Yankball
2 (6.5%)
Fodbol
11 (35.5%)
Hockey
5 (16.1%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Zanza

Basketball and hockey look complicated mainly because of the speed they are played at. Football and baseball look easy. That's from the outside, no idea how hard it really is. Soccer has an offside rule that is rather complicated for the referee, but the rest is straightforward. However, as Mono said, a single mistake might make more of a difference than in say basketball or baseball. I guess it might be the most physically demanding though as the referee has to run something like 12-15 km within the 90 minutes. I'd say refereeing soccer is demanding, but not as demanding as hockey or basketball may be.

Viking

Offside rule is not Complicated.

However, rather than sports fans competing for the toughest refereeing job. I'd rather suggest that the toughest refereeing job is the game that leaves most to the referees hand, and consequently the game where there is most referee bribing compared to player bribing.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Viking on March 25, 2009, 04:51:39 PM

Correct, but for some people it is. Once some idiot called me offsides on my own side of the field when I was making a break for the other goal.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Larch

However, rather than sports fans competing for the toughest refereeing job. I'd rather suggest that the toughest refereeing job is the game that leaves most to the referees hand, and consequently the game where there is most referee bribing compared to player bribing.

It's not complicated in theory, but in practice it's often difficult to judge.

An important facet of football reffereeing are red cards. In footie a sent off player is not replaced by another one, thus rendering its team substantially weakened, so a capricious ref may very well cripple one of the teams if he's sloppy with his card handling.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 25, 2009, 04:10:53 PM
Also nothing is more cooler in officiating than running up to a player and yanking out the red card right into his face for everyone to see.
Dork.

(More cooler?)

grumbler

Quote from: Brazen on March 25, 2009, 08:35:24 AM
No. We invented it so we can call it what we like. Stop calling a game where you hardly use your feet football, foo'.
Actually, you didn't.  Modern (US-style) football came out at about the sme time as (Euro-style)football, and both came from the antecedent of what is now called Rugby, but which used to just be "football" (which was to say, the game played by foorsoldiers as opposed to cavalry).

So, you appeal to antiqueness and originality fails.  Sorry.  :(
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2009, 06:15:02 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on March 25, 2009, 04:10:53 PM
Also nothing is more cooler in officiating than running up to a player and yanking out the red card right into his face for everyone to see.
Dork.

(More cooler?)

Got me  :bowler:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

I said basketball because it is the sport I see most dominated, in terms of player decisions and coaching decisions, by how they think the refs are calling the game.  If they think the refs are calling a loose game, they push the envelope.

Hockey is something like that, but I don't know enough about the game to really tell.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on March 25, 2009, 07:01:14 PM
I said basketball because it is the sport I see most dominated, in terms of player decisions and coaching decisions, by how they think the refs are calling the game.  If they think the refs are calling a loose game, they push the envelope.

Hockey is something like that, but I don't know enough about the game to really tell.

Bang on.

Hockey players also play to where they think the refs threshold lies but in hockey that is more situation dependent then in basketball.  For example in the 3rd period or overtime of a hockey game the offense has to be really obvious for a penalty to be called. As a result the game becomes a lot more chippy and during those times as compared to the opening periods when penalties are more likely to be called.

In basketball refs are more likely to call the game consistently throughout.  The secret is determining what they will be calling and what they will let go.

Edit: in my experience the best refs always gave me a warning that they didnt like something I was doing (holding my harm on the back of the offensive player etc.) before they called the foul so that they clearly communicated their expectations before giving out fouls.

PDH

Refereeing the javelin.  Jeez, did you ever see the video of that guy getting hit?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Warspite

Hm, I'd say rugby is a game that can really turn on the referee's own application of the laws.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

crazy canuck

Quote from: Warspite on March 26, 2009, 10:45:43 AM
Hm, I'd say rugby is a game that can really turn on the referee's own application of the laws.

I suppose calling a foul forcing a chance to kick for points but in the flow of the game the ref doesnt have that much influence does he?

The Brain

Baseball. Staying awake is practically impossible.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2009, 02:55:48 PM
Thank Hod the new board left justifies the poll results.

Follow up question: which refs are the coolest?

:cool:  :unsure:
Let's bomb Russia!