NFL Week 2 Thread

Started by Neil, September 18, 2009, 09:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 23, 2009, 05:41:30 AM
lol, Go Redskins.

They are a team of destiny.

Destined for a top draft pick.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

I feel bad for Jim Zorn in all this.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2009, 12:48:26 PM

Why?  He is supposed to be an offensive guy and his offense sucks ass.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: sbr on September 22, 2009, 07:32:44 PM
It is still pretty early, probably too early to have this discussion, but I am pretty impressed with Flacco.  I was expecting a sophomore slump from him, not sure why, it was just a feeling.  He has been very impressive so far though.

Flacco is rock solid-- I've been telling you guys this since 2006 :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on September 23, 2009, 12:47:42 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 23, 2009, 05:41:30 AM
lol, Go Redskins.

They are a team of destiny.

Destined for a top draft pick.

Destined to stop Detroit's losing streak at 19; I hope.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on September 23, 2009, 12:49:38 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2009, 12:48:26 PM

Why?  He is supposed to be an offensive guy and his offense sucks ass.
Plenty NFL head coaches end up being the opposite kind of guys that they're supposed to be.  Zorn's team doesn't really have much talent on the offence, which is the heart of the problem.  The line is lackluster and injury-prone, which causes everything else to fail.  Portis is wearing down and was never really as good as some people thought he was.  Campbell's development as a quarterback seems to be stuck at around the second year.  The receivers are a collection of guys who were #2 or #3 on other teams.  Sellers is serviceable in his role, but not much of a threat.  Although Chris Cooley is a genuine standout as a tight end, he's not going to put the team on his back.

I have a hard time nailing Zorn's hide the wall when his team is playing in what is perhaps the most competitive division in the NFL and his offensive larder is mostly empty.  They went and spent two hundred million on defensive players, but if the Redskins had a decent line and a Chad Pennington at QB (which is what it looked like Campbell might be, the one year he played well), they'd be a much better team.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on September 23, 2009, 01:40:52 PM
Destined to stop Detroit's losing streak at 19; I hope.

Don't think I haven't thought about that.

sbr

I heard today that this is the first time that Jason Campbell has played in the same offense, for the same coordinator for two straight years, since high school.

I would like to see what the kid could do if he could actually just go out and run an offense he really knows, without having to spend so much time on the field thinking about what he is supposed to be doing.  Not very likely with Mr. Synder running the show though.  I imagine he will fire Zorn if/when they don't make the play-offs again this year.

Neil

Quote from: sbr on September 23, 2009, 03:10:12 PM
I heard today that this is the first time that Jason Campbell has played in the same offense, for the same coordinator for two straight years, since high school.

I would like to see what the kid could do if he could actually just go out and run an offense he really knows, without having to spend so much time on the field thinking about what he is supposed to be doing.  Not very likely with Mr. Synder running the show though.  I imagine he will fire Zorn if/when they don't make the play-offs again this year.
Zorn's going to be lucky to make it to midseason.  Snyder's licking his chops at the thought of an uncapped season.  Expect to see some flash-in-the-pan from this year get offered a 300 million dollar contract, and the Redskins to go 4-12.

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on September 23, 2009, 03:10:12 PM

My problem with Campbell is not his skills per se.  He can read defenses and has good physical abilities.  What drives me nuts about the guy is his poor vision, his poor instincts, his poor awareness of where he is on the field.  He just doesn't have it, he makes drive killing bone headed mistakes all the time.  That has basically been my take on the guy all along and it is why he never seems to get better.  Watch a Redskins game sometime and just look at him run directly into the rush, pass when he has room to run, try to run when there are no lanes, etc...

I just think he just doesn't see the field and understand situations very well on the fly.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2009, 03:16:54 PM
Zorn's going to be lucky to make it to midseason.  Snyder's licking his chops at the thought of an uncapped season.  Expect to see some flash-in-the-pan from this year get offered a 300 million dollar contract, and the Redskins to go 4-12.

Well I hope not.  Snyder has got to stick with Zorn, Snyder has done a decent job upgrading the defense this year now he has to focus on bringing in some decent people in on the offense.

As far as the overpaying for flash in the pan guys...who are you thinking of?  That is what he did back in the Bruce Smith/Deion Sanders days he seems to at least bring in contributers now.  He just needs more.  It is not like the guys who are underachieving on offense are highly paid free agents God knows.  It seems to me you are going more on his reputation than really how has run the Redskins lately.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2009, 03:00:00 PM
I have a hard time nailing Zorn's hide the wall when his team is playing in what is perhaps the most competitive division in the NFL and his offensive larder is mostly empty.  They went and spent two hundred million on defensive players, but if the Redskins had a decent line and a Chad Pennington at QB (which is what it looked like Campbell might be, the one year he played well), they'd be a much better team.

Alright I understand where you are coming from now.  You think he is in danger of being fired this year and yes if he does get fired this year I would feel sorry for him.

I thought you were feeling sorry for him since his team is not very good.

MadBurgerMaker

Chester Pitts, a guy who has started every game the Texans have ever played at guard, and who is only one of two original players on the roster (the kicker Kris Brown is the other one) is done for the season.  You might remember him as the guy Ephraim Salaam "found" bagging groceries in a supermarket in San Diego.  He has already had two "major" surgeries on the knee he injured in the game against the Titans, and is already on IR.  What really sucks is that he's a free agent after this season, so....he might be completely finished because of this.

Hope Studdard really is ready to go.  He was kinda all over the place against the Titans.  His first play, he totally blew the Tennessee guy opposite him away.  The next, that same guy was throwing Studdard to the ground and stepping on his head (not literally, but close).

Valmy

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on September 23, 2009, 10:48:18 PM
Of course he is! :punk:

We'll see. 

In related news, the Texans signed the guy who took out Tom Brady's knee (Bernard Pollard, S) to fill that roster spot.