News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Glenn Beck: Murderer and Rapist?

Started by Syt, September 02, 2009, 03:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Hansmeister on September 02, 2009, 08:04:34 AM
I didn't remember anybody complaining then.  Back then it was good journalism, now it is called hysterics.  I guess it is simply a function of whether the person attacked is a (R) or a (D).

We probably didn't complain because we didn't care.  We did elect him President twice after all.

Taking drugs only makes you more popular with the American people, a President we can all relate to.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Strix

This is probably backlash from Beck calling Obama a racist and refusing to retract his statement or issuing an apology. The left tried going after his sponsorship but that didn't effect his show, so looks like they might be trying a different angle.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Ed Anger

Beck makes Olbermann appear rational.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 02, 2009, 09:31:15 AM
Beck makes flower unicorns in the clouds look rational.
Let's bomb Russia!

Berkut

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 02, 2009, 09:31:15 AM

I can't say I've been exposed to much of either of them, but they look pretty equally insane/catering to their nutbar viewership's.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on September 02, 2009, 09:48:59 AM
I can't say I've been exposed to much of either of them, but they look pretty equally insane/catering to their nutbar viewership's.

At least Olbermann was a hell of a sportscaster.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

KRonn

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/video08.html?maven_referralObject=8990946&maven_referralPlaylistId=&sRevUrl=http://www.foxnews.com/

I don't want to plug Beck but I saw part of his show on this adviser this week, and Beck has done others on some of the Czars. No, I don't watch Beck a lot; I see some parts of his shows sometimes, but get annoyed with too much stridency by any of these guys, right or left wing.

I saw this youtube by Obama's Green Jobs special adviser. Oddball stuff or not? And who are the oddballs? Part way in the youtube on the Green job adviser plays, a couple of times. Sorry if you watch and have to see Beck.

The Minsky Moment

All these guys - Beck, Limbaugh, Colter, Olbermann, Franken, etc. - are just the modern day equivalents of Barnum's circus barkers.  It is just a crude form of mass entertainment that happens to use current events and political news as a point of departure.  What is unfortunate is that organizations that hold themsleves out as real purveyors of objective news provide the platform in a setting that at least attempts to suggest some kind of broader legitimacy.  But at the end of the day it can't be stopped because that is what puts the eyeballs on sets and makes money.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 02, 2009, 11:54:47 AM
All these guys - Beck, Limbaugh, Colter, Olbermann, Franken, etc. - are just the modern day equivalents of Barnum's circus barkers.  It is just a crude form of mass entertainment that happens to use current events and political news as a point of departure.  What is unfortunate is that organizations that hold themsleves out as real purveyors of objective news provide the platform in a setting that at least attempts to suggest some kind of broader legitimacy.  But at the end of the day it can't be stopped because that is what puts the eyeballs on sets and makes money.

+1
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 02, 2009, 11:54:47 AM

Yep.  Hopefully fewer of them get elected to the Senate in the future.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Hansmeister on September 02, 2009, 08:04:34 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2009, 07:59:23 AM
Quote from: Hansmeister on September 02, 2009, 06:28:19 AM
Ironically, this is the exact same method the MSM used in 2000 to go after Bush's alleged cocain use.

How is that ironic? :unsure:
I didn't remember anybody complaining then.  Back then it was good journalism, now it is called hysterics.  I guess it is simply a function of whether the person attacked is a (R) or a (D).

It would help if they had at least an example of Beck actually engaging in spinning rumors as facts, other than just claiming he did(I don't know if he does or doesn't, don't really watch the show, just that it is impossible to tell from the link since no example is offered).

bah bullshit. The Bush=coke fiend thing was understood to be nothing by everyone with a brain (so maybe it was taken seriously on Languish :unsure:

I think I saw him over-reacting to the whole "Death Panel" nonsense as much as anyone else on any of the Propaganda (oops I mean News :p ) channels
:p

Eddie Teach

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on September 02, 2009, 12:12:10 PM
I think I saw him over-reacting to the whole "Death Panel" nonsense as much as anyone else on any of the Propaganda (oops I mean News :p ) channels

I wish I got MSNBC, then I could judge CNN's claims that MSNBC is the lefty bias channel and they are the fair ones. Since of course conservatives tend to lump all the non-Fox channels together.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 02, 2009, 12:21:46 PM
I wish I got MSNBC, then I could judge CNN's claims that MSNBC is the lefty bias channel and they are the fair ones. Since of course conservatives tend to lump all the non-Fox channels together.

Compared to MSNBC CNN is a bastion of radical pro-Republican apologism.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 02, 2009, 12:21:46 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on September 02, 2009, 12:12:10 PM

I've only ever watched bits here and there on MSNBC and they didn't seem really partisan... maybe I missed that part. Fox is the only station that I think has a big flag to wave. They are the "Gay Pride Parade of Conservative Politics" (tm)
:p

DGuller

I hate all this evaluation of which channel is more biased, and in which way.  This ignores a far, far bigger problem with cable news networks: they are very shoddy at giving useful information and analysis.