News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languages

Started by Eddie Teach, September 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you fluent in any foreign languages?

Yes, but only English
13 (19.4%)
Yes, in addition to English(which isn't my native tongue)
18 (26.9%)
Yes, and English is my native tongue
13 (19.4%)
No, English only
22 (32.8%)
No comprendo(the Jaron/IKK option)
1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on September 06, 2009, 04:34:56 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 06, 2009, 04:32:24 PM
You conveniently forgot Hebrew. :rolleyes:

I don't know any Hebrew at all.  :D
Go back to Hebrew School young man.  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on September 06, 2009, 03:46:48 PM
Actually, the "putting on airs" part more globally goes to your attempts to play the role of encyclopedia brown.
Einstein Anderson > Encyclopedia Brown.  :mad:

Admiral Yi

Saying nihongo is like using gwailo (sp?).  The people who understand will understand and those who don't can ask if they want.

BTW does anyone know how to say Mandarin and Cantonese in Mandarin and Cantonese?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 06, 2009, 07:16:50 PM
BTW does anyone know how to say Mandarin and Cantonese in Mandarin and Cantonese?
Mono and Jacob may have an idea.  If they ever get here <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

There are transliterations on Wiki.  From what I can tell:

Mandarin: Guān Huà
Cantonese: Yuè Yǔ

Neil

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 06, 2009, 03:29:11 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on September 06, 2009, 03:25:02 PM
You could say japanese you know  :rolleyes:

Meh. I just prefer to call languages by their native names as a matter of preference. I could just as easily have said German, Spanish, Japanese, and French, but I decided against it. :mellow:
Wow.  Your level of pretension is absolutely stunning.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on September 06, 2009, 07:20:37 PM
There are transliterations on Wiki.  From what I can tell:

Mandarin: Guān Huà
Cantonese: Yuè Yǔ
Shit.  There's no way to remember that gobbledy gook.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on September 06, 2009, 06:57:29 PM
Einstein Anderson > Encyclopedia Brown.  :mad:

I hated the latter.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 06, 2009, 07:16:50 PM
Saying nihongo is like using gwailo (sp?).  The people who understand will understand and those who don't can ask if they want.

In Cantonese:

Mandarin: there is more than one way to say "Mandarin" in Cantonese.  The most common way is "Po Tung Wah" - literally, "ordinary language".  Another, less common expression is "Gwok Yu", which means the "national language". 

Cantonese: Gwong Dong Wah.  As you can guess, the "wah" means language.  "Yu" also means language, but "yu" is more formal than "wah".  We usually say "wah" but write "yu".  In Cantonese, the written and spoken forms can be quite different.  Yet another word that means language is "Man".  It is important to know when to say what.  "Wah" is usually associated with dialects or spoken languages.  "Ying" is the abbreviation of "England".  So to say "English" in Cantonese, we say "Ying Man" or "Ying Yu".  The latter is more formal than the former.  "Ying Wah" is not acceptable.  It is hard, so stop learning  :P

In Mandarin:

Mandarin: Pu Tong Hwah.  It may look pretty similar to Cantonese, but the tone and stress are actually quite different. 
Cantonese: Guang Dong Hwah. 

Monoriu

One thing that annoys me to no end is the westerners' fascination with languages.  They love learning new languages; they expect other people to learn their languages, and they want to learn Chinese when they are in Hong Kong.  But a lot of them don't appreciate that the barrier between English and Chinese is much more formidable than, say, the rift between English and French.  Most of the Chinese-learners speak extremely crappy Cantonese, to the point that it is completely unintelligible.  Yet they insist in saying it.  Another thing is, when I see a Caucausion face, I expect to process English.  I just cannot understand your crappy Cantonese so please stop trying  :P

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Monoriu on September 06, 2009, 09:10:50 PMAnother thing is, when I see a Caucausion face, I expect to process English.  I just cannot understand your crappy Cantonese so please stop trying  :P

This is why I've always refused to speak English with Orientals.  I just cannot understand their fobbish English and wish they would just go bring me the cashew chicken.

Monoriu

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on September 06, 2009, 09:55:48 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 06, 2009, 09:10:50 PMAnother thing is, when I see a Caucausion face, I expect to process English.  I just cannot understand your crappy Cantonese so please stop trying  :P

This is why I've always refused to speak English with Orientals.  I just cannot understand their fobbish English and wish they would just go bring me the cashew chicken.

I thought your job is to teach them :contract:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on September 06, 2009, 09:06:24 PM
Mandarin: Pu Tong Hwah.  It may look pretty similar to Cantonese, but the tone and stress are actually quite different. 
Cantonese: Guang Dong Hwah.
Interesting.  The Korean word for ordinary is potong.  And everyone knows Guang Dong is the new, hip way of saying Canton.  So maybe I can remember those.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on September 06, 2009, 03:31:58 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 06, 2009, 03:29:11 PM
Meh. I just prefer to call languages by their native names as a matter of preference. I could just as easily have said German, Spanish, Japanese, and French, but I decided against it. :mellow:

Don't worry, we're used to you putting on airs. :hug:

I am surprised though that you've only admitted to being fluent in one other language! :o

Agree.  Airs were put on.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017