Darwin Film Too Controversial for america

Started by Faeelin, September 13, 2009, 02:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saskganesh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 13, 2009, 02:53:32 PM
I'm betting the lack of distributor has more to do with our reluctance to see dry low-budget indies than any fear of boycott.

but there is a demonstrated profitable market for "low budget indies" in America.

it may not be a homerun, but it more likely could be a man on base.

the other thing about indies, if it does become a hit, it often means insane profits. see Blair Witch.

humans were created in their own image

CountDeMoney

It would do better on cable than in theaters.  Indie theaters, even in the best of economic times, isn't nearly as profitable as cable, like Sundance or IFC or IndieNet.

Razgovory

Any way if it was a dry biopic of Einstein trying to get his theory of general relativity perfected while he's a complete asshole to his wife I doubt many distributors in Europe would pick it up.  He's a Jew after all.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

saskganesh

ok, if its a good film, someone will pick it up, and profit for the controversy.  I imagine the experts here will pretend it never happened and if pressed, deny their previous statements.

humans were created in their own image

Razgovory

Quote from: saskganesh on September 13, 2009, 06:51:07 PM
ok, if its a good film, someone will pick it up, and profit for the controversy.  I imagine the experts here will pretend it never happened and if pressed, deny their previous statements.

I think you missed the point.  It wasn't that it wouldn't profit.  It was that distributors didn't want to take a risk on a movie that might not profit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

QuoteBut in the US, outside of New York and LA, religion rules.

Even if that bizarre belief is true not every single religion in the United States is a super conservative insane literalist evolution denying religion.

I find it rather sad an article that is supposed to be in favor of rational discourse over evolution would find it necessary to lie and misrepresent not only the status of religion in America but the religions themselves.  How bizarre.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: saskganesh on September 13, 2009, 06:46:22 PM
but there is a demonstrated profitable market for "low budget indies" in America.

Sure, but generally not the people on the AFA's mailing list.

This sounds like a director trying to stir up controversy & publicity. If he really believes what he's saying, he's clueless.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Didn't Darwin's experiences in the American South also have an impact on his loss of faith?  I hope they include that.  Those idiots drove the Christianity out of Jesus in the first place.   :lol:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2009, 06:55:47 PM
QuoteBut in the US, outside of New York and LA, religion rules.

Even if that bizarre belief is true not every single religion in the United States is a super conservative insane literalist evolution denying religion.

I find it rather sad an article that is supposed to be in favor of rational discourse over evolution would find it necessary to lie and misrepresent not only the status of religion in America but the religions themselves.  How bizarre.

It's pretty common to do that.  I think it stems from honest ignorance rather then malice.

Faeelin

Something seems odd about this to me. There's a market for gay horror movies, for Christ's sake. Were they demanding too much money?

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on September 13, 2009, 07:06:36 PM
It's pretty common to do that.  I think it stems from honest ignorance rather then malice.

Well even if it was true you would think New York and Los Angeles, the two biggest media markets in the country, would be worth releasing a film.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Faeelin on September 13, 2009, 07:24:18 PM
Something seems odd about this to me. There's a market for gay horror movies, for Christ's sake. Were they demanding too much money?
Do gay horror movies have movie starsts in them? (I've honestly no idea)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2009, 07:41:34 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on September 13, 2009, 07:24:18 PM
Do gay horror movies have movie starts in them? (I've honestly no idea)

And stops!

garbon