Canadian Politics Thread

Started by crazy canuck, September 01, 2009, 04:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 15, 2009, 12:43:01 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 15, 2009, 12:28:28 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 08, 2009, 03:19:17 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 08, 2009, 02:16:47 PM
as to the former. You actually have no idea if that's true except in your own view of things. I'm not saying you aren't smart though, I'm saying it's not a hallmark of Conservatism. There is a difference.
Tell me - do you think that intelligence *is* a hallmark of some other ideology?

No and that either/or assumption though is a hallmark of narrow mindedness.

I love how you guys try to pigeonhole everything... if I criticize the Cons, I must be Pro Liberal? Nein. I don't like Iggy and his cadre of rich lawyers anymore than I do Harper and his. Equally depraved assholes not looking out for the huddled masses before their own hides. There are never only two choices politically.

You have established your creditentials as a political nihilist for quite some time.  I dont think anyone mistakes you as a supporter of anyone.

Btw, whats the problem with rich lawyers? :mad:

Nothing when they are being lawyers, but when the become MPs/MLAs they seem intent on taking away everything I love about Canada * see my incoherent rants about arts cuts, and undeserved raises while the country/province is running deficit. Maybe they feel they deserve those raises because had they stayed practicing instead of governing, they'd be making more probably. but no one is forced into public service.

Politicians should be setting examples in tough times and good times, not raising our tax burden to line their pockets and their friends' pockets (big business)
:p

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 15, 2009, 12:43:01 PM
Btw, whats the problem with rich lawyers? :mad:

That I'm not one of them. :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

BuddhaRhubarb

well how would the rich lawyers be able to measure their success without you Beeb. You do have a role. :p

seriously though... I think being a Prosecutor is a pretty darned tough Lawyer-y thing to do. Maybe the hardest, in human terms. So I'm glad You are doing it, as you seem to be tough but fair minded.
:p

Barrister

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 15, 2009, 12:59:29 PM
well how would the rich lawyers be able to measure their success without you Beeb. You do have a role. :p

seriously though... I think being a Prosecutor is a pretty darned tough Lawyer-y thing to do. Maybe the hardest, in human terms. So I'm glad You are doing it, as you seem to be tough but fair minded.

What's with all the damn compliments recently.  Have you guys heard something that I haven't?  :unsure:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 15, 2009, 01:34:00 PM
You have prostate cancer.

I knew it!  Why didn't you tell me earlier?

Grey Fox

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 15, 2009, 12:43:34 PM
doesn't mean either of them (or any of the other lesser parties either) are the right man for the job. Seems to me it;s a voting for the lesser evil scenario. For me personally it's not hard to choose however as locally which is the only way I can vote, neither the Libs or the Cons have any profile whatsoever. My riding is Orangier than an actual orange. So I'll vote NDP, because none of the other parties has an ice cube's chance in hell of getting more than a smattering of votes.

If there's actually another election this year. I may not vote for the first time ever. That's how much I dislike the whole bunch on the Hill however.
One of them has to be the right man for the job, because there's no one else applying.

At any rate, giving money to big business is probably a better overall investment than giving it to the arts.  Big business tends to employ large numbers of people.  The arts do not.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 15, 2009, 01:07:15 PM
What's with all the damn compliments recently. 

Dont worry, the pendulem will swing back again.

crazy canuck

Lets start a pool to guess how long it will take for Iggy to find a reason to go back to Academia.  He likely thought he was walking into the top job and now he may go down in history as being worse then Dion...

My guess is he leaves before the next election.  He will find some personal reason for necessitating his departure.

Grey Fox

Denis Coderre triumphant return or will the Liberal party perish at the hands of Bob Ray?

Grallon

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 23, 2009, 11:58:12 AM

My guess is he leaves before the next election.  He will find some personal reason for necessitating his departure.

I quite enjoyed the jabs Dion's wife took at him on Facebook last friday.  Apparently she's deleted her Facebook account since.  :lol:

She said the Liberal Party was going nowhere; the party leaders chose Iggy more for his hability to waltz through cocktail parties than for any other reasons; that the Party will become like those shrivelled little things one sees in Europe, always dependant on coalitions to survive... and more besides.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Malthus

Quote from: Grallon on November 23, 2009, 12:26:45 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 23, 2009, 11:58:12 AM

I quite enjoyed the jabs Dion's wife took at him on Facebook last friday.  Apparently she's deleted her Facebook account since.  :lol:

She said the Liberal Party was going nowhere; the party leaders chose Iggy more for his hability to waltz through cocktail parties than for any other reasons; that the Party will become like those shrivelled little things one sees in Europe, always dependant on coalitions to survive... and more besides.

G.

Heh, yet another Facebook catfight to make the papers.

It's a sad commentary that this seems to be the most interesting thing about the Libs in some time.

The problem is, we as a country need the Libs, or at least something analogous to them - there isn't another party in Canada that has national reach and a serious chance of forming a government *without* being "dependant on coalitions to survive".

What I realy fear is unrelieved decades of Con hegemony. That will work out just as well as unrelieved decades of Lib hegemony - that is, not great.  For that reason, I seriously hope the Libs find a voice and some guts soon.

Both Iggy and Dion are symptoms, not causes, of a more basic problem: the Libs are no longer sure about what they stand for. Trudeau's vision (love it or hate it) of a Canada centred on an equal partnership of English and French Canada under a strong federal gov't isn't as relevant to modern Canada, due to the fragmentation of English Canada; official multiculturalism isn't a replacement, since it merely recognizes that fragmentation without articulating a strong set of shared values.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on November 23, 2009, 12:38:38 PM
Both Iggy and Dion are symptoms, not causes, of a more basic problem: the Libs are no longer sure about what they stand for. Trudeau's vision (love it or hate it) of a Canada centred on an equal partnership of English and French Canada under a strong federal gov't isn't as relevant to modern Canada, due to the fragmentation of English Canada; official multiculturalism isn't a replacement, since it merely recognizes that fragmentation without articulating a strong set of shared values.

Under Chretien the Liberals came to believe the moniker of "Natural Governing Party" would guarrantee them electorale success.  Over time the Liberals lost the ability to provide any good reason for voting for them other then "We arent the Conservatives".   But , despite efforts to demonize Harper, that doesn't play as well as it once did.