News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL 2009-2010 Season

Started by Zoupa, September 19, 2009, 10:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Delirium on February 05, 2010, 03:46:51 AM
Why? He's clearly a world class player, 58 points in 47 games for Atlanta? Come on.

Because he annoys me with his smug look & max money allowed by the CBA request. If he wants to win a cup, he needs to understand he can't do it alone. If he doesn't, he needs to go away.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PRC

Martinus will never click in this thread - but Brian Burke's son Brendan was killed in a car accident today.  He came out of the closet awhile ago and father Burke walked with him in the gay pride parade in Toronto.  Touching story at the time, very sad loss for the Burke family.

Delirium

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 05, 2010, 08:05:33 AMBecause he annoys me with his smug look & max money allowed by the CBA request. If he wants to win a cup, he needs to understand he can't do it alone. If he doesn't, he needs to go away.

I don't think he's that big a primadonna as some people say, I've seen him step up to defend teammates. In the Jersey mentality he might be expected to do more than that though.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Delirium

Quote from: PRC on February 05, 2010, 11:31:50 PMMartinus will never click in this thread - but Brian Burke's son Brendan was killed in a car accident today.  He came out of the closet awhile ago and father Burke walked with him in the gay pride parade in Toronto.  Touching story at the time, very sad loss for the Burke family.

I remember that story, that's a really tough break. Perhaps in bad taste, but Toronto doesn't exactly seem to bring good luck.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Neil

Well, that's too bad.  So long as Martinus keeps his mouth shut, I'll stay classy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Delirium

Buffalo are 2-6-1 lately, I feel a disturbance in the force. Something is definitely wrong when Phillips is allowed to run over Miller and no one moves to punish him.

Strix

Quote from: Delirium on February 07, 2010, 04:37:12 AM
Buffalo are 2-6-1 lately, I feel a disturbance in the force. Something is definitely wrong when Phillips is allowed to run over Miller and no one moves to punish him.

Not to mention getting beat at home by the CANES!
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Delirium

Grey Fox

Bob Gainey is no longer the Habs GM.

Timing of this is weird.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

BuddhaRhubarb

Yeah, I don't get much Habs news out here, but it seems weird. Must be personal stuff.
:p

C.C.R.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/02/blackhawks-trade-cam-barker-to-minnesota.html

QuoteBlackhawks trade Cam Barker to Minnesota
February 12, 2010 3:08 PM | 9 Comments | UPDATED STORY
By Chris Kuc

The Blackhawks have traded Cam Barker to the Wild for fellow defensemen Kim Johnsson and prospect Nick Leddy, the team confirmed Friday.

The deal was completed Friday shortly before the Olympic roster freeze. Barker was the Hawks' top pick (3rd overall) in the 2004 entry draft but has been slow to develop into a top defenseman. The 25-year-old had four goals and 10 assists and was a plus-7 in 51 games this season.

The move helps ease the Hawks' salary cap issues heading into next season as Barker is signed through 2012 and has a cap hit of $3,083,333 per season. Johnsson's contract expires following this season.

The 33-year-old Johnsson was an alternate captain in Minnesota and had six goals and eight assists in 52 games this season. Leddy was Minnesota's first pick (16th overall) in the 2009 draft.

This was kind of a "meh" move to me -- Barker was underachieving this year & was basically the Hawks' 6th defenseman, and the Hawks' main focus was obviously to free up salary cap space for next year without getting totally screwed over in the process.  I have to confess that I don't really know anything about Kim Johnnson, though.  Word Around The Campfire is that he played a lot of minutes as a top four defenseman on the Wild (not one of the better teams in the league), so hopefully he'll pan out playing in the #5-#6 slot with Brent Sopel for the rest of this year.  I don't have a ton of faith in Leddy ever panning out (nothing personal against Leddy, just more like counting on any given prospect panning out is like wishing in one hand & shitting in the other).

Or something.  I get why the Hawks moved Barker & why the took what they got, but I'm just "meh" about this trade because I don't think that it really addresses any immediate concerns...

Delirium

Johnsson used to play for Malmö over here, then went over to Philadelphia where he was reasonably successful for some years before being traded to Minnesota (don't remember for what). He's an attack minded defenceman, good passer, decent shot, plays lots of power play minutes. Been called up regularly for the national team but not this year.

C.C.R.

Sounds like he'll (hopefully) fit right in -- the Blackhawks are a puck possession/puck movement team as opposed to a "put the other guy through the glass" kind of team, so if he's an older, more mature version of Niklas Hjalmarsson than I think he'll do a little bit of alright for the remainder of the year...

In the meantime, though, the Hawks are set to play the Atlanta Thrashers in about a half hour.  Dinner is cooked & eaten (I made steak & shrimp stirfry tonight), and I've already got a six-pack of PBR in me, so right now I'm just trying to dry out a little bit before game time...

:ccr

C.C.R.

And Johnsson pots a goal in his first game as a Hawk...

:)

C.C.R.

OK, the Olympics were awesome & I've had a ton of fun watching them the past couple of weeks, but I'm ready for the NHL grind to resume...

:cool: