News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Holocaust denial

Started by Josquius, September 18, 2009, 08:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I think Malthus has hit right on the nose, a great analysis.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 20, 2009, 02:57:44 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 20, 2009, 02:35:38 PM
Not at all.

Americans like "plucky underdogs" who have demonstrated outstanding success. It is exactly their demonstration of miltary dominance which grounds the sympathy. Winning the war of Independance got them *some* kudos in America, but what really did the trick was the seemingly miraculous victories of '67.

The world is filled with would-be "plucky underdogs" who get ground beneath the heel of the oppressor. Americans by and large have pity on, but do not admire or particularly sympathize, with suchlike (in Europe as I've said the equation is very different).
You're creating a tendency out of one data point.  Where's the American admiration for the plucky Eritreans?  The plucky white Rhodesians?

I wasn't aware that Eritreans and White Rhodesians had this sort of success. I assume most Americans, when they think of Eritreans, think of pitiful starving folk, and when they think of White Rhodesians, think of bitter exiles. In short, more the recipients of pity than admiration.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

In any event, there are lots of Americans on this very site who support Israel. Why not ask *them* if they are influenced by the Zionist lobby, pity over the Holocaust, or by armageddon-style religious fervour?

I'm guessing that by and large most of 'em would say "not really any of these things".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

I support them killing Arabs.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 20, 2009, 03:21:51 PM

Because of the Zionist lobby, we know.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on September 20, 2009, 03:24:39 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 20, 2009, 03:21:51 PM

Because of the Zionist lobby, we know.

They send me jew women with big boobs.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on September 20, 2009, 03:11:16 PM
I wasn't aware that Eritreans and White Rhodesians had this sort of success. I assume most Americans, when they think of Eritreans, think of pitiful starving folk, and when they think of White Rhodesians, think of bitter exiles. In short, more the recipients of pity than admiration.
Eritrea fought and won a grueling war of indepence against a country with 10 times its own population.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 20, 2009, 03:26:45 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 20, 2009, 03:11:16 PM
Eritrea fought and won a grueling war of indepence against a country with 10 times its own population.

This fact is not well-known, however, by the average American. When they think of Ethiopia/Eretria at all, they think of poor starving pesants, not of great Eretrian military victories; most Americans have only the vaguest notions of modern Eretrian history.

Iormlund

I'd wager most Americans would have a hard time figuring out what Eritrea is, not to mention its location.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Iormlund on September 20, 2009, 03:34:28 PM
I'd wager most Americans would have a hard time figuring out what Eritrea is, not to mention its location.
I'd agree with that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 20, 2009, 03:26:45 PM

And anybody who knows this obscure fact would feel admiration for them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

I'd wager most people not living in East Africa would have a similarly hard time.  How many Brazilians know about Eritrea?  Chinese?  Swedes?

Israel gets headlines around the world...Eritrea?  Not so much.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 20, 2009, 03:38:21 PM
I'd wager most people not living in East Africa would have a similarly hard time.  How many Brazilians know about Eritrea?  Chinese?  Swedes?

I think it has been proven that all citizens of non-American nations know of every nation and can point them all out on a map, as well provide a brief history.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on September 20, 2009, 03:32:21 PM
This fact is not well-known, however, by the average American. When they think of Ethiopia/Eretria at all, they think of poor starving pesants, not of great Eretrian military victories; most Americans have only the vaguest notions of modern Eretrian history.
So Americans have a tendency to root for scrappy underdogs who demonstrate success on the battlefield and of which they are well-informed.  And I suppose these scrappy cocos should not have a history of conflict with the US, as that accounts for American indifference to the Vietnamese victory over China. 

So like I said before, you're arguing that the US supports Israel on the basis of a general tendency which is demonstrated only by its support for Israel.

Iormlund

Quote from: Valmy on September 20, 2009, 03:38:21 PM

Oh don't get me wrong, that wasn't a dig at the abysmal state of education in the US.
I doubt more than 3 of my friends, almost all college-educated, know about the place. There's one guy who I used to play geography quizzes with when we were kids who knows for sure (since I told him in 1993 and there's an inside joke on the subject). Probably the diplomat knows as well. Then there's another guy who works for the UN in conflicted areas.