News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Canadian Politics Thread

Started by crazy canuck, September 01, 2009, 04:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 08, 2009, 11:34:16 AM

Do you really think that the PM learned how to sing and play the piano so that he could make a "surprise" appearance.  Or do you think it more likely that it happened just as they say it did and that he does know how to play the piano, that he can carry a tune and that his wife suggested to him that he do it?  If he was faking, he did a really great job.

Why do you insist on being disingenuous?  Did I say fake?  No.  I said staged.  You're simply being your hypocritical self as usual.  I'll remind you that when there's a function where the PM is invited there's bound to be someone with a camcell phone.  This was staged, and timed, to leak into the media in the wake of the Liberal discomfiture.  It's a prepup for the elections.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Barrister on October 08, 2009, 11:07:17 AM
While I respect Josephus and Buddha's opinions and thoughts on these things, I have to say they are both terrible prognosticators when it comes to how the rest of Canada will view things.

So you think most Canadians want yearly elections that cost untold millions? I hope not. But what I also said in that post was that this will help him get his majority and plunge us into 12 years of being ruled by people I personally think are tools. Of course if he somehow bungles it and Iggy wins (unlikely) then we have 12 years of tools who think they are smarter than everyone else. Harper just thinks he's better than everyone, not necessarily smarter. Intelligence has never been the hallmark of conservatism.

I don't believe in any of our leaders right now. I reserve the right to be cynical about people I do not trust. Playing piano on a lark does not make him seem more human to me... it makes him seem like he's trying to be more human. That's a good step in the right direction. But If this and his Hockey book give him a Majority, what are the odds he'll have policies that have any of my interests at heart? ZERO.
:p

Barrister

Quote from: Grallon on October 08, 2009, 01:51:14 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 08, 2009, 11:34:16 AM

Do you really think that the PM learned how to sing and play the piano so that he could make a "surprise" appearance.  Or do you think it more likely that it happened just as they say it did and that he does know how to play the piano, that he can carry a tune and that his wife suggested to him that he do it?  If he was faking, he did a really great job.

Why do you insist on being disingenuous?  Did I say fake?  No.  I said staged.  You're simply being your hypocritical self as usual.  I'll remind you that when there's a function where the PM is invited there's bound to be someone with a camcell phone.  This was staged, and timed, to leak into the media in the wake of the Liberal discomfiture.  It's a prepup for the elections.

So it's staged because it involves the Prime Minister?

By that reasoning everything the Prime Minister ever does in public is staged.  I'm not sure that label is very helpful then.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 08, 2009, 01:57:21 PM
Intelligence has never been the hallmark of conservatism.
I am conservative.  Am I not the most intelligent of us all?
QuoteI don't believe in any of our leaders right now. I reserve the right to be cynical about people I do not trust. Playing piano on a lark does not make him seem more human to me... it makes him seem like he's trying to be more human. That's a good step in the right direction. But If this and his Hockey book give him a Majority, what are the odds he'll have policies that have any of my interests at heart? ZERO.
Perhaps you should attempt to have more normal interests then.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Neil on October 08, 2009, 02:03:21 PM
Intelligence has never been the hallmark of conservatism.
I am conservative.  Am I not the most intelligent of us all?
QuoteI don't believe in any of our leaders right now. I reserve the right to be cynical about people I do not trust. Playing piano on a lark does not make him seem more human to me... it makes him seem like he's trying to be more human. That's a good step in the right direction. But If this and his Hockey book give him a Majority, what are the odds he'll have policies that have any of my interests at heart? ZERO.
Perhaps you should attempt to have more normal interests then.

1. No. No you are not.
2. My interests are: Movies, Books, and Hockey. totally abnormal?

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 08, 2009, 02:06:08 PM
1. No. No you are not.
1.  Incorrect.  I am.  By far.
2.  And you feel that Harper's policies are damaging to movies, books and hockey?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

While I respect Josephus and Buddha's opinions and thoughts on these things, I have to say they are both terrible prognosticators when it comes to how the rest of Canada will view things.

That's not entirely fair. I have said, and have been saying, that the Conservatives are polling well and have been saying for a couple months that if an election is called, Harper will get as close to a majority as he ever will.

I just don't understand WHY the rest of Canada views things the way they do.  ;)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on October 08, 2009, 01:58:42 PM
By that reasoning everything the Prime Minister ever does in public is staged.  I'm not sure that label is very helpful then.

I"m sure everythign the prime minister does in public is staged yeah. Scripted even. That's not a dig against Harper. It's the way things are.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Neil on October 08, 2009, 02:08:50 PM
1. No. No you are not.
2.  And you feel that Harper's policies are damaging to movies, books and hockey?

like the robots running BC Harper is all about cuts to the arts (movies/books etc) Hockey is always safe in Canada. It's the one stable thing in this country.

as to the former. You actually have no idea if that's true except in your own view of things. I'm not saying you aren't smart though, I'm saying it's not a hallmark of Conservatism. There is a difference.

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 08, 2009, 02:16:47 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 08, 2009, 02:08:50 PM
1. No. No you are not.
like the robots running BC Harper is all about cuts to the arts (movies/books etc) Hockey is always safe in Canada. It's the one stable thing in this country.

as to the former. You actually have no idea if that's true except in your own view of things. I'm not saying you aren't smart though, I'm saying it's not a hallmark of Conservatism. There is a difference.
Cuts to the arts funding don't actually affect books and movies, because books and movies are made by large US-based corporations.

Intelligence isn't the hallmark of any political ideology, except for Neilism.

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on October 08, 2009, 02:12:56 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 08, 2009, 01:58:42 PM

I"m sure everythign the prime minister does in public is staged yeah. Scripted even. That's not a dig against Harper. It's the way things are.

My comment was a response to Grallon, who seemed to criticize the song for being "staged".

Barrister

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 08, 2009, 02:16:47 PM

Tell me - do you think that intelligence *is* a hallmark of some other ideology?

crazy canuck

So you think most Canadians want yearly elections that cost untold millions?

You may have noticed that the folks who where trying to force an election were the Liberals and their polling numbers show how successful that strategy was for them. ;)

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 08, 2009, 11:59:50 AM
I am sure that is what his wife had in mind.  If the left has to stoop to colouring that as some kind of right wing conspiracy then I suppose that is as good an explanation as any for why the left is so low in the polls atm.

Iggy will strike back. :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on October 08, 2009, 01:39:02 PM
:rolleyes:  I'll simply refer you to all the conservative pundits and militants in the States, who've been screaming for months about death panels, Obama nazi police and other absurdities in the healthcare reform debate.  Critical thinking indeed!
There are idiots everywhere who let their emotions interfere with their judgement.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.