News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL 2009-2010 Season

Started by Zoupa, September 19, 2009, 10:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on April 19, 2010, 04:45:04 PM
The problem with Winnipeg is that it's poor and full of Indians, who can't afford to see a hockey game.

:rolleyes:

Nah - Winnipeggers can afford an average of $50 tickets.  Plus Bettman would like to move a team (1) to Canada to show he doesn't hate the country, (2) that has an arena ready to go, and (3) isn't Hamilton or involved with Balsillie (because of the egos involved).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

I guess I just don't see the point in putting a team in Winnipeg, which is in decline.  Another team in the Golden Horn would make much more sense, and would have the added bonus of giving those poor, accursed people something to cheer for other than the wretched Leafs.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on April 19, 2010, 05:13:05 PM
I guess I just don't see the point in putting a team in Winnipeg, which is in decline.  Another team in the Golden Horn would make much more sense, and would have the added bonus of giving those poor, accursed people something to cheer for other than the wretched Leafs.

Two things:

-there isn't a ready-made arena.  Copps Colleseum would require a lot of work.
(and this is way, way more important)
-Bettman's ego.  He has now spent likely millions on fighting Balsillie.  Putting a team in Hamilton at this point would be a loss of face.

So yes, while the economics long term make southern Ontario better, I like Winnipeg's chances a lot more.

Grey Fox

They're wont be anymore teams in EST until Detroit is in the East Conference.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

I suppose you should never underestimate Bettman's ability to make the worst possible decision at any given moment.  He'll probably move the Coyotes to Mexico City.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on April 19, 2010, 05:26:27 PM
I suppose you should never underestimate Bettman's ability to make the worst possible decision at any given moment.  He'll probably move the Coyotes to Mexico City.

Winnipeg is hardly the worst possible decision.  It's a "good enough" decision.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on April 19, 2010, 05:27:54 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 19, 2010, 05:26:27 PM

Winnipeg is hardly the worst possible decision.  It's a "good enough" decision.
Mexico City would be the worst possible decision.  Winnipeg is merely a bad decision.

C.C.R.

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 19, 2010, 05:25:56 PM

But, but, but...if they move Detroit out of the Central then who am I going to hate?  Columbus?  Nashville?  I suppose that I could try to hate the Blues a little more, but for some reason I've never had the out & out Mean On against St. Louis that I have for the Red Wings & used to have for the Minnesota North Stars...

:weep:

Barrister

Quote from: C.C.R. on April 19, 2010, 07:45:32 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 19, 2010, 05:25:56 PM

But, but, but...if they move Detroit out of the Central then who am I going to hate?  Columbus?  Nashville?  I suppose that I could try to hate the Blues a little more, but for some reason I've never had the out & out Mean On against St. Louis that I have for the Red Wings & used to have for the Minnesota North Stars...

:weep:

You could hate Winnipeg.  I remember a few good Jets-Blackhawks tilts... :menace:

Valmy

Ok after watching tonights beatdown I am back in my happy place.

The Caps are back to being awesome.  The Cup is all but theirs.  Best.  Team.  EVAH.

Or at least the best Caps team ever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Neil on April 19, 2010, 01:03:06 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 19, 2010, 12:31:18 PM
Like what? You always say that, but despite what you say on Languish constantly, your decrees do not make anything so.

Real Hockey fans are the same everywhere.
All that snivelling and whining and blaming the goalie for not saving every odd-man rush that comes his way.  They whined and they cried about how their goalies were no good, and then all of the sudden they change their gameplan, play a little more defensively, and suddenly goaltending isn't a problem anymore.

I will never, ever forgive the Canucks fanbase for the crimes of the late 90s and early naughts.

Pay Attention more. Goaltending is still an issue. Always will be. Nobody is invincible. There are lots of whiny fans in every city. EVERY CITY.

get over it already.
:p

BuddhaRhubarb

That was so, not a kicking motion. :shrug: didn't really matter in the end. Canucks beat themselves in that game. None of the penalties were as iffy as previous games.

The no-goal, not so much. IMHO if the Refs should have the only say. replays only if the Ref says he never saw it.

Politics way obvious on that one.

garbon

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 20, 2010, 12:14:26 AM
There are lots of whiny fans in every city. EVERY CITY.

And I'm going to whine to prove it. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

BuddhaRhubarb

Neil, you wanna see some real Vancouver whining, you should see some of my facebook friends status updates. More conspiracy theories than the Kennedy Assassination & 9/11 combined. :p

Neil

Well, I'm sure that after last night's game, there's all sorts of talk about how Gary Bettman intentionally demolished Roberto Luongo in an effort to increase hockey support in Los Angeles, because Luongo won't melt until fires reach 1500 degrees or something.