Main Menu

NHL 2009-2010 Season

Started by Zoupa, September 19, 2009, 10:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Ca-REY, Ca-REY, Ca-REY!

I vote Camallieri for captain.

Strix

Maurice has had a whole offseason to destroy the work ethic and team pride that Peter the Great instilled.

Hurricanes are DOOMED!
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

charliebear

The Wings won their opening pre-season game.  I believe they're lookin' good.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Zoupa on September 19, 2009, 10:57:41 AM
Ca-REY, Ca-REY, Ca-REY!

Gorges! Gorges!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

saskganesh

Kessel trade was steep, but if a 3rd year player who has scored 36 goals grows to hit 50, then two firsts and a second was worth it. contract is good too.

now, the Leafs need a centre ;)

heh. I'm just happy the Leafs will not be tanking.
humans were created in their own image

Neil

Quote from: saskganesh on September 20, 2009, 06:49:47 AM
Kessel trade was steep, but if a 3rd year player who has scored 36 goals grows to hit 50, then two firsts and a second was worth it. contract is good too.

Why would the Leafs not be tanking?  That's what they do.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

PRC

Quote from: Zoupa on September 19, 2009, 10:57:41 AM
Ca-REY, Ca-REY, Ca-REY!

They'd be better served starting Halak.

katmai

Talked with Carlos Gomez at fair, he was saying how Scott likes Montreal, was really impressed how crazy a hockey town it is.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grey Fox

saskganesh

Quote from: Neil on September 20, 2009, 06:51:25 AM

If they were really tanking, they would ice their AHL team for two years in order to increase the value of the first round picks  ... that they no longer have. What they are trying to do is retool aka Philly model and try for a playoff spot now... and along the way, develop a winning culture.

GM Burke is a better trader than drafter/developer.

HVC

Quote from: saskganesh on September 21, 2009, 07:33:28 AM

If they were really tanking, they would ice their AHL team for two years in order to increase the value of the first round picks  ... that they no longer have. What they are trying to do is retool aka Philly model and try for a playoff spot now... and along the way, develop a winning culture.

GM Burke is a better trader than drafter/developer.
The theory i heard from people who understand this more then me is that he bought a few "draft picks" but getting guys like Hanson and so was free to trade away those picks since Toronto (presumably) won't finish low and those picks will be mostly useless anyway. No idea if that's true, and i hope Kessel works out. At least now Toronto is trading their future for younger players, and not older merc's :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Crash & Burn Leafs Crash & Burn.

I hope Lucic kills your Komisarek.

Traitor that he is! Benedict Arnold had nothing on him.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 21, 2009, 11:31:31 AM
Crash & Burn Leafs Crash & Burn.
:P
They've been playing well, but it's preseason, so it means nothing. At least it's more then just Schen sticking up for his team this year.

Also, Zoupa they broke Carey. Shame.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

BuddhaRhubarb

to be fair every 10 years or so they tank in the playoffs for a few years, and give more faint hope to their fans.

I think that's the most you can ask short of actually winning the cup.
:p

saskganesh

QuoteAt least now Toronto is trading their future for younger players, and not older merc's :lol:

I've thought about this, and since the draft is always a crap shoot*, once you get out of the top 3-5, why not trade a lottery ticket or two for a proven young player rather than hoping for a hypothetical young player?

* Only something like 30% of players drafted in the first two rounds ever become significant NHL regulars. Player development is important here, something the Leafs have never really been good at, going back to the Ballardian 70's.