Jimmy Carter: Wilson comments 'based on racism'

Started by garbon, September 16, 2009, 01:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Agelastus on September 19, 2009, 04:25:48 PM
:lol:

Hansy, as a non-American, I find that chart quite funny; even witty.

Rascism is funny to the Rush Beckmeisters.

Hansmeister

Of course the real irony is that if anyone can be called a racist then it is Jimmy Carter.  People forget he was a George Wallace Democrat until he ran for President.

Nowadays he seems to mostly hate jews, of course, like a typical modern progressive.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Hansmeister on September 20, 2009, 08:16:44 AM
Of course the real irony is that if anyone can be called a racist then it is Jimmy Carter.  People forget he was a George Wallace Democrat until he ran for President.
I thought he was the first Southern Governor to say that racial segregation had no place in public policy and appointed a number of blacks to senior positions in Georgia government?  I'd always thought that - in the context of the time - he was a Southern moderate.
Let's bomb Russia!

Hansmeister

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 20, 2009, 08:25:24 AM
I thought he was the first Southern Governor to say that racial segregation had no place in public policy and appointed a number of blacks to senior positions in Georgia government?  I'd always thought that - in the context of the time - he was a Southern moderate.
His conversion only came after he was unable to continue fighting desegregation.  As a school board member he continued to fight for segregated schools long after Brown v. Board of Education.  When he ran for governor he distributed pictures of his opponent being embraced by two black basketball players at KKK raliies.  He promised to second George Wallace's nomination for president in '72 (he broke that promise when he backed Scoop Jackson instead).  He spent decades as your typical southern democrat racist until his miraculous transformation in order to run for national office.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 20, 2009, 08:25:24 AM

Hansy's hatred of Carter is even deeper than his hatred of Clinton, as it's based primarily in mythology.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Hansmeister on September 20, 2009, 08:42:08 AM
His conversion only came after he was unable to continue fighting desegregation.  As a school board member he continued to fight for segregated schools long after Brown v. Board of Education.  When he ran for governor he distributed pictures of his opponent being embraced by two black basketball players at KKK raliies.  He promised to second George Wallace's nomination for president in '72 (he broke that promise when he backed Scoop Jackson instead).  He spent decades as your typical southern democrat racist until his miraculous transformation in order to run for national office.

You're full of more shit than a Palestinian well within 10 feet of Siegy.

Neil

What's wrong with backing George Wallace in '72 for the Democratic nomination?  Anybody would be better than the guy who actually got nominated.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Hansmeister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 20, 2009, 08:47:49 AM

Unlike you, I actually know what I'm talking about.  Apparently you believe in the immaculate rise of the good ol'boy southern democrat, free of association to racism in the '50s and '60s. :lmfao:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Hansmeister on September 20, 2009, 09:26:24 AM
Unlike you, I actually know what I'm talking about. 

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Unfortunately, this morning you're in your rabidly frothy Hyperbolemeister mode when it comes to Carter's early political career.  I suggest more reading on the topic.  Of books, not blogs.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 20, 2009, 09:30:22 AM
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Unfortunately, this morning you're in your rabidly frothy Hyperbolemeister mode when it comes to Carter's early political career.  I suggest more reading on the topic.  Of books, not blogs.

I like this from Encarta:

QuoteAlthough Carter's campaign had been tinged with racism, there was no trace of racism in his subsequent actions. In his inaugural speech in 1971, Carter declared, "The time for racial discrimination is over."

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

[ (he broke that promise when he backed Scoop Jackson instead).

Because if you're not going to back George Wallace, Scoop Jackson is the next closest thing.    :blink:
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on September 20, 2009, 12:21:33 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 20, 2009, 09:30:22 AM

I like this from Encarta:

QuoteAlthough Carter's campaign had been tinged with racism, there was no trace of racism in his subsequent actions. In his inaugural speech in 1971, Carter declared, "The time for racial discrimination is over."

Hey, there's a time for everything, you know :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I wonder exactly what NRO article he got this from.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on September 21, 2009, 12:33:48 AM
Hey, there's a time for everything, you know :lol:

Yeah I guess it is okay to espouse racist rhetoric, as long as it is useful.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Hansmeister on September 20, 2009, 09:26:24 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 20, 2009, 08:47:49 AM

Unlike you, I actually know what I'm talking about.  Apparently you believe in the immaculate rise of the good ol'boy southern democrat, free of association to racism in the '50s and '60s. :lmfao:

This is a curious tack to take from a guy from the party of the south.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017