News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Things to Say to Cold Calling Brokers

Started by The Minsky Moment, September 03, 2009, 11:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

If I pick up an unknown number and its a marketer I hang up immediately without saying anything.

Zanza

I think they outlawed that kind of calling here. I never had that at least. Sometimes the bank where I have an account calls and asks whether I want to have a talk with them but I always just postpone that for another year. ;)

saskganesh

@ Neil. sure I get real people. usually some nice man or woman from Bengal or New Brunswick.
humans were created in their own image

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on September 03, 2009, 12:56:23 PM
WHat I hate are the cold calls from companies you have a pre-existing dealing with.  My bank is particularily bad for this.  I generally like dealing with them, but they insist on calling every few weeks...

I got a call from an SBC/AT&T guy, which made me listen for a second to make sure they weren't disconnecting my phone or something. He got his pitch in and it sounded like a killer deal on internet. I hesitated, and he made it even better. I thought, "here is a major company, I should be able to trust the guy" and switched my ISP.

Total mistake--the guy lied about a bunch of key terms. Three months later I cancelled the new internet and went back to my old provider. The SBC/AT&T people didn't argue or put up a fight at all after I told my story--I'm guessing I wasn't unique. The first and last time I've bought from a telemarketer.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

viper37

Quote from: Neil on September 03, 2009, 12:44:33 PM
You guys actually get cold calls from real people?  The few I've gotten are always a machine asking me to hit 1 to lower my interest rates or something.
We are important to them.  They tell us while we wait 30 minutes on the phone.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jos Theelen

"I never buy something by the phone. Point me to some website with the relevant information."

Barrister

Quote from: Jos Theelen on September 03, 2009, 01:41:40 PM
"I never buy something by the phone. Point me to some website with the relevant information."

This is a good one and I have used it on occasion.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valdemar

Here it is mostly insurance or papers, most others are illegal.

With insurance I merely point out what my current company is and they excuse the trouble and hang up :)

Thank Hod for organised labour and their insurance companies.. the money making kinds can't compete and they know it :D

V

Jaron

FUCK, I *HATE* these calls.

Indian woman: "Sir, we're calling in regards to an overdue balance on your credit.."

Me: "NOT INTERESTED. TAKE ME OFF YOUR LIST."

Sure enough though, they call me again and again and again. I have no clue where those...toweleheads got my number from.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on September 03, 2009, 02:28:44 PM
FUCK, I *HATE* these calls.

Indian woman: "Sir, we're calling in regards to an overdue balance on your credit.."

Me: "NOT INTERESTED. TAKE ME OFF YOUR LIST."

Sure enough though, they call me again and again and again. I have no clue where those...toweleheads got my number from.

:lol:

Vintage.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I'm not allowed to answer the phone anymore. :(  If female, I would tell the operator she has a sexy voice and ask if she'd like to hook up sometime.  If male, I'd ask questions like "Is this Greg?"  "Where's Greg?"  "How did you get this number" "put Greg on the phone".  In essence I'd ramble on as long as possible before they would hang up.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

"I already have an investment account and am happy with it."

The neat thing about this statement is that it's actually true.  :)

Of course, it never gets the guy to actually hang up, so I usually hang up before he finishes the next sales hook.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jaron

Quote from: Caliga on September 03, 2009, 03:09:56 PM
"I already have an investment account and am happy with it."

The neat thing about this statement is that it's actually true.  :)

Of course, it never gets the guy to actually hang up, so I usually hang up before he finishes the next sales hook.

That is quite delicious indeed.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Iormlund

I don't have that kind of problem. The only phone line with my name on the contract doesn't have a actual phone at its end. It's for DSL only.