British citizen creates national uproar in Quebec

Started by viper37, September 04, 2009, 04:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 08, 2009, 04:03:04 PM
Not the fact that it's english. But the fact that 2 french speaking people can't use their own language because people around them might not understand.

2 Mexican, a pilot & a ATC. Do they speak English?

We are sensitive over this. There's 300 years of being put down behind it.

Also, I believe there's no way for you to even understand how we feel as a culture, society & people.

Your people is incredibly retarded and unlikable.

Grow. Up.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Also, I believe there's no way for you to even understand how we feel as a culture, society & people.

The only people ever "oppressed"? :yeahright:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Not the fact that it's english. But the fact that 2 french speaking people can't use their own language because people around them might not understand.

We are sensitive over this. There's 300 years of being put down behind it.

As a Francophone pilot he probably does.  He just doesn't see your feelings as relevant since he became an Uncle Tom for The (Anglophone) Man.
PDH!

HVC

Quote from: garbon on September 08, 2009, 04:09:05 PM

The only people ever "oppressed"? :yeahright:
you've got a rich white momma, you can't play the opressed race card :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

I thought all ATC-pilot interaction was in English as international language :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: HVC on September 08, 2009, 04:11:22 PM

Who said I was playing any card...and if I was, do you really think race would be the first card that I'd play? :yeahright:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on September 08, 2009, 04:13:05 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 08, 2009, 04:11:22 PM

Who said I was playing any card...and if I was, do you really think race would be the first card that I'd play? :yeahright:

I would guess a scented business card, just like Peter Lorre in the Maltese Falcon.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 08, 2009, 04:11:43 PM
I thought all ATC-pilot interaction was in English as international language :mellow:

I find the idea that this is a Bad Thing simply astounding.

Almost as astounding as it as the response to my request for examples of how oppressive being a french speaking Canadian is - wow, Air Traffic Control. It isn't exactly being forced to sit at the back of the bus or tolerate the (not so) occasional lynching, is it?

Funny how much humans enjoy being a victim.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

The guys in your example are aircraft controllers. I can well imagine a situation in which it would be more than slightly important that other airplane pilots in the sky understand what they are saying to pilot #1.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 08, 2009, 04:16:40 PM
I would guess a scented business card, just like Peter Lorre in the Maltese Falcon.

Would you believe that I've lost my business cards? :weep:

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on September 08, 2009, 04:21:57 PM
Almost as astounding as it as the response to my request for examples of how oppressive being a french speaking Canadian is - wow, Air Traffic Control. It isn't exactly being forced to sit at the back of the bus or tolerate the (not so) occasional lynching, is it?

At the very least he could have said about how they are demonize and they grow up being told that their way of life is a sin.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on September 08, 2009, 04:33:40 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 08, 2009, 04:21:57 PM

At the very least he could have said about how they are demonize and they grow up being told that their way of life is a sin.

Francophone aircraft controllers I don't have a problem with. Gay ones now - they'd spend all their time gossiping and bitching about the pilots, and cause plane crashes.

:P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

I know that most of you guys don't understand French.

but this doc explains much better the issue I was trying to describe : http://www.radio-canada.ca/emissions/tout_le_monde_en_parlait/2009/Reportage.asp?idDoc=84876
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 08, 2009, 03:15:05 PM
No that would be silly and counterproductive.  But trying getting a job these days in a French investment bank without speaking english.
Same here.
I don't think you understand the point Oex and I are trying to make.

We do not support unilingualism.  and I think I speak for Oex when saying that we both, in fact, want our people to be as much bilingual (english&french) as possible and even learn one more language (spanish has some use, for example).

Ah, how should I explain... Being forced to learn a foreign language for daily live, of just to communicate with your boss, in a province where the majority of the people speak your native tongue is not the same as learning a language for casual or event frequent use at your workplace with clients that speak only english.
Interacting with foreigners in a foreign language is one thing.  Having to interact with people living here who are simply too lazy to bother learning the language of the majority, that I would never accept.

If I move to Germany, I'll learn German, even if I'm pretty sure I could get by with just English.  Same with Belgium, I'd learn Dutch if I was in Brussel or Flanders.

I don't expect tourists to learn French just to visit my province.  Even in my small home town they can usually manage to get bilingual service at McDonald's or Subway and I'm fine with that (I wish them good luck if they need to go to an hospital though... ;) )

However, I'm always annoyed of being spoken to in English in Montreal.  Heck, I once nearly left a restaurant because the waitress did not want to give me a French menu.  It was only at the insistance of my english speaking friends that she gave me one and started speaking to me in French.

And that's not 1950.  In 1950, there would have been no French menu at all.

It's little things like that begins to annoy people.

Wrong - Arabic is an official language of the State of Israel.
Then I stand corrected.  There must be tons of businesses advertizing only in Arabic?
And I suppose it's the norm in many parts of Israel when you don't get a job if you don't speak Arabic, and where you're denied services because you don't speak Arabic?
There was a common saying in Montreal, once upon a time, that was "Speak white or leave".  Meaning, speak english or go away.
Imagine a Israeli citizen walking in Jerusalem, and asking a question to a merchant in Yiddish.  He's then told to speak the language of the Prophet or go away.
And to most places you go in Jerusalem, that would be the same thing.

That was Montreal in the 1950s.

The language laws are sometimes strict, and way too bureaucratic, and I'd love nothing more than some flexibility to it.
But removing them completely is akin to surrender.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on September 08, 2009, 04:29:30 PM
The guys in your example are aircraft controllers. I can well imagine a situation in which it would be more than slightly important that other airplane pilots in the sky understand what they are saying to pilot #1.
Meeting at a Federal government work place, in Quebec.
5 French speakers.
1 English speaker.
Everyone speaks english.

If I was in Ontario and be the only one speaking French, do you think everyone would hold the meeting in French?

Having seen it first eye, the answer is no ;)
And no, I did not complain, nor did I feel insulted.

But in Quebec, I felt a little annoyed that someone could get a job there without first being bilingual.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.