News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Holocaust denial

Started by Josquius, September 18, 2009, 08:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: miglia on September 23, 2009, 05:49:37 AM
I don't see Israel as part of my "us". Nor do I the palestinians for that matter. I can only speak for myself, and not other Europeans, but if I seem not to care it is because I don't, at least not much. Why do you care so much that they are rich, like you are?

It isn't the "rich", it's the shared values and institutions.

Europeans and Americans simply differ in this respect: Americans tend to view Jews as "of them", whereas historically at least many Europeans did not - even when said Jews looked exactly like them, spoke the same languages, etc. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Pat

Perhaps I am unfair to the secular humanists of Israel in my assessment, who I'm sure I could feel all kinds of kinship with, but there is much in Israeli culture and values which is, at least to me, decidedly middle-eastern. I don't think we have to look very far away to find examples of this.

edit: And as a preventive measure I will reiterate that I can only speak for myself, and to some extent Sweden, but I will not be able to speak for other Europeans, or, indeed, other Eurasians or other inhabitants of the GMT +1 time zone.

ulmont

Quote from: miglia on September 23, 2009, 05:26:58 AM
edit: though I was under the impression that there were only 2-3 million muslims in America, and many of them lived concentrated in places such as Detroit, but if you say I'm wrong I'll take your word for it

The US Census Bureau (which is barred from asking religious questions during the decennial census) did a 2007 study that found Jewish people as 1.7% of the population (5.2 million), with Muslims as 0.6% of the population (1.8 million):  http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/tables/09s0074.pdf

The Muslim numbers are somewhat disputed, with a 2001 study claiming that there were 6 million Muslims in the US.  See http://www.hartfordinstitute.org/research/fastfacts/fast_facts.html

Malthus

Quote from: miglia on September 23, 2009, 07:24:08 AM
Perhaps I am unfair to the secular humanists of Israel in my assessment, who I'm sure I could feel all kinds of kinship with, but there is much in Israeli culture and values which is, at least to me, decidedly middle-eastern. I don't think we have to look very far away to find examples of this.

edit: And as a preventive measure I will reiterate that I can only speak for myself, and to some extent Sweden, but I will not be able to speak for other Europeans, or, indeed, other Eurasians or other inhabitants of the GMT +1 time zone.

It depends on the Israeli. About half of Israelis are in point of fact from the ME. The other half are from Europe, and are basically indistinguishable from Europeans; with the exception of a minority of the religious (the majority of Ashkenazim or Israelis of European descent are in point of fact atheists or agnostic). 

In terms of institutions, Israel is pretty well all European. There is very little "middle eastern" about it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on September 23, 2009, 07:04:29 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 21, 2009, 06:10:41 PM
So you don't think this whole J-Street attempt could change things?  They argue that AIPAC etc have a pretty Likudnik view of policy that creates a damagingly limited discourse, because a lobby is seen as the representative of that whole issue, so the Israeli perspective is limited.

Such an attempt makes a good experiment for the thesis. If J-street is able to "change things" it would go to show that lobbying is the significant factor. If it isn't, it would be evidence in the other direction.

When I argue that American supprot for Israel is due to the large jewish-american population, that goes well beyond the organized lobbying efforts of groups like AIPAC.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2009, 10:27:10 AM
When I argue that American supprot for Israel is due to the large jewish-american population, that goes well beyond the organized lobbying efforts of groups like AIPAC.

The argument for J-street is that the views of the Jewish-American population are not being represented by AIPAC. If they are correct in this, and if you are right, then their success would be some evidence that you are correct, and their failure will be some evidence that either you and/or they are wrong. 

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on September 23, 2009, 10:30:20 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2009, 10:27:10 AM

The argument for J-street is that the views of the Jewish-American population are not being represented by AIPAC. If they are correct in this, and if you are right, then their success would be some evidence that you are correct, and their failure will be some evidence that either you and/or they are wrong.

I see.

But still that has more to do with the direction and nature of US support for Israel, not whether the US does or does not contribute significant support to Israel.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on September 23, 2009, 07:07:25 AM
Quote from: miglia on September 23, 2009, 05:49:37 AM
I don't see Israel as part of my "us". Nor do I the palestinians for that matter. I can only speak for myself, and not other Europeans, but if I seem not to care it is because I don't, at least not much. Why do you care so much that they are rich, like you are?

It isn't the "rich", it's the shared values and institutions.

Europeans and Americans simply differ in this respect: Americans tend to view Jews as "of them", whereas historically at least many Europeans did not - even when said Jews looked exactly like them, spoke the same languages, etc.

I believe this to be true.  Hell, I wouldn't doubt that the Israelis are more like Americans then Europeans are like Americans.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017