News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

OH GOD NO

Started by Caliga, September 22, 2009, 08:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2009, 09:20:12 AM
Quote from: syk on September 22, 2009, 09:05:45 AM
What's wrong with Saxons?

See the dude labelled Harold Rex?  Saxons are losers.

Hey That's my Uncle. :(
:p

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Agelastus

Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2009, 09:20:12 AM

See the dude labelled Harold Rex?  Saxons are losers.

I see you have succumbed to the propagandist revisionism of the Bayeux tapestry. I'm very sad... :(

That arrow has a rather noticable bend to it where it was restitched when the tapestry was restored a couple of centuries after it was made, so that it would "fit the legend". As far as I am aware, current thought is that the Harold figure is the man (off-screen on the right to your picture) being cut down by the man on the horse (whose arse is shown in your image.)

Without knowing all the arguments, it certainly fits the positioning of the writing "Haroldus Rex Interfecit Est" that is on the tapestry.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Unsolicited youtube links? No thanks.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

:lol:

Yeah, I'm sure you didn't click it but still felt compelled to say something.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 23, 2009, 10:17:38 AM

Yeah, I'm sure you didn't click it but still felt compelled to say something.

Usually I don't click on them, as after all reading a post takes two seconds...with a youtube link you are asking me to give up 2-3 minutes.  This morning, I did click on it but then closed it before it had even started to load...so like I said, no thanks. :)

Eddie Teach

Fine, lazy. I'll give you a synopsis. It was a clip from Mad Men where the bosses were admonishing one of the account guys for trying to convince a client to market their tvs to negroes.

Maximus

I generally don't click youtube links either.

ulmont

Quote from: Maximus on September 23, 2009, 10:58:39 AM
I generally don't click youtube links either.

I tend to click to see what the video is and then not bother watching.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 22, 2009, 09:36:17 AM
What really pisses me off is that, after Hastings, a number of the bolder thegns and huscarls travelled to Constantinople and took up service in the Varangian guard. Alexius was campaigning in the Balkans against the Normans and fought a major battle against them at Durazzo, where nearly all the Varangians got killed  :mad:

Didn't one of the Saxon royal women end up in Russia married to a rurikid?  I vaguely recall the present British monarchy being able to trace a line of descent to the Anglo-Saxon monarchs through her.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 23, 2009, 11:02:43 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 22, 2009, 09:36:17 AM
What really pisses me off is that, after Hastings, a number of the bolder thegns and huscarls travelled to Constantinople and took up service in the Varangian guard. Alexius was campaigning in the Balkans against the Normans and fought a major battle against them at Durazzo, where nearly all the Varangians got killed  :mad:

Didn't one of the Saxon royal women end up in Russia married to a rurikid?  I vaguely recall the present British monarchy being able to trace a line of descent to the Anglo-Saxon monarchs through her.

Yeah there was like a little colony of them in Russia.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017