News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Thinking of playing BG2 again

Started by Josquius, August 26, 2009, 11:49:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saskganesh

just to clarify that, you have to drop him (when's he far away) and then exit. :)
humans were created in their own image

Josquius

OK so I've started and I've a bit of a technical problem.
The sound all sounds really echoy.
I thought this was just a weird planescape problem but its the same in BG2.
I load up the game and everything is echoed, voices sound horrid. Whats particularly odd is even after I quit the game the echo effect persists on my computer until I restart it....
I'm hoping this is a common problem with new computers and fixable!
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on September 11, 2009, 07:29:17 AM
Its easy to drop one of couples.
Just send Khald (for instance) to the other side of a area then remove him. Leave the area before he can come to you and take Jahera with him.
Do this in some forest you're not going to revisit and you have no trouble.

If you are doing a Canon run that strikes me as cheese.  If you are all about gamesmanship why would you care about the plot being coherent? :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DisturbedPervert

Just reinstalled this the other day with a bunch of mods.  Have only played with vanilla before and not for a while now.

Ended up rolling yet another thief though.  Have never played this game with any other type of character.   :blush:

Josquius

Oh, and, for what its worth I felt the kensai/mage idea a bit...bad.
Just went with a regular fighter.

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2009, 02:48:01 PM

If you are doing a Canon run that strikes me as cheese.  If you are all about gamesmanship why would you care about the plot being coherent? :P
Its also cheese to not be allowed to help a guy out because you've already got 5 friends with you.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on September 14, 2009, 03:11:29 PM
Its also cheese to not be allowed to help a guy out because you've already got 5 friends with you.

True that, true that.

The whole party limits thing is a rather annoying fourth wall breaker.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Josquius

I've decided that for RP purposes having Nalia around is good (I've got her castle afterall...) and that but....she's crap as a character.
I've got Aerie for my magicing and Yoshimo for my thieving leaving her useless. I've decided to edit her into something else but I can't decide what...
A fighter would be a bit beardy, a bard would be cool but useless, etc....
Maybe I should just make her a thief/mage rather than mage/thief (or was it the other way...) ready for when I get Imoen back.

Also is it just me or is Minsc really fragile? Why on earth is this.... He's supposed to be a tanker type but he takes damage very easily.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on September 17, 2009, 12:06:08 PM
Also is it just me or is Minsc really fragile? Why on earth is this.... He's supposed to be a tanker type but he takes damage very easily.

Well it depends on whether or not he has a shield.

QuoteI've decided that for RP purposes having Nalia around is good (I've got her castle afterall...) and that but....she's crap as a character.

A single class mage can never be crap.

Jaron

How do you get this 15 year old paladin to sleep with you
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Scipio

Quote from: Jaron on September 17, 2009, 03:47:27 PM
first, you have to convince her you're lawful good.  Then, you have to buy her flowers.  Then, you track down her dad and promise to make an honest paladin of her.  Then, after a horrible big fat paladin wedding, you get to have sex with her, only to find that she's frigid.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

saskganesh

Quote from: Jaron on September 17, 2009, 03:47:27 PM

I dunno. it's illegal in my country for adults to know that.

saskganesh

Quote from: Tyr on September 17, 2009, 12:06:08 PM
I've decided that for RP purposes having Nalia around is good (I've got her castle afterall...) and that but....she's crap as a character.
I've got Aerie for my magicing and Yoshimo for my thieving leaving her useless.

Drop Yoshimo. Use magic gear and potions (and knock spells) to buff up Nalia's thievery. Aerie is a powerful mage/cleric combo, but another Mage is never useless, while more than one thief is. Sorry Yoshi.

Minsc has Dex issues... make him harder to hit.

Galrion

Hmmm...tried to install BG from an old set a friend gave me.  Running XP and it pops a window with the header: 16 bit windows subsystem. Then in the box says the system file (c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt )is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.  I seem to recall this happening when I tried to install another older game.  Any suggestions?

saskganesh

maybe use the emulator. right click on the program, goto properties, select an earlier OS like windows 2000 or '95.

alternatively you may have missing or damaged dos files:
see http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

Galrion

That's weird. I edited in that I had figured it out, but for some reason the edit didn't stay.  I just went to the microsoft website and was very specific in the search field about what I needed and got the right page.

Also though I installed a heap of mods, but I had trouble figuring out if my BG2 mods were supposed to go to the easy tutu file like the bg1 mods or if they went in the regular bg2 files.