News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Darwin Film Too Controversial for america

Started by Faeelin, September 13, 2009, 02:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2009, 06:55:47 PM
Even if that bizarre belief is true not every single religion in the United States is a super conservative insane literalist evolution denying religion.
Religion and truth are fundamentally incompatible.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

dps

Quote from: Faeelin on September 13, 2009, 07:24:18 PM
Something seems odd about this to me. There's a market for gay horror movies, for Christ's sake. Were they demanding too much money?

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the producer didn't even offer the film for distribution in the US for the specific purpose of being able to stir up controvery over the lack of a US distributor, as Peter Wiggin suggests.

DGuller

Quote from: Neil on September 13, 2009, 08:36:49 PM
Even if that bizarre belief is true not every single religion in the United States is a super conservative insane literalist evolution denying religion.
On the contrary, every religion I know of deals extensively with defining the truth.

derspiess

Keep that Darwinistic shit out of my country  :mad:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Alatriste

Quote from: DGuller on September 13, 2009, 11:47:54 PM
On the contrary, every religion I know of deals extensively with defining the truth.

The truth that can be defined is not the definitive truth, as Lao Tze could have said.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Pishtaco

Quote from: Alatriste on September 14, 2009, 12:26:28 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 13, 2009, 11:47:54 PM

The truth that can be defined is not the definitive truth, as Lao Tze could have said.
Or Tarski.

Martinus

QuoteBut in the US, outside of New York and LA, religion rules.

I find it rather sad an article that is supposed to be in favor of rational discourse over evolution would find it necessary to lie and misrepresent not only the status of religion in America but the religions themselves.  How bizarre.

The article states that only 38% of Americans think the theory of evolution is correct. Do you dispute this number? Because if it is true, it is pretty much crazy and extraordinary, your claims about benevolent and sane denominations notwithstanding.