Thousands of angry Greeks march against austerity

Started by jimmy olsen, May 01, 2010, 08:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 02, 2010, 03:32:26 PM
Quote from: Jaron on May 02, 2010, 02:52:04 PM
The DOE is the single most critical agency in the US.  :huh:

:lol:

You never changed states while you were in school, did you? Even presuming education was the most important function of the government, very little of it is decided at the national level.

How do you figure?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

Curriculum, teacher requirements, even how the schools are organized* are determined at state and local levels.

*I went from being in a middle school in 4th and 5th grade to being in an elementary school in 6th grade when I moved.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Jaron on May 02, 2010, 02:52:04 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 02, 2010, 02:36:06 PM
Quote from: Jaron on May 02, 2010, 02:06:41 PM
Rolling back the DOE? Why?
Save money without harming anything significant (hell, maybe saving money and improving education at the same time!)

The DOE is the single most critical agency in the US.  :huh:
DOE is the Department of Energy.  :huh:

ED is the Department of Education.

I guess that's one of those things only professionals in the field would ever need to know, but it also highlights how insignificant the ED really in the the public consciousness.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Sheilbh

On nothing I wonder if JR's worries about why the EU were doing this as opposed to the IMF I wonder if it's possible that it's simply that Sarko doesn't want DSK to look too good?  Is that too petty?
Let's bomb Russia!

Palisadoes

I found out today that the Greek retirement age was 53 until recently! 53!? :wacko: Ludicrous!

Admiral Yi

A long time ago I read that a Brazilian public employee could retiree at something like 38 with a full pension.  Can't remember the exact age but it was something ridiculous.

Neil

When you live in the third world, 53 is old age.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 02, 2010, 04:45:14 PM
A long time ago I read that a Brazilian public employee could retiree at something like 38 with a full pension.  Can't remember the exact age but it was something ridiculous.

Seems right to me.  Join on at 18, work for 20 years.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Palisadoes

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 02, 2010, 04:45:14 PM

That is ludicrous!

That thing of civil servants retiring earlier than private sector workers is ludicrous by itself too (like it here until recently too). Public sector workers get it far too easy.

Quote from: Neil on May 02, 2010, 04:56:36 PM
When you live in the third world, 53 is old age.

The more I here about Greece the more I come to the conclusion that it is indeed a third world country. :lol:

Monoriu

Now that the salaries and benefits of the Greek tax collectors have been cut, they'll have more reason to take bribes on the side  :lol:

Darth Wagtaros

So how are the PIIG nations doing these days?  Rush said they were going to be turned into a new Caliphate. Well, that BAEN wackjob Kratman - who is probably a cover for Michael Savage - wrote that anyway,
PDH!