News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languages

Started by Eddie Teach, September 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you fluent in any foreign languages?

Yes, but only English
13 (19.4%)
Yes, in addition to English(which isn't my native tongue)
18 (26.9%)
Yes, and English is my native tongue
13 (19.4%)
No, English only
22 (32.8%)
No comprendo(the Jaron/IKK option)
1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Camerus

QuoteI suck at pinyin  :blush:

What's the name for the Romanization system used by Cantonese speakers in HK?  Is it just Wade-Giles or what?

Monoriu

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on September 07, 2009, 09:25:25 AM
What's the name for the Romanization system used by Cantonese speakers in HK?  Is it just Wade-Giles or what?

We don't use romanization at all, as far as I am aware.  Pinyin is a mainland thing. 

Camerus

Quote from: Monoriu on September 07, 2009, 09:26:45 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on September 07, 2009, 09:25:25 AM

We don't use romanization at all, as far as I am aware.  Pinyin is a mainland thing.

I see.  But sometimes I see the romanization of Cantonese at karaoke here in Nanjing.... or in HK place names.  But obviously it is not terribly common.

Ed Anger

I still call Beijing Peking. And nobody is gonna make me change. Damn kids and their new fangled ways.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 07, 2009, 09:28:44 AM
I still call Beijing Peking. And nobody is gonna make me change. Damn kids and their new fangled ways.

There is a very well known restaurant in HK known as Peking Garden.  Most people here also say/write Peking duck, not Beijing duck.

So you are hardly unique  :P

Strix

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 07, 2009, 09:28:44 AM

I feel the same way. I keep addressing everything I send downstate to New Amsterdam. It keeps getting sent back! Those damn Tory lovers and their New York City nonsense.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Eddie Teach

Pinyin may be more accurate, but Wade-Giles is generally a lot prettier.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

All forms of romanization is unnecessary.  Just memorize the pronounciations :contract:

PDH

Wade-Giles, though, had all those special pronounciation rules - letters didn't sound like English necessarily...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on September 07, 2009, 10:00:52 AM
All forms of romanization is unnecessary.  Just memorize the pronounciations :contract:
Some civilizations have discovered this ingenious technology called "writing."

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 07, 2009, 10:03:09 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 07, 2009, 10:00:52 AM
Some civilizations have discovered this ingenious technology called "writing."

Isn't Alphabets a dead end and basically useless if you don't intend to trade techs?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on September 07, 2009, 10:04:43 AM
Isn't Alphabets a dead end and basically useless if you don't intend to trade techs?

:huh:

Why wouldn't you want to be able to extort techs?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

swallow

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on September 07, 2009, 09:23:19 AM
Apropos to what I was saying in the Brit-in-Quebec thread, it just goes to show the yawning gulf between learning a language in elementary or secondary school, and actually being able to use it in real life.
Son and I have just now started learning Spanish together for going on holiday.  We're using the BBC schools, which is excellent, and are starting at primary level.  The gap between where we've started and where we need to get to does seem enormous

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 07, 2009, 09:12:26 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 07, 2009, 06:31:53 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on September 07, 2009, 06:10:21 AM
My Chinese is still extremely shitty.  However, I find I do have to use it a lot here in Nanjing, since most people (especially store and restaurant staff) usually literally don't speak a word of English, other than "hello" and "bye bye".
In the buildup to the 88 Olympics the Korean government embarked on a massive year-long training program and managed to teach most school children how to say "welcome to Korea."

And 20 years later, most can now manage "Hello", "What's your name?" "How are you?", and "Fine, thank you. And you?"
;)

they can probably say 'starcraft' and 'kekekekeke' too :p ;)

lustindarkness

What if after the last decade in the US my english is better than my native spanish, how should I vote?  :P
Grand Duke of Lurkdom