards!
And I know I'm forgetting some.

I'm on the last chapter of Gaiman & Prachett's Good Omens, and I finished Korea Old and New: A History, but I didn't read it cover to cover.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Agelastus

I think I've read between 26-50 books so far this year.

If you added up all the parts I've re-read from various previously read books I've picked up for a few minutes pleasure, probably twice that.

When I was eight or so, my mother gave me a thousand page book she thought would stall me for a month (and shut me up, and stop me raiding her bookshelves for things like Dune or Dragonflight.) I had to go to school of course, but it still took me less than 10 days.

I've got worse since then... :)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Agelastus on September 21, 2009, 11:39:09 PM
I think I've read between 26-50 books so far this year.

If you added up all the parts I've re-read from various previously read books I've picked up for a few minutes pleasure, probably twice that.

When I was eight or so, my mother gave me a thousand page book she thought would stall me for a month (and shut me up, and stop me raiding her bookshelves for things like Dune or Dragonflight.) I had to go to school of course, but it still took me less than 10 days.

I've got worse since then... :)

I used to be the same way, but I find myself reading less and less often these days.
I blame the internet.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Agelastus

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 22, 2009, 12:05:52 AM
I used to be the same way, but I find myself reading less and less often these days.
I blame the internet.

Does fanfiction count? I'm up at 6am in the morning because I have just finished a 118000 word Battlestar Galactica 2003/Battletech crossover (or rather, finished all of it that's been written.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."