News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Things to Say to Cold Calling Brokers

Started by The Minsky Moment, September 03, 2009, 11:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

I get calls mostly from insurance brokers.  I don't know about the US, but it is illegal for stock brokers to cold call people here (it is ok if you have an account with them).

If someone calls me, I *have* to pick up the phone.  Because there is no caller ID, and that call maybe from my boss.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 03, 2009, 06:34:56 PM
Yeah, "I'm already a member/subscriber/etc" is a good one.  You're not really supposed to accuse the customer of lying, just thank them.

We played dumb, tried to sound "conversational," and asked what they thought of the cover article. :blush:

Seriously, I was stuck in one of those fired/quit situations because I was too ethical for the manager. We had a guy who would manually dial refusals and prank call them, in one case ordering 200 double cheeseburgers at a McDonald's halfway across the country.

Those of us who are sane and work as telemarketers hate the job and ourselves. Those who enjoy the job... are usually a pretty "special" breed.
Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 03, 2009, 06:20:06 PM
Doesn't really work in a profession like Minsky's, where you may be getting a call from a client.

Oh when I get calls like that at work, I pickup and then hangup. Some might say that is rude, but I think they are rude for calling me*.

*Incidentally I feel the same way about those people who try to get you to sign up/donate money for the environment and people who beg you for money.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

citizen k

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 03, 2009, 12:33:33 PM
"I'm sorry I don't take cold calls, goodbye!".

Regrettable that one has to be so abrupt; but, from being quite rare, these calls have increased in frequency.

Does Britain have a Do Not Call list? I'm on the one for the U.S. and I only receive calls from businesses that I already do business with.

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, it's called the calling preference service or something like that. I've signed up to it and it has eliminated about 80% of the cold calls.

One of my biggest problems though is with my bank. Whenever I move money around they get tremendously excited and get into contact. They want me to become a "private client" and receive their "free, independent financial advice". Now, I have enough money that it would be profitable for them to get their hands on it, but not enough money to get high quality financial advice for free (I'm not sure there is any such thing at all in fact).

Monoriu

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 04, 2009, 02:50:59 AM
Yes, it's called the calling preference service or something like that. I've signed up to it and it has eliminated about 80% of the cold calls.

One of my biggest problems though is with my bank. Whenever I move money around they get tremendously excited and get into contact. They want me to become a "private client" and receive their "free, independent financial advice". Now, I have enough money that it would be profitable for them to get their hands on it, but not enough money to get high quality financial advice for free (I'm not sure there is any such thing at all in fact).

If it is possible to get good financial advice, we won't get it from banks, even from so-called "private banking".  I reached that conclusion after reading this -

http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_CH/ch/services/consulting/article/dfec586731101210VgnVCM100000ba42f00aRCRD.htm

(choose reconnecting for profit)

The study surveyed the really high end bank clients.  Even they are not happy with the financial advice they get.  They feel the banks are "product pushers".  They don't think they are getting anywhere near objective advice.  Simply, they just don't trust their bank advisors. 

If even the billionaires don't get objective advice, us the little guys are just distribution channels. 

Even if the bank as an organization want to develop a long-term relationship with its clients, the staff won't.  They're just concerned with this month's paycheck. 

The Larch

I got tons of cold calls at home, always from South American people (I've never talked to a Spaniard until the "pass me to your manager" phase), all of them offering me swell internet deals or new awesome cell phone packages. I even got scammed once, damn sweet talking Argentinian lady.

The other day it got so bad I even disconnected the phone in order not to be bothered.

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Caliga

This thread has: inspired me.

The next time I get a solicitation via phone, I'll start singing The Major General's Song from Pirates of Penzance to the dude.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

swallow

@ Warspite
:lol: It's great, my son quite often answers the 'phone now an they tend to give up because he keeps asking hem questions.

My standard reply which works is 'sorry, I'm just about to go out right now and I'm afraid there won't be a covenient time at a later date'  The second half is vital because they ask for a better time otherwise

Caliga

One time my mom got a cold call from someone trying to sell curtains or blinds or something, and she said "I'm sorry but we live in a cave" in an effort to get the person off the call.  They STILL kept trying to sell to her. :huh:  I think she ddi just hang up on them eventually.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

Some gems from experiences with hanging around Kain and a couple other friends:

"City Morgue; you dice 'em, we ice 'em."
"Autobot Headquarters, Optimus Prime speaking."
Scream "BATMAN!" and hang up the phone.

Also, making up insane drivel is a good way to get telemarketers to take you off the list- the pitch person will try to run it through as a sale ("If it's not a no, it's a go"- solid answers only needed for "will you pay for this"), but even sleazy PBP's quality control wouldn't allow that sale to go through.
Experience bij!

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

I don't get cold callers on my cell and since I don't have any old-skool phone I don't have the problem.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

You guys should try unlisted numbers.  Well worth it.  I never get cold call telemarketers.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.