Do you have a criminal record?

Started by Caliga, September 01, 2009, 12:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you have a criminal record?

Yes, with felonies
0 (0%)
Yes, with misdemeanors only
6 (9.8%)
Only citations and such (e.g. speeding tickets)
19 (31.1%)
No
36 (59%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 01, 2009, 06:33:20 PMHow do you imagine them responding now?

I'd imagine some sort of prosecution for being a drug smuggler.  Certainly, that's what I'd imagine going the other way.

Are you barred from entering Canada?

citizen k

Quote from: DGuller on September 01, 2009, 05:18:56 PM

:pinch: If that were me, I'd be more pissed off about being labeled a minor when I was 20, rather than getting a record and a fine.  Some things about US are just pathetic.
I see nothing wrong with calling a twenty year old a minor. Their brains aren't fully developed anyway.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on September 01, 2009, 06:46:24 PM
I'd imagine some sort of prosecution for being a drug smuggler.  Certainly, that's what I'd imagine going the other way.

Are you barred from entering Canada?
No, I've been back since. 

Keep in mind I'm talking about a half smoked quarter ounce bag, not a couple bales.

Monoriu

No.  I've been stopped by police several times in various places in the world, but I've never been cited or fined. 

Siege

Quote from: Monoriu on September 01, 2009, 08:31:54 PM
No.  I've been stopped by police several times in various places in the world, but I've never been cited or fined. 

Awesome. You are just like me.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Capetan Mihali

Got into a very stressful situation at the Detroit-Windsor border going into Canada as a result of the driver's ill-thought out claim that we were going to "visit a friend" in Canada without thinking of said friend's name or address.  When all we really wanted to do was drive the less-touristed parts of Southern Ontario and then see the Falls.  :(   

:Canuck:  "Where ya headed in Canada?
:)   "Waterloo, sir."
:Canuck:  "So what's in Waterloo?
:)  "Just visiting a friend, sir.
:Canuck:  "What's your friend's name?
:unsure: "Umm.... Jeff.  :)?
<_<   "Jeff what?"
:unsure:  "Jeff.... Moore?"   :blush:
<_<   [attaches pink slip to windshield wipers]  "Why don't you boys just drive on into that garage and they'll take care of you there.

Got the car torn apart completely, the fat "bad cop" agent tried to get us to admit that we were trying to illegally move to Canada because of all the clothing we had, and because we were acting so nervous. 

The worst part was that I had a fake Ontario driver's license I had bought in Times Square a couple of years before, specifically because it wasn't a US state. Had brought it along so we could hit the bars in Cleveland (I was 20 at the time).  Didn't even get carded anywhere in Cleveland, and then had to be possessing it in the single worst circumstance for having a fake Ontario DL.  (HVC: it listed my residence as Hamilton ON, per my choice.  :Canuck:)   Thank Christ they didn't find it between the pages of the 1990 Oldsmobile '88 owners manual where I stashed it at the last moment.   :worthy:

Never asked us a thing about drugs, never asked to search our overcoat pockets, but the "bad cop" looked extremely pleased as he pulled up a piece of weird electronics and confronted us smugly:

^_^  "What is THIS?" 

My friend had to humiliatingly explain that it was a small theremin.

:blink:  "Theremin?  What the hell is that??"
:bowler:  "A, uh, musical instrument, sir.." 
:mad:  "What kind of 'musical instrument' looks like this???"
:blush:   "Well, sir..." all three of us tried to explain simultaneously, "it was, uh, invented by the Soviets in the early 20s, and it, um, gives off radio waves and you play it by just holding your hand nearby and moving it around and.... :cry:  "

Thank god he found the instruction sheet that came with it, giving us some sliver of credibility.

Totally embarrassing, but we made off okay.  Had a good night out on the town in Waterloo, ON when we made it there, and then saw the majestic Falls from the Canadian side.  Ate at a great luncheonette in Niagara Falls, ON where you could get chicken salad either with just white meat or "with whatever," as the waitress put it.  I picked the with-whatever option and got plenty of bones, tendons, etc in it, but it was a sizable plate for a fair place.  Great decor and service, and great old time revolving cloth towel roll in the bathroom, too.  I forget the name.

Going back through the border, just told the US border guys we were a bunch of artsy fags on winter vacation, that story worked much better, and we got through with just a cursory inspection.  Popped the trunk, he poked around.  Then:

:alberta:  "What's in that cigar box in the backseat?" 
:Embarrass:  "Umm... arts and crafts supplies" 
:alberta:  "Would you go ahead and open it for me?"

[opens box to reveal no Cuban cigars, but plenty of glitter, popsicle sticks, feathers, gay polaroid photos...]

:rolleyes:  "Ok you boys just go on through."   
:blush:  "Thank you, sir"
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Siege

That was awesome.

Are you really gay?

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

Siege

Korea

I'm a perfect little angel.  :goodboy:

I've only been pulled over twice and that was for driving without my lights on. I just got a warning though. ^_^
I want my mother fucking points!

Siege

Quote from: Korea on September 02, 2009, 12:45:13 AM
I'm a perfect little angel.  :goodboy:

I've only been pulled over twice and that was for driving without my lights on. I just got a warning though. ^_^

You are still my favor girl in Languish.

You very sexy. (Hoep my wife aint readin tis)

Pedrito

The police once suspended my license for speeding, and I got several tickets for speeding and parking, but nothing more serious than this.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

HisMajestyBOB

Got a parking ticket at my college because I parked overnight in the meter lot (they don't check after 10pm or before 9 am) and my brake line froze, so I couldn't release the parking brake the next morning. Had to catch a ride to work, and got a $20 ticket. :angry:

Other than that, nothing. I'm well overdue for at least a speeding ticket.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Richard Hakluyt

Nothing at all, would be different if jaywalking was illegal in the UK  :bowler:

Slargos

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 01, 2009, 05:22:42 PM
Let's just say I'm not terribly eager to get a car again.

- Unsafe operation of a vehicle (reduced charge from speeding), in September 2005
- No-point violation because an accident where I was "at fault" wasn't "my fault", January 2006
- License suspended for a year, big fine, for driving uninsured when I had an accident in November 2007 which totalled my car anyway.
- :blush: The day after said accident, I was in court about an hour from here for a speeding ticket. I had to take it because in NJ, if you accrue 3 no-point violations in 5 years, you get 4 points added onto your license. I figured I'd just have to eat the 2 points, even though they offered to downgrade the ticket.

It's amazing that I, with my clean-as-a-whistle driving record catch far more flack over this stuff than you do.  :lol: