US: We won't be building the missile shield in Poland

Started by Martinus, September 17, 2009, 07:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 17, 2009, 12:34:50 PM
The program made little sense technically or strategically; the question always was how long we were going to stick to it simply for the purpose of avoiding handing the Russians an empty PR victory. 

I agree the timing could have better.  Like Day 1 of the Administration.
Did you miss the memo?  Looks like they are going to stick to it, only better in every concievable way.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2009, 12:40:35 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 17, 2009, 12:34:50 PM
The program made little sense technically or strategically; the question always was how long we were going to stick to it simply for the purpose of avoiding handing the Russians an empty PR victory. 

I agree the timing could have better.  Like Day 1 of the Administration.
Did you miss the memo?  Looks like they are going to stick to it, only better in every concievable way.

The memo I read said they are going to use different platforms, different architecture, different deployment.  Other than it being "missile defense" and involving Europe it is totally different.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Legbiter

Quote from: Strix on September 17, 2009, 11:47:16 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on September 17, 2009, 11:41:18 AM
Presumably the Americans get some quid pro quo from the Russians. Right?
We probably gave the Russians something else behind closed doors as well.

The Russians will view this climbdown as the US having sold Ukraine and Georgia down the river. The Ukrainian presidential election next January will be revealing.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Brain

Wasn't Obama born in Moscow and attended a Party school in Pskov?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Winkelried

Quote from: The Brain on September 17, 2009, 01:17:37 PM
Wasn't Obama born in Moscow and attended a Party school in Pskov?

AFAIK he was known as Obamarx back then.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Legbiter on September 17, 2009, 01:14:27 PM
Quote from: Strix on September 17, 2009, 11:47:16 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on September 17, 2009, 11:41:18 AM
Presumably the Americans get some quid pro quo from the Russians. Right?
We probably gave the Russians something else behind closed doors as well.

The Russians will view this climbdown as the US having sold Ukraine and Georgia down the river. The Ukrainian presidential election next January will be revealing.

I heard iron is in for curtains this season

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2009, 12:26:42 PM
Obama was just on CNN talking about installing a different kind of missile shield, one that's stronger, faster, swifter than the old one.

Didn't he also say that he hopes Iran will keep to its diplomatic promises? :P

Maybe has a drinking problem. :P

The Minsky Moment

The Ukrainian presidential election next January will be revealing.

In that case we all better hope Tymoshenko wins b/c I don't want to know what Yanukovich looks like once the flashy suits are taken off.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 17, 2009, 12:53:19 PM
The memo I read said they are going to use different platforms, different architecture, different deployment.  Other than it being "missile defense" and involving Europe it is totally different.
And bound to make sense technically and strategically.

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 17, 2009, 01:35:01 PM
The Ukrainian presidential election next January will be revealing.

In that case we all better hope Tymoshenko wins b/c I don't want to know what Yanukovich looks like once the flashy suits are taken off.
Will he be running against Tymoshenko? Or are you thinking of Yuschenko?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on September 17, 2009, 01:37:59 PM

Will he be running against Tymoshenko? Or are you thinking of Yuschenko?

Dont know - but Yuschenko is pretty fit so it doesn't work as well.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2009, 01:36:56 PM

That I do not know.  But if it costs less, already it is ahead on points.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on September 17, 2009, 09:47:16 AM
I thought Tim would at least be smart enough not to promote nuclear proliferation.
If the nuclear powers refuse to maintain world order, then every country with the ability to do so must embrace nuclear armament.

Obama has declared that he welcomes the conquest of Europe by Russia, and will do everything in his power to ensure that an aggressive Russian regime is building murder camps in occupied Poland before his administration leaves office.  The Poles would be crazy not to build atomics.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on September 17, 2009, 07:01:13 AM
Kudos to Obama for choosing a perfect date to announce that: 70th anniversary of the Soviet invasion against Poland.
:lol:
That is great.

It was a silly idea anyway. Good decision.
There's far better things to spend money on- even if the money stays in the military domain there are better options.
██████
██████
██████

Strix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2009, 01:36:56 PM

Or it will end up like the Big Dig!
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher