News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lord of the Rings Online thread

Started by Berkut, March 24, 2009, 03:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

I've tried a number of these games now and LOTRO is my favourite, but I'm very uncompetitive. I just tool around at modest level of competence; the important thing for me is the immersion and suspension of disbelief, which is higher in this game IMO precisely because it is less competitive than some of the other games out there. With a couple of beers and the right company i really feel like a participant in Middle earth and the war of the Ring  :cool:

Syt

Me, I enjoy exploring the world, doing quests while socializing in chat or some such. However, I found that many of these games inevitably reach a point where it becomes rather time demanding if you want to progress further which is the point where I drop off.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

So basically you're a quitter, got it.

:P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grallon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 29, 2009, 03:49:25 PM
... the important thing for me is the immersion and suspension of disbelief, which is higher in this game IMO precisely because it is less competitive than some of the other games out there. With a couple of beers and the right company i really feel like a participant in Middle earth and the war of the Ring  :cool:

I agree completely.  And now that I'm passed lvl 15 (17), have removed the automated tooltip and forced the camera to follow the character - I'm fully immersed.  And gods did they do a good job at rendering Middle Earth !  We see clearly the influence of Jackson's movies.  Yesterday I visited Hobitton and Bag End...  Exactly as it was in the movies !  None of that cartoonish look you get in  WoW (pink pig tales gnomes :bleeding:).  The music as well; when you listen closely there are echos of Howard Shore' score. 

And it's really cool to see 'live' characters you met in the books.  Such as Lobelia Sackville-Bagins and her son waiting at the door of Bag End - Or Barliman Butterbur welcoming you at the Prancing Poney; or Aragorn himself from whom you get quests. 

There's plenty of room for expensions since Gondor isn't mapped, nor is Ithilien, Dalet-on-the-Lake, Erebor, Harad...

However since the narrative is tied to the War of the Ring...  what happens when the Ring gets destroyed ?  You continue to play during the reign of Elessar ?

And private houses !!!  That alone gets me all frisky  :P

But above all - none of the cacophony you get on WoW servers *contended sigh*

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Berkut

I played for a couple hours last night on my Captain.

Did not really do any quests, or get any real XP. Just spent the time exploring the North Downs. Freaking awesome.

WoW is like driving a American muscle car. Loud, flashy, powerful, and plenty of fun. And it is obvious fun.

You start playing LOTRO, and there is the sense of being underwhelmed compared to WoW. It isn't nearly as loud and in your face. It doesn't shove the fun down your throat in bucketfuls. It is like getting into a Lexus or a 5-series Beamer after driving a Mustang around. Gosh, this doesn't seem nearly as exciting! But then, after you drive around a while, you start to realize that the experience is a hell of a lot more in depth, much more subtle, but just as rewarding....and likely considerably more so.

Berkut has left Gang at War, and joined a new kinship that has about 20 people online pretty much all the time. Super friendly, lots of people willing to help out, and mature and relaxed guild chat. If anyone wants an invite after they hit level 10 and finish the intro quest line, let me know.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

katmai

Quote from: Berkut on March 30, 2009, 08:29:31 AM

Berkut has left Gang at War, and joined a new kinship that has about 20 people online pretty much all the time. Super friendly, lots of people willing to help out, and mature and relaxed guild chat. If anyone wants an invite after they hit level 10 and finish the intro quest line, let me know.

Just hit 10 on my new hunter, but thinking of getting xpac as more i read about warden makes me think it's what i'd like to play.

Grey Fox

Looks like I'm re-rolling on the liquor server.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Richard Hakluyt

How many North American servers are there btw?

There are 11 European ones; 5 English-speaking, 4 German-speaking and 2 French speaking.

katmai

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 30, 2009, 10:24:29 AM
How many North American servers are there btw?

There are 11 European ones; 5 English-speaking, 4 German-speaking and 2 French speaking.

Just checked 11 NA servers, and was able to upgrade the Moria xpac online and tried out a Warden...me rikey.

Berkut

I heard the Runekeepers are crazy op at the moment.

Supposedly there was a quote from the RK rep on the forums, something like "Enjoy it while it lasts..."

0 rows returned

Richard Hakluyt

I was chatting to someone in LOTRO earlier who played a RK on trial on a NA server. When she got her retail copy she was on a EU server, being a European. Anyway, she said the RK was much more powerful on the NA servers than on the EU servers. I believe you guys already have the book 7 update over there? We are getting book 7 in three days time.

I find this quite strange, having grouped with RKs recently I thought they were really quite powerful enough already, albeit they may be a tricky class to play optimally.

katmai

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 30, 2009, 10:31:56 AM
I was chatting to someone in LOTRO earlier who played a RK on trial on a NA server. When she got her retail copy she was on a EU server, being a European. Anyway, she said the RK was much more powerful on the NA servers than on the EU servers. I believe you guys already have the book 7 update over there? We are getting book 7 in three days time.

I find this quite strange, having grouped with RKs recently I thought they were really quite powerful enough already, albeit they may be a tricky class to play optimally.

Yeah book 7 just came out and they have been doing a 25% xp bonus for this weekend 26-31st so my warden was lvl 8 before getting out of the intro area, will be lvl 10 later today.

Grey Fox

Playing an RK was much fun so far, too bad they'll get nerfed.

Might look into the Warden.

Any of guys play instruments in the game?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

I have not, but would really like to give it a try.

0 rows returned

Richard Hakluyt

I think I'd need to macro the music to play anything decent, low dexterity  :(