Yankball
2 (6.5%)
Fodbol
11 (35.5%)
Hockey
5 (16.1%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Eochaid

Quote from: Brazen on March 25, 2009, 08:35:24 AMNo. We invented it so we can call it what we like. Stop calling a game where you hardly use your feet football, foo'.

+1

Kevin
It's been a while

Valmy

Quote from: Eochaid on March 25, 2009, 09:30:44 AM
+1

Kevin

We had two types of football: Rugby football and Association Football.  The former got to be called 'Football' and the latter got to be called 'soccer'.

Again it is the Brits fault for calling it 'Rugby Football' and we turned into our own version.  So you have nobody to blame but yourselves for our naming conventions.  They all come from Blighty.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eochaid

Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2009, 09:37:02 AMWe had two types of football: Rugby football and Association Football.  The former got to be called 'Football' and the latter got to be called 'soccer'.

Again it is the Brits fault for calling it 'Rugby Football' and we turned into our own version.  So you have nobody to blame but yourselves for our naming conventions.  They all come from Blighty.

How come every other nation on Earth got it right then :D

Kevin
It's been a while

Delirium

I agreed with the Admiral's opening statement about basketball so didn't bother to read any other replies. Basketball it is.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

crazy canuck

Going with Basketball.  I could play the sport but I made a terrible ref.   After trying to ref a couple games my appreciation for the guys that consistently made the right call really increased.

Josquius

Quote from: Brazen on March 25, 2009, 08:35:24 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 25, 2009, 06:49:17 AM
From now on, I think it would be best that the Euros when referring to soccer, either use Soccer or the official name of Association Football.

:bowler:
No. We invented it so we can call it what we like. Stop calling a game where you hardly use your feet football, foo'.

The people who called football soccer also called rugby rugger. Why didn't you pick up the latter silly slang too? Be consistant.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Eochaid on March 25, 2009, 09:38:44 AM
[ How come every other nation on Earth got it right then :D

Kevin

Because we are North Americans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Thank Hod the new board left justifies the poll results.

Follow up question: which refs are the coolest?

Hockey: dorkey little helmets.
Fodbol: dorkey little shorts, dorkey little flash cards.
Yankball: some of the motions for indicating penalties look pretty dorkey.
Basketball: nothing really dorkey, but nothing terribly cool either.  I guess I kind of like the charge call.

Baseball has the coolest refs.  Uniforms are dignified, all the motions and positions for making calls (strike, out, safe) make for impressive visual scenes, the strike out call is completely badass.

Ed Anger

QuoteYankball

2 kicks to the nuts now.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 25, 2009, 02:56:40 PM
2 kicks to the nuts now.
Brave words from the tough guy hiding behind the Vagina Wall of Solitude. :rolleyes:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2009, 03:00:39 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 25, 2009, 02:56:40 PM
2 kicks to the nuts now.
Brave words from the tough guy hiding behind the Vagina Wall of Solitude. :rolleyes:

When the technology to reach through the internet is perfected, You and Cal better wear a cup.

And I don't own the Vagina wall any more.

Warspite

I can't do a comparison, but the problem with officiating in soccer and what makes it so hard is that it's hard to be in the right place at the right time. How do you determine who made contact upon whom when you're running full belt to keep up with a counter-attack and are at a crappy angle to see anything? You've got two sets of problems - everyone clustered together in a crowd for a set piece, and then everyone spread out over a large area that you can't see all at once in normal play. The rules are pretty simple at least, except for offside, which changes at FIFA's behest every twenty minutes, and tackling, which no referee seems to have the same standards for judging.

And what do you do when you're officiating Croatia vs. Australia at the World Cup in a must win game and the Croatian defender who keeps fouling has a thick Australian accent?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

frunk

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 25, 2009, 03:03:20 PM
And I don't own the Vagina wall any more.

:cry: Where will the moths of begging go now?

Ed Anger

FunkMonk

Toss up between basketball and soccer. I chose soccer because it's my personal favorite and I've officiated it before.

Also nothing is more cooler in officiating than running up to a player and yanking out the red card right into his face for everyone to see.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.