And we're back!

Main Menu

Lee wets himself, aka Grant Takes Command

Started by Berkut, August 31, 2009, 11:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

There was relatively little killing for either of us.  The only notable attacks were when Longstreet and Lee combined several units to assault and effectively cripple an entire division and several other, smaller engagements in which Sheridan's cavalry routed Stuart's beleaguered forces.

Unfortunately for the game, it just doesn't make sense for anyone to really attack all that much--the CSA certainly can't afford a real offensive going awry for fear of losing their entire army while the Union forces can't get decent DRMs without their offensive devolving to a meat-grinder.

So, we both turned to maneuver...which turned into entrenchment, then back to maneuver.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

In hindsight, though, I was wary about playing this particular game in the series.  It's fairly universally-panned amongst the die-hards for not being the greatest use of the system's abilities.  We're going to give it (the system) another shot when Battle Above the Clouds is released some time this month.  Ed Beach designed that one and we generally trust his skills at game design and balance (and fun), so we'll see.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

C.C.R.

Quote from: Habbaku on October 01, 2009, 05:28:06 PM
Unfortunately for the game, it just doesn't make sense for anyone to really attack all that much--the CSA certainly can't afford a real offensive going awry for fear of losing their entire army while the Union forces can't get decent DRMs without their offensive devolving to a meat-grinder.

So, we both turned to maneuver...which turned into entrenchment, then back to maneuver.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

So, the game was a lot like that front in the actual war?

:P

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point