Darwin Film Too Controversial for america

Started by Faeelin, September 13, 2009, 02:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

It would be sad to think that  38% of Americans can believe a theory to be "correct".  A scientific theory can't be proven only disproven.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Alatriste on September 14, 2009, 12:26:28 AM
The truth that can be defined is not the definitive truth, as Lao Tze could have said.
I guess that depends on how you define definitive truth, doesn't it?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2009, 01:47:38 AM
It would be sad to think that  38% of Americans can believe a theory to be "correct".  A scientific theory can't be proven only disproven.

Correct is not a synonym of proven.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 14, 2009, 02:36:48 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2009, 01:47:38 AM

Correct is not a synonym of proven.

In fact, I did a search for "synonym", "correct", and "prove".  Apparently it is.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

dps

Quote from: Martinus on September 14, 2009, 01:44:08 AM

The article states that only 38% of Americans think the theory of evolution is correct. Do you dispute this number?

I'll dispute that.  The article states 39%, not 38%.               :P

Ok, on a serious note, I suspect that the poll worded the question strangely.  Probably something along the lines of, "Do you think it's possible that Darwin's theory of evolution is not correct?" and only 39% said "no" and then that got reported as "61% said that it's possible that Darwin's theory is wrong".  But you can think that Darwin was right, and still say that it's possible that he was wrong.

Eddie Teach

I bet you think "not guilty" is the same as innocent as well.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 14, 2009, 03:39:44 AM

Close enough for government work.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2009, 03:43:37 AM

I have a hunch that you don't know what that phrase means, either.

Jos Theelen

QuoteMovieguide.org, an influential site which reviews films from a Christian perspective, described Darwin as the father of eugenics and denounced him as "a racist, a bigot and an 1800s naturalist whose legacy is mass murder". His "half-baked theory" directly influenced Adolf Hitler and led to "atrocities, crimes against humanity, cloning and genetic engineering", the site stated.

:x

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on September 14, 2009, 03:48:50 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2009, 03:43:37 AM

I have a hunch that you don't know what that phrase means, either.

I have a hunch you missed the joke.

Brazen

If nothing else, I think the casting's pretty controverisal. Paul Bettany as a sexy strawberry blonde Darwin?

Viking

A scientific theory is a set of theorems, postulates and laws which are consistent with each other, explain all observations and are contradicted by none. It is the closest we can get to truth outside of mathematics.

You do not get to vote on it though. It is either a theory or it fails one of the three tests above and thus is garbage. Voting doesn't change any of this.

If Americans who want to watch that movie can't in the theatres, they can probably catch it on PBS or BBC America next year some time.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on September 14, 2009, 01:44:08 AM
The article states that only 38% of Americans think the theory of evolution is correct. Do you dispute this number? Because if it is true, it is pretty much crazy and extraordinary, your claims about benevolent and sane denominations notwithstanding.

What the article said is that 39% of the Americans believe in evolution.  I am not sure of the nuances of that.

Frankly 39% of Americans being intelligent enough to have an opinion on the subject is sort of refreshing.

But that does not mean everybody outside of New York and LA is religious and follows a religion that includes explicit rejection of the theory of evolution as part of its dogma.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Bettany-Connelly lost whatever indie cred they still have left when they left Brooklyn and moved to Tribeca like every other DeNiro wannabe Hollywood hipster.  No wonder they can't get their precious distribution.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: derspiess on September 13, 2009, 11:55:26 PM
Keep that Darwinistic shit out of my country  :mad:

yeah since The USA has no interest in freedom of religion, or speech. :rolleyes:
:p