Yankball
2 (6.5%)
Fodbol
11 (35.5%)
Hockey
5 (16.1%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Admiral Yi

I'm inclined towards basketball.  Game is quick, the line between a charge and a block is so thin, there's continuous incidental contact and continuous wrestling in the low post and on rebounds.

Grey Fox

Football, so many rules, it's crazy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

saskganesh

hockey. just thinking about goal disputes, even in the age of instant replay, is enough reason alone.
humans were created in their own image

Barrister

I'm going to go with baseball.

There are lots of tough calls in football, and a lesser extent hockey, but this is the age of video replay.  That has to take a lot of the pressure off.

But trying to judge the strike zone on a 90mph fastball?  And with no video review to speak of?  Man thats tough.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: saskganesh on March 24, 2009, 06:53:52 PM
hockey. just thinking about goal disputes, even in the age of instant replay, is enough reason alone.
Really?  It seems to me that anything even a little bit controversial is decided out of Toronto anyways.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

saskganesh

Quote from: Neil on March 24, 2009, 07:01:44 PM
Quote from: saskganesh on March 24, 2009, 06:53:52 PM
Really?  It seems to me that anything even a little bit controversial is decided out of Toronto anyways.

yes. but as a ref, you make the first on the spot decision, there's an appeal, the tape goes to review, HNIC replays it by every angle to an audience of 2 million, and then the decision is overturned. the ref loses the room, the ice and the country. his career stalls, manure is dumped on his lawn, a horse head is found in his bed and eventually he retires for family reasons.

humans were created in their own image

fhdz

Baseball.  There are so many close calls in the strike zone and at the bags, and the umpires just have to eyeball them.
and the horse you rode in on

jimmy olsen

I'm going to have say baseball, with the ball moving that fast, just calling balls and strikes must be hard.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

I've done both basketball and football, and basketball is a lot harder.

And I do basketball with someone who is a minor league baseball ump, and he says basketball is harder.

Balls and strikes are not really that hard.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

There is a saying among basketball officials:

Baseball is a game invented for the players.
Football is a game inventred for the coaches.
Basketball is a game invented for the officials.

No other team sport where the officials have such an intimate influence (for better or worse) on how each game is played. And no other game where the line between legal and illegal play is razor thin, often subjective, and constantly challenged.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Monoriu

Soccer.  Ok, a bad referee call in, say, bastetball may cost a team 2, 3, 4 points.  That is not that big of a deal in a game where teams frequently score 60-100 points. 

One bad call in soccer may cost one goal.  Most soccer matches are decided by one or two goals.  One decision and it makes or breaks a team for an entire season.

Neil

Quote from: Monoriu on March 24, 2009, 09:08:44 PM
Soccer.  Ok, a bad referee call in, say, bastetball may cost a team 2, 3, 4 points.  That is not that big of a deal in a game where teams frequently score 60-100 points. 

One bad call in soccer may cost one goal.  Most soccer matches are decided by one or two goals.  One decision and it makes or breaks a team for an entire season.
Yeah, but calls in soccer are easy.  Every time somebody falls over, you randomly decide which team gets a free kick, since every takedown in soccer includes both a foul and a dive.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

American football would have to be physically the toughest, I'd think.  I realize that's not exactly what the question was really getting at.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Neil on March 24, 2009, 09:24:17 PM
since every takedown in soccer includes both a foul and a dive.
That's the beauty of the sport.  ^_^
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Quote from: Monoriu on March 24, 2009, 09:08:44 PM

Over here players usually say, "Referees' misjudgments will cancel each other out over the season." :lol:

They often have to decide within seconds - offsides or no? Did the guy go for the ball or the opponent's shin? Across the line or not? Who touched the ball last before it went out. And all of that without instant replay - it's brought up again and again, but general consensus is that they rather live with human error than take long time outs. If there's a huge fuck up it may lead to the ref being reprimanded, or post-match suspension of players or repeat matches.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.