News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languages

Started by Eddie Teach, September 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you fluent in any foreign languages?

Yes, but only English
13 (19.4%)
Yes, in addition to English(which isn't my native tongue)
18 (26.9%)
Yes, and English is my native tongue
13 (19.4%)
No, English only
22 (32.8%)
No comprendo(the Jaron/IKK option)
1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Queequeg

Quote from: Monoriu on September 06, 2009, 09:06:24 PM
In Cantonese:

Mandarin: there is more than one way to say "Mandarin" in Cantonese.  The most common way is "Po Tung Wah" - literally, "ordinary language".  Another, less common expression is "Gwok Yu", which means the "national language". 

I always thought Hua (what Caliga said) meant something like "correct" and indicated Mandarin-speaking Han Chinese? What does Hua mean, then?

Mandarin is so far from English that I don't think I'd ever have a real shot at learning it now.  No exposure to tonal languages before age 11=no chance of fluency in Mandarin, no real chance of getting even passable Cantonese.  At least Turkish is Latin Alphabet, tone-free and has some basic grammatical similarities with the Indo-European languages and a more European style. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Queequeg on September 07, 2009, 02:26:11 AM
No exposure to tonal languages before age 11=no chance of fluency in Mandarin

The Prime Minister of Australia seems to have done it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tixwTItEp9A&feature=related

Monoriu

I always thought Hua (what Caliga said) meant something like "correct" and indicated Mandarin-speaking Han Chinese? What does Hua mean, then?

Mandarin is so far from English that I don't think I'd ever have a real shot at learning it now.  No exposure to tonal languages before age 11=no chance of fluency in Mandarin, no real chance of getting even passable Cantonese.  At least Turkish is Latin Alphabet, tone-free and has some basic grammatical similarities with the Indo-European languages and a more European style.

There are many, many Chinese words that are pronounced as "Hua".  So it all depends on exactly which Chinese word you mean, and the context.  One meaning of "Hua" is "grand".  The official name of Mainland China is "Chung Hua Ren Min Gong He Guo".  Chung means central, middle.  Think "Middle Kingdom".  Hua is grand, sorta like the "Great" in Great Britain.  Chung Hua combined means China.  Ren Min is People.  Gong He Guo is Republic.  People's Republic of China. 

Hua Yu means Chinese.

Monoriu

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on September 07, 2009, 02:39:18 AM
No exposure to tonal languages before age 11=no chance of fluency in Mandarin

The Prime Minister of Australia seems to have done it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tixwTItEp9A&feature=related

Yeah, his Mandarin is better than mine. 

Josquius

What kind of accent does Rudd have? Beijinger?
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on September 07, 2009, 04:54:12 AM

No, he doesn't sound like a Beijinger.  His Mandarin is very, very good.  If I listen to that without seeing his face, I will guess it is a Chinese speaking. 

Admiral Yi

Did he serve in the Korean War? :ph34r:

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on September 07, 2009, 05:06:54 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 07, 2009, 04:54:12 AM

No, he doesn't sound like a Beijinger.  His Mandarin is very, very good.  If I listen to that without seeing his face, I will guess it is a Chinese speaking. 
If he sounds Chinese though then surely he'd sound like he's from at least some area (even if very roughly)?
Or maybe I'm thinking in too much of a English variation mindset there (though I had heard Chinese has this a lot too).
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on September 07, 2009, 05:33:25 AM

If he sounds Chinese though then surely he'd sound like he's from at least some area (even if very roughly)?
Or maybe I'm thinking in too much of a English variation mindset there (though I had heard Chinese has this a lot too).

He sounds like the news anchors of the Chinese state-run TV news programmes.  Only these guys speak Mandarin that is so perfect  :lol:

Camerus

Not trying to pull a Don'tSayBanana, but the "correct" spelling in pinyin (i.e. modern, standardized Romanization) for Mandarin is "pu tong hua" or "pǔ ​tōng ​huà​" with the tones marked.

My Chinese is still extremely shitty.  However, I find I do have to use it a lot here in Nanjing, since most people (especially store and restaurant staff) usually literally don't speak a word of English, other than "hello" and "bye bye".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on September 07, 2009, 06:10:21 AM
My Chinese is still extremely shitty.  However, I find I do have to use it a lot here in Nanjing, since most people (especially store and restaurant staff) usually literally don't speak a word of English, other than "hello" and "bye bye".
In the buildup to the 88 Olympics the Korean government embarked on a massive year-long training program and managed to teach most school children how to say "welcome to Korea."

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 07, 2009, 06:31:53 AM
In the buildup to the 88 Olympics the Korean government embarked on a massive year-long training program and managed to teach most school children how to say "welcome to Korea."

And 20 years later, most can now manage "Hello", "What's your name?" "How are you?", and "Fine, thank you. And you?"
;)
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 07, 2009, 06:31:53 AM

Is that how you became fluent in English?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Not trying to pull a Don'tSayBanana, but the "correct" spelling in pinyin (i.e. modern, standardized Romanization) for Mandarin is "pu tong hua" or "pǔ ​tōng ​huà​" with the tones marked.

I suck at pinyin  :blush:

Camerus

Apropos to what I was saying in the Brit-in-Quebec thread, it just goes to show the yawning gulf between learning a language in elementary or secondary school, and actually being able to use it in real life.