News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL Week 2 Thread

Started by Neil, September 18, 2009, 09:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

We had best get a new thread started before the weekend.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

citizen k

Quote from: Neil on September 18, 2009, 09:33:54 PM
We had best get a new thread started before the weekend.

So what's your picks?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

QuoteSan Diego's high-powered offense took a double hit Friday when the Chargers said both running back LaDainian Tomlinson and center Nick Hardwick will miss Sunday's game against the Ravens with ankle injuries.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 18, 2009, 09:48:28 PM
QuoteSan Diego's high-powered offense took a double hit Friday when the Chargers said both running back LaDainian Tomlinson and center Nick Hardwick will miss Sunday's game against the Ravens with ankle injuries.
You're welcome.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Neil

I'm doing some picking with the spread for Yi.  The bold will win the game, and I'll discuss the spread in my notes, where it is necessary.

Sunday:
Panthers (-6) - Falcons - Delhomme can't play any worse, and I expect some improvement.  Still, the Falcons should beat the spread.  Ryan is doing well, Turner is a burner, and their D is for real.

Vikings - Lions (-9.5) - Peterson might rush for 300, and the Vikings D will mash the Lions' terrible offensive line.  The Vikings should win by at least 10.

Bengals (-9) - Packers - The Bengals might get shut out.  The Packers will score a couple of times.

Cardinals (-3) - Jaguars - The Cardinals are decent at stopping the run, and that's all the Jaguars have.

Raiders (-3) - Chiefs - This is a tough one.  Both teams played well against very tough opposition in Week 1, but I take the Raiders.  The Chiefs run game is weak (due to their line and the possibility that LJ is used up), which puts it on the QB.  With Seymour and Asamugha, the Raiders are solid against the pass.  This will be close, but the Raiders should win.

Patriots - Jets (-3.5) - Sanchez is a flake, but the Patriots almost gave it up to the fucking Bills, of all people.  Expect a big game from Leon Washington  I want to see Jim Leonhard lodged in Tom Brady's spine.

Saints - Eagles (-1) - Kevin Kolb?  Be fucked.  Be very fucked.  Sure, the Eagles have a D, while the Saints have a series of tackling dummies that they set up in the defensive backfield, but Kevin fucking Kolb.  Brees might not throw for six, but he can beat the spread on this one.

Texans (-6.5) - Titans - Expect the Texans to beat the spread on the low-octane Titans offence.  AFC South games are always close, and the Texans are better than last week's shitfest showed.  The Titans should still handle them.

Rams (-9.5) - Redskins - There is nothing redeeming about the Rams, at least until Bulger gets hurt and the Great One takes over under centre.  The Redskins should win by at least two TDs.

Buccaneers (-4.5) - Bills - TO should get some points here.  I'm feeling a bit better about the Bills after seeing how they used their running back against the Patriots.  The Bucs are in disarray.

Seahawks (-1) - 49ers - This is a tough one.  The Seahawks are on a downward slope, while the Niners seem to be getting it right.  Ultimately, I go with the Seahawks because I feel that their QB gives them the best chance to win.

Steelers - Bears (-3) - Urlacher is a bigger loss than Polamalu.  The Steelers D is still fundamentally sound.  Jay Cutler remains shitty.  Throwing picks against the Steelers won't just get you beat, it'll get you annihilated unless your D can hang with theirs.  Chicago's D just isn't in that class.  Roethlisberger can make the throws to beat the spread, even if the Steeler's running game has disappeared.

Browns (-3) - Broncos - How are the Browns the underdog in this one?  They played alright against a first-rate D, while the Broncos won on a miracle play by one of the all-time clutch players in the league against the lowly Bengals.  And the Broncos don't have an Adrian Peterson to shred a run D.

Ravens (-3) - Chargers - Without their centre, the Chargers are going to have a hell of a time running the ball and organizing their pass protection, two things that the Ravens make difficult to start with.  Expect to see a little more run from the Ravens than we did last week, but still big plays from Todd Heap, who nobody on the Chargers can cover.

Giants (-3) - Cowboys - I'm taking the Giant pass rush over the Cowboy passing game.  Everybody is going crazy over the Cowboys after their lambasting of the hapless Bucs, but I remain unconvinced.

Monday:
Colts - Dolphins (-3) - I don't know about the Colts line, and I definitely don't know about their D and their WRs.  However, what I do know is that Peyton Manning is the best QB of this generation, and he does well in prime time.  However, I think that the Dolphins will beat the spread.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

sbr

Quote from: Neil on September 18, 2009, 10:44:38 PMRavens (-3) - Chargers - Without their centre, the Chargers are going to have a hell of a time running the ball and organizing their pass protection, two things that the Ravens make difficult to start with.  Expect to see a little more run from the Ravens than we did last week, but still big plays from Todd Heap, who nobody on the Chargers can cover.

Monday:
Colts - Dolphins (-3) - I don't know about the Colts line, and I definitely don't know about their D and their WRs.  However, what I do know is that Peyton Manning is the best QB of this generation, and he does well in prime time.  However, I think that the Dolphins will beat the spread.

You misspelled Center and I think the Colts cover the spread.

Besides that your picks and analysis seem pretty solid (or al least along the same lines as mine).  The only other game I could argue would be the Pats/Jets game, but taking the home team in a game this close, this early is reasonable.  I could see the Pats or Jets either make a deep play-off run, or end up with 5-6 wins.  Neither result would surprise me from either team.

Admiral Yi

I assume a negative number means that team is taking the points?  I have a hard time seeing the Bears giving three points to the Steelers.

Neil

I put the minus next to the team that was the underdog.  I don't know if that's how it works, but that's how I did it.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on September 19, 2009, 04:08:35 PM
I put the minus next to the team that was the underdog.  I don't know if that's how it works, but that's how I did it.
I think it's the other way around.

sbr

I just found out I can get the NFL RedZone channel on my verizon Fios TV package for $50.  Thank God, because the Portland TV affiliates seem to have lost it.  It has been bad enough to be force fed the SeaChickens from up north every week by the Fox affiliate, but now the CBS affiliate has decided to broadcast the Packers/Bengals game tomorrow.

Are you kidding me?  Why in the hell would they show the worst match-up possible when they could show the Jets/Pats game instead.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: sbr on September 19, 2009, 11:12:04 PM
I just found out I can get the NFL RedZone channel on my verizon Fios TV package for $50.  Thank God, because the Portland TV affiliates seem to have lost it.  It has been bad enough to be force fed the SeaChickens from up north every week by the Fox affiliate, but now the CBS affiliate has decided to broadcast the Packers/Bengals game tomorrow.

Are you kidding me?  Why in the hell would they show the worst match-up possible when they could show the Jets/Pats game instead.

That sucks.  Sounds like they changed it for some....strange....reason:

http://the506.com/nflmaps/2009/02-CBS-E.html

HisMajestyBOB

Redskins should win. But they managed to lose to the Rams last year, and they've got a horrible habit of losing to crappy teams for no good reason.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Valmy

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 20, 2009, 01:19:31 AM
Redskins should win. But they managed to lose to the Rams last year, and they've got a horrible habit of losing to crappy teams for no good reason.

It is because of their shitty QB.  I swear to God watching Jason Campbell screw around is just painful.  That play where he looked like he was running for a first down and then inexplicably threw the ball three yards past the LOS just about made me pass out with fury.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on September 19, 2009, 11:12:04 PM
I just found out I can get the NFL RedZone channel on my verizon Fios TV package for $50.

Yeah, I was considering getting it last weekend, but it's not that big of a deal for me.  Just remember, it's only touchdowns and scores.