News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lee wets himself, aka Grant Takes Command

Started by Berkut, August 31, 2009, 11:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

In the ongoing series of wargames pitting Berkut against Habs, we will be playing the campaign game scenario of Grant Takes Command, from the extremely well regarded GCACW series.

Unit scale is divisions, with some brigades. This is the 1864 Overland Campaign, with Grant driving into Virginia with the goal of destroying the ANV and taking Richmond, hopefully before the fall elections, securing President Lincolns second term.

Overall map:

Posted the entire thing so you can see how very far it is to Richmond...

Anyway, you can see the starting locations up north there. The Union immediately is faced with a difficult choice - where to cross the Rapidan?

Drive due south into Western Orange county along the Orange & Alexandria  Railroad? This has the advantage of being able to use the rail line for supply, and avoids the mess of the Wilderness. However, the Confederate forces are well entrenched at the potenetial crossing points, and Mosby's Raiders make any reliance on the railroad for supply often problematic in any case.

The other (historical) alternative is to strike to the east, into the Wilderness. This has the advantage of avoiding the forts, we can use the river for supply, and we can likely get across the river before the Confederates really know what is happening. However, we wil then be likely to be embroiled in a bitter fit in the woods of the Wilderness, where our artillery advantage will be useless, and Confederate leadership can be brought to bear in sharp counter-attacks.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

A closer look at the terrain:

Option #1:

Option #2:

0 rows returned

Habbaku

I can't wait to take my first Entrenchment action.  Then another.  Then...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Winkelried

Richmont is a hard road to travel I believe.  :P

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Do what Grant did, try to manoeuvre for a victory, attritit a bit and then keep marching on Richmond.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

I say move through the Wilderness as well, just try to avoid getting to strung out so that your units can support each other if attacked.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

Quote from: Viking on August 31, 2009, 01:17:07 PM
Do what Grant did, try to manoeuvre for a victory, attritit a bit and then keep marching on Richmond.

It took Grant nearly a year. We are hoping to not repeat that performance.

0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ape

Where did you get the rules to this you basterd  :ultra:?
Been trying to get my hands on the physical game for ages, which is unpossible unless you want to shelf out enough money that would make Mono blush.
I've been trying to get my hands on this game as well as 'On to Richmon' both of wich unless you are filthy rich is to damn hard.

Berkut

I traded for it on BGG. I think I traded something lame for it as well...let me check.

OK, not lame, but still a good deal. I traded Silent War for it.

0 rows returned

Ape

Quote from: Berkut on August 31, 2009, 02:33:33 PM
I traded for it on BGG. I think I traded something lame for it as well...let me check.

OK, not lame, but still a good deal. I traded Silent War for it.
I hate you.  :cry:

Berkut

Have you pre-ordered the latest one yet? It looks excellent.

0 rows returned

Ape

Berkut

0 rows returned