News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Holocaust denial

Started by Josquius, September 18, 2009, 08:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

So...in the news Ahmadinejad is at it again.
One big question raised in my head over this though is; why?
Why on earth do so many gits deny the holocaust ever happened? Surely if you're to be anti-Jewish the better approach is 'The nazis were right, the Jews SHOULD be wiped out'.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

It's an attempt to muddy the waters which is done because their true feelings are too controversial. Holocaust denial is the ID of anti-semitism.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

It's not that he really denies the Holocaust, he just denies that it wasn't the Jews' fault.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

The Holocaust never happened, it was a hoax dreamed up by Hollywood to sell movie tickets.

(Is it legal for Germans to read this post?)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on September 18, 2009, 08:46:29 PM
It's an attempt to muddy the waters which is done because their true feelings are too controversial. Holocaust denial is the ID of anti-semitism.
I can understand that being the modus operandi from someone in the West who is constrained by a society which finds those beliefs repellent, but Iran is openly dedicated to Israel's destruction so I don't see what stops them from paying homage to the Holocaust as a good thing.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 18, 2009, 09:00:51 PM
I can understand that being the modus operandi from someone in the West who is constrained by a society which finds those beliefs repellent, but Iran is openly dedicated to Israel's destruction so I don't see what stops them from paying homage to the Holocaust as a good thing.

The OP asked about gits in general, Iran was just an example.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Well, it's fairly easy to answer, imo. The modern world (especially the modern West) is victim-centered - the best position, politically, to be is to be seen as a victim (all the current tensions between Poland, Russia, Germany and Ukraine, for example, that concern history, are about who was a bigger victim; and this is easily used by politicians as a playing card, both internally and internationally: remember Kaczynski's ridiculous demand that Poland should get more votes in the EU to account for all the people the Germans have killed? There are political movements of expelled Germans in Germany, too; and Russia is pretty much never coming down from the cross either).

By denying Holocaust, antisemites seek to accomplish two things: deny Jews one of the most powerful politically-charged victimhood status in history (which both Israel and Jewish communities around the world have been pretty happy to use as a bludgeon, tbh ;)), and at the same time paint themselves as victims of Jewish propaganda and lies. This is actually pretty smart on their part, since that's the only way they can actually hope to win the majority over - arguing for another Holocaust is a non-starter and they know it.

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 18, 2009, 09:00:51 PM

I think it is foolish to assume that Iranian leaders are not aware of international reception of their words. In fact, quite the contrary.

Besides, a lot of Westerners, imo, would have a much different view of existence of Israel, if Holocaust never happened. In a strictly political sense, it is a "crusader state", that is maintained with heavy contributions from the West and antagonizes the entire region. However, its existence is being viewed as a just attempt at compensation for the horrors of Holocaust. Had this justification been removed, the moral case for supporting Israel would be much weaker.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on September 19, 2009, 01:15:47 AM
Had this justification been removed, the moral case for supporting Israel would be much weaker.

Disagree.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2009, 01:20:14 AM
Had this justification been removed, the moral case for supporting Israel would be much weaker.

Disagree.

As do I.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2009, 01:20:14 AM

Disagree.

Well, I am not arguing a position here, I am just saying how it would be viewed by a lot of people.

And Israelis are keenly aware of that - that is why they incorporate Holocaust-related rhetoric into their politics and diplomacy.

Jaron

Isn't that a position? :unsure:

Anyways, Israel deserves to be wiped off the map, but as long as people carry guilt over doing nothing about the Holocaust, it will remain protected.

In reality though, if world order ever breaks down, the first nukes to hit Jerusalem won't be from Tehran, but Paris, or Berlin, or especially Poland if Russia decides to restation their arsenal there in their new empire.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

Quote from: Jaron on September 19, 2009, 01:27:48 AM

Anyways, Israel deserves to be wiped off the map, but as long as people carry guilt over doing nothing about the Holocaust, it will remain protected.

In reality though, if world order ever breaks down, the first nukes to hit Jerusalem won't be from Tehran, but Paris, or Berlin, or especially Poland if Russia decides to restation their arsenal there in their new empire.

Just in case anyone wanted to take Jaron seriously... :lol: :jaron:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on September 19, 2009, 01:11:52 AM
Well, it's fairly easy to answer, imo. The modern world (especially the modern West) is victim-centered - the best position, politically, to be is to be seen as a victim (all the current tensions between Poland, Russia, Germany and Ukraine, for example, that concern history, are about who was a bigger victim; and this is easily used by politicians as a playing card, both internally and internationally: remember Kaczynski's ridiculous demand that Poland should get more votes in the EU to account for all the people the Germans have killed? There are political movements of expelled Germans in Germany, too; and Russia is pretty much never coming down from the cross either).

By denying Holocaust, antisemites seek to accomplish two things: deny Jews one of the most powerful politically-charged victimhood status in history (which both Israel and Jewish communities around the world have been pretty happy to use as a bludgeon, tbh ;)), and at the same time paint themselves as victims of Jewish propaganda and lies. This is actually pretty smart on their part, since that's the only way they can actually hope to win the majority over - arguing for another Holocaust is a non-starter and they know it.

Good post, I agree.

Jaron

Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2009, 01:44:36 AM
Quote from: Jaron on September 19, 2009, 01:27:48 AM

Just in case anyone wanted to take Jaron seriously... :lol: :jaron:

Care to ATTEMPT to refute my arguments or do you just have "I disagree" to throw out? Hope thats not how your Yukon Kangaroo courts operate.

"The defense has intends to show that the defendant, Lil' Runnin Polar Bear, was not drunk and did not strike that Mountie"

BB: "I disagree"

Judge: "The defendant is found: GUILTY"

<_<
Winner of THE grumbler point.